Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Francisco, CA - Geary Blvd. (LIVE 20 May 2021, 16 V3 + 18 Urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the WF has been
blocked by NIMBYs, possibly for *years*:
From reading the article it doesn't sound like NIMBYs were the ones throwing up roadblocks. The reporting said that the project had wide support by those living in the area. The opposition is from the grocery workers' union local who object to Whole Foods (and Amazon) not being union shops. So, they wouldn't care about it being in this particular "back yard", they don't want Whole Foods building/expanding anywhere.

"Whole Foods opponents who filed the appeal include the United Food and Commercial Workers Local 5, and residents Julie Fisher and Tony Vargas."

The article doesn't give any more information about Mr. Vargas, but Ms. Fisher is identified as being a local resident who is also a member of the grocery workers union. And the quoted basis of her objection sounds like it's also over the labor issues. The environmental review they are pushing for is just the means available to them to try and block progress on the location.

ETA Q2 2021!!

Tesla updated their supercharger map with upcoming chargers along with the quarter they will be available.

Find Us | Tesla

vPeifFa.png

• Informative
Reactions: kevin1
The online permit record shows an inspection from the end of January (2021-01-20), so it's possible that there is activity on the build for this location. If anyone should be in the area and has some time to spare, go poking around to see if there's anything to see. Be aware though, there's a series of parking lots there (and more than one level for some of them), so it may take a while to be sure to have covered the place.

• Informative
Reactions: kevin1
The online permit record shows an inspection from the end of January (2021-01-20), so it's possible that there is activity on the build for this location. If anyone should be in the area and has some time to spare, go poking around to see if there's anything to see. Be aware though, there's a series of parking lots there (and more than one level for some of them), so it may take a while to be sure to have covered the place.

I was by there Sunday Feb. 21 and there wasn't anything to see in the surface lot in front of the former Best Buy, which I had assumed was the most likely location from the permit description. But if the city inspected something, perhaps the actual location is better hidden, such as inside the parking garage. From what I've seen, the garage entrance from the Best Buy lot has been blocked with a single cone for at least a few months now.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
Just went by this morning and there is some action! Looks like it is going to be on the top most parking lot, above where Best Buy used to be. Saw some large boxes all wrapped up, and one that was unwrapped that has a technical drawing taped to it with “Tesla -City Center” written on it, seems to be a transformer. The only other thing on this top floor parking lot is a preschool, Bright Horizons.
CC6E19BC-35F4-43BD-B150-038A45376C0F.jpeg
1465CCF2-5146-43B8-BD93-31E7B48AEC13.jpeg
6270B1A9-D6F3-4A39-8B8D-EF9E00A9CC64.jpeg
1A5D50A0-14A8-4B3F-95D4-959602DBD91A.jpeg
2E9FAFB3-3DC1-406F-A9FB-AF03AC69D19C.jpeg
B54D3C3D-6BEC-45EA-83E7-D203EE28D7B3.jpeg
C03B0537-3FCC-4150-A26C-7860CD41F6E7.jpeg

Some additional photos I received via DM. There are preliminary markings where the stalls will be placed. It looks like there will be Superchargers on multiple floors, as the shipping order on the cabinet (photo 2) says only 4 of the cabinets were shipped to the "top".

Attachments

• SFGeary1.jpg
    SFGeary1.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 99
  • SFGeary2.jpg
    SFGeary2.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 93
  • SFGeary3.jpg
    SFGeary3.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 104
  • SFGeary4.jpg
    SFGeary4.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 100
Some additional photos I received via DM. There are preliminary markings where the stalls will be placed. It looks like there will be Superchargers on multiple floors, as the shipping order on the cabinet (photo 2) says only 4 of the cabinets were shipped to the "top".

What I gather from the shipping order is that this site will include 16 V3 stalls and 18 urban stalls, for a total of 34 stalls.

This site is most welcomed and will be very busy!!! SF folks have it tough. Garages are mostly used as storage so I dunno how people charge.
I will never understand why people dump their stuff/remodel the garage to be a multipurpose room etc. Being not from the US originally and seeing you guys have garages here had and still have me drooling over them.

I wonder if this site is an indication that new 72kW urban superchargers are on the way out. This high power site will surely be dominated by local users. And to think there was a time not too many years ago when Elon said Superchargers were not going to be provided for commuters.

The packing list shows 4 V3 cabinets, 16 V2/V3 posts and what could potentially be urban supercharger posts, although there is no mention of V2 cabinets to power them.

The packing list is folded, so the V2 cabinets may be mentioned at the bottom half of it. Another possibility is a new type of cabinets based on V3 technology for urban chargers that will be more cost effective than V2 cabinets.

I wonder if this site is an indication that new 72kW urban superchargers are on the way out. This high power site will surely be dominated by local users. And to think there was a time not too many years ago when Elon said Superchargers were not going to be provided for commuters.

I think this site will be a mix of V3 and urban stalls, which makes sense in this location. If you come to shop at Target, V3 might be too fast.

The packing list is folded, so the V2 cabinets may be mentioned at the bottom half of it. Another possibility is a new type of cabinets based on V3 technology for urban chargers that will be more cost effective than V2 cabinets.

I think this site will be a mix of V3 and urban stalls, which makes sense in this location. If you come to shop at Target, V3 might be too fast.

The packing list is shown in full at the top of that image in tiny black and white text.

SFGeary2 cropped.jpg