Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Francisco, CA - Letterman Drive (LIVE 22 May 2019, 6 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good thing they have the "Please begin queuing here" sign up.... there will be some big lines on weekends until they open more SC's in SF.

FYI. That queuing sign was placed way off to the side, in a corner. There's literally no place to queue. If it ever got super crowded (which I don't think it will because people need to pay to get in there and there's only 6 chargers anyways,) you would be blocking the entrance to the garage. Look at my 2nd post, photo #3. Any long line would block the entrance into the garage..and i'm sure that will be a problem for the facility.

Or you can just do a touch and go and be gone before they charge for parking.

For some reason the rate to charge there is NOT listed on the Nav Display in the car. I charged for 4 miles and it showed $1.24 for this session. So I sat there wondering what it would say at 8 miles (2 kWh's) and it didn't change. Then I got to 12 miles and I was starting to worry that I might have to pay for parking and it STILL hadn't ticked over, so I got out of there with 12 miles for $1.24 and no parking fee

I created the location in PlugShare. I know they usually wait for Tesla to give the OK to add but I wanted to do a check-in. WIll be interesting to see if my location ends up being merged with the official Tesla Supercharger location in Plugshare

-Randy
How long is a touch n go?

FYI. That queuing sign was placed way off to the side, in a corner. There's literally no place to queue. If it ever got super crowded (which I don't think it will because people need to pay to get in there and there's only 6 chargers anyways,) you would be blocking the entrance to the garage. Look at my 2nd post, photo #3. Any long line would block the entrance into the garage..and i'm sure that will be a problem for the facility.
But what about those who have to wait in line? Do even they have to pay for waiting? IMO, Tesla should have thought this through a bit more, and definitely should’ve thought of more chargers.

that SC location isn't helpful for most since it's located in a paid parking structure. (At enormously expensive rates at that)
Those who have a problem with a supercharger in a paid lot are already provided for by Daly City (and possibly South SF in the future). Don't expect any supercharger in SF to be in a free parking lot. That's just the normal reality of the space requirements in denser urban areas.

EF35B6DC-EADA-435D-A93B-01540ABEFB52.jpeg
Machine charged the $5 flat rate for after 6 pm. Exit gate was up so it wasn’t entirely necessary. Doesn’t definitively answer the grace period question.

SF real estate so expensive Tesla can only buy 6 paid parking spaces lol. Better than nothing! Still dreaming of a 40 stall urban charger location in Mission like what they have in Daly City.

Yes, the Daly City SC stalls at the suburban mall location are the only savior for Mission District apartment dwellers
with no apt. garage electricity, not even a grounded 3-prong 110V plug. Sincerely hope that when the Mission finally gets
Tesla DC charging, it's more than 72kw per stall.

Last edited:
Those who have a problem with a supercharger in a paid lot are already provided for by Daly City (and possibly South SF in the future). Don't expect any supercharger in SF to be in a free parking lot. That's just the normal reality of the space requirements in denser urban areas.
"Free" parking lots for EV charging exist in SF (Whole Foods), but they are only Level 2. Nearby (in the Presidio) Chrissy Field also supports fee-free L2 via Volta, but it's true that someone must pay. It's just that if a certain $/kWhr rate (including parking fees) exceed costs for ICE cars, they
won't be used much by EV drivers.

"Free" parking lots for EV charging exist in SF (Whole Foods), but they are only Level 2. Nearby (in the Presidio) Chrissy Field also supports fee-free L2 via Volta, but it's true that someone must pay. It's just that if a certain $/kWhr rate (including parking fees) exceed costs for ICE cars, they
won't be used much by EV drivers.
Weekends and evenings (before 1AM) rates are $5 flat fee. Not many are in any danger of paying more to charge than fill up with gas.

How long is a touch n go?
I usually only put in a couple of kWh's. Just enough to be sure it shows up in my account. How long depends on the charger and my battery. I was charging at about 35kW's when I was there yesterday so it was taking some time, which is why I got nervous. I got out for free but cannot tell how long the grace period was as my card didn't work, so I pressed the service button and they opened the gate.

I discovered why I thought it charged me $1.24, I don't believe the electricity is pay-for at this Supercharger, just the parking. Although I put 3 kWh's in my car and I have an original gen Model 3 so I pay for ALL Supercharging, there is still nothing showing about the visit in my account, and the last charge is one in Alameda for $1.24. That's why it showed so much when I had only put in a single kWh and why it didn't change as I put in more.

So for a flat rate $5 you can put in 75kWh's? Or 2/3rds of a dime per kWh and free parking. What are others seeing?

Oddly the Volta chargers that are down there are not listed in the Volta app. I added them to the new location I called SF Supercharger but in the other Presidio garage in Plugshare the Volta chargers are shown as restricted to Lucas Employees and their guests only. I thought Volta was for everyone, but I guess not if it's not in the app.

Lastly, can the next person who goes there get a pic of the Yoda fountain while you are charging? I cannot believe I was that close and I didn't get out of the car to do that.

Photo in post #33 above shows 6. On the Tesla website the Find Us page lists 6.

PlugShare is wrong. Or maybe there are also 6 non-Tesla L2 chargers at that location?

There are exactly 6 Urban Supercharger stalls here. There are also some number of Tesla wall connectors (I saw either 2 or 4 of these adjacent to handicapped parking spaces). Finally there are at least 2 Volta L2 charging locations. These are just what I could see walking or driving between the entrance/exit ramp and the Superchargers. There could be other chargers in other parts of the garage, which I did not explore.

Bruce.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and MarcoRP