Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Francisco, CA - Geary Blvd. (LIVE 20 May 2021, 16 V3 + 18 Urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not on the "find us" map yet on Tesla's site. Looking at the permit tracking they just finished the "pre-final" inspection on 5/17/2021, still have not done final inspection yet. Was going to stop by, but I think I'm going to wait until they have their final inspection first, as technically they need to wait until after the final before letting the public use it.

Ah thanks for clarifying. Hope I didn't break anything. :)

Still, very happy that it's at the "pre-final" inspection stage. This seems to indicate that it's finished construction and also that PG&E has done their part.

Ah thanks for clarifying. Hope I didn't break anything. :)

Still, very happy that it's at the "pre-final" inspection stage. This seems to indicate that it's finished construction and also that PG&E has done their part.
Yep, if it's in pre-final it's pretty much ready to go. I know PG&E takes a long time in projects, so it's great news.

Geary is LIVE! 34/34 on Tesla app

64E76E8A-AF49-4162-B36E-756E8C051542.jpeg

@MarcoRP @Chuq This one is up and running (must click on the link to see bmah's post):

Please stop by and take a picture of the L2 chargers. If they are silver Gen 2 with Tesla connectors then they are free. If they have J1772 connectors on Gen 2 HPWC then they are definitely free. See this post for what a Gen 2/J1772 HPWC looks like.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
Please stop by and take a picture of the L2 chargers. If they are silver Gen 2 with Tesla connectors then they are free. If they have J1772 connectors on Gen 2 HPWC then they are definitely free. See this post for what a Gen 2/J1772 HPWC looks like.

Pretty sure these are Gen 3, they're white (posted photos above)

Power sharing on non-urban V2 sites happens in quarters. 36/72/108/144 kW. Previous to sometime in 2019 or 2020, V2 sites would give priority to the car that arrived first, with the second car getting the leftovers rounded up to the nearest 36. If you're curious about why 36, it's because the Superchargers are comprised of four groups of three 12 kW charging modules, each group has a module on each of the three phases. After sometime in 2019 or 2020, Tesla changed the way sharing works; power is immediately split in half to 72 kW for each car when a second car plugs into an A/B pair. When the first car dips below 36 kW, the second car gets an allocation of up to 108 kW. These are all nominal figures and can vary up or down depending on grid voltage and equipment condition.

V3 Superchargers handle power sharing completely differently and can save a considerable amount of time when a station is busy. V3s have 4 stalls per cabinet plus the cabinets can share power between themselves (up to 7 cabinets) on a common DC bus, plus solar and battery storage can be installed on that same DC bus to provide extra power when the transformer is maxed out (and/or charge the cars from renewables). This allows cars to part at any stall at the site and receive the maximum available power, compared to V2 which requires users to spread themselves out and avoid sharing A/B pairs.

AC (grid) input on each cabinet is only 350 kW and the utility transformer could range anywhere from 500 kVA (500 kW at 1:1 power factor) to 1,000 kVA for an 8 stall V3 site (leaving room for future expansion) depending on what the utility can support at any given location. With neither solar nor battery storage on an 8 stall site with 8 cars charging, a V3 site would be limited to about 87.5 kW per vehicle due to the AC input limitation of the charging cabinets.
This is incredibly helpful. Thank you for sharing details about the charging split. I was still of the mentality that "first = higher charge rate" at V2 stations, and was confused when energy delivery immediately dropped to 70kW or lower when a second person connected to my "pair" during recent supercharger visits.