Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Gabriel, CA - Valley Blvd. (LIVE, 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Add to that: the megapack could theoretically be connected to the DC bus of the supercharger cabinets, allowing the station to deliver closer to 250kW maximum rates to each stall, even when the station is full. Not sure if Tesla is doing this yet, though...
That to me makes a lot of sense not only does it help with the theoretical output of the charging cabinets but Tesla would also gain in efficiency because they would not have to convert the DC power to AC just to go to the main switchgear and then be converted again from AC to DC to power the vehicles.

Now I do think from a AHJ perspective it would be more difficult to connect them directly to the DC bus and something I just thought about while typing this is the inverters need to be UL certified for generation which the MegaPack has one that is certified to be connected to the grid. If they were to be connected to the DC bus then all the Charging cabinet inverters would need to serve that purposes incase the battery discharges without any cars connect and the power goes back to the Utility.

So much more complicated but there are some positives to be gained from connecting it this way.

That to me makes a lot of sense not only does it help with the theoretical output of the charging cabinets but Tesla would also gain in efficiency because they would not have to convert the DC power to AC just to go to the main switchgear and then be converted again from AC to DC to power the vehicles.

Now I do think from a AHJ perspective it would be more difficult to connect them directly to the DC bus and something I just thought about while typing this is the inverters need to be UL certified for generation which the MegaPack has one that is certified to be connected to the grid. If they were to be connected to the DC bus then all the Charging cabinet inverters would need to serve that purposes incase the battery discharges without any cars connect and the power goes back to the Utility.

So much more complicated but there are some positives to be gained from connecting it this way.
Sounds like you're over thinking this. The current path inside the Megapack to the grid through the integrated inverter is probably completely separate from the DC current path to a Supercharger DC bus. If the Supercharger DC bus isn't demanding much power, then the battery won't discharge. Batteries discharging in a system like this without a command for somewhere for the energy to go is not really a thing that happens.

Anyway, like the previous poster said, we don't know whether Tesla is actually using Megapacks to interface directly to the Supercharger DC bus yet. The primary motivation is reducing demand charges and that can be done with just the Megapack integrated inverter.

Reactions: abasile
So when the stations are full the kw automatically drop? Does that happen at every station? even V3?
Yes, V3 cabinets can only take 350kVA from the grid. If the cabinet serves 4 stalls, that's only 87.5kVA per stall. AC to DC efficiency drops that to about 79kW DC per stall when full. The major benefit of V3 is that it can aggregate the power from up to 7 cabinets (28 stalls). Therefore it doesn't matter where you park. You should get the same output from any stall, assuming nothing is broken.

Megapacks share the common ~1000VDC bus that the AC/DC converters in V3 Superchargers generate. Each V3 Supercharger cabinet can draw up to 575 kW from the 1000VDC bus and also pull about 350 kVa from the grid - so in theory, a V3 Supercharger could run 4 posts at 250 kW each.

Each post gets a number of DC-DC converters that bring down the 1000 VDC to the ~400VDC that the cars batteries run at.

Yes, V3 cabinets can only take 350kVA from the grid. If the cabinet serves 4 stalls, that's only 87.5kVA per stall. AC to DC efficiency drops that to about 79kW DC per stall when full. The major benefit of V3 is that it can aggregate the power from up to 7 cabinets (28 stalls). Therefore it doesn't matter where you park. You should get the same output from any stall, assuming nothing is broken.

Can a megapack solve this problem? And is that why they are planning on installing megapacks at these locations?

Megapacks share the common ~1000VDC bus that the AC/DC converters in V3 Superchargers generate. Each V3 Supercharger cabinet can draw up to 575 kW from the 1000VDC bus and also pull about 350 kVa from the grid - so in theory, a V3 Supercharger could run 4 posts at 250 kW each.

Each post gets a number of DC-DC converters that bring down the 1000 VDC to the ~400VDC that the cars batteries run at.
Let's say at this moment without the megapack there are 8 V3 chargers, 6 people are already charging, I arrive as the 7th person and charge will I get 250kw?

Sounds like you're over thinking this. The current path inside the Megapack to the grid through the integrated inverter is probably completely separate from the DC current path to a Supercharger DC bus. If the Supercharger DC bus isn't demanding much power, then the battery won't discharge. Batteries discharging in a system like this without a command for somewhere for the energy to go is not really a thing that happens.

Anyway, like the previous poster said, we don't know whether Tesla is actually using Megapacks to interface directly to the Supercharger DC bus yet. The primary motivation is reducing demand charges and that can be done with just the Megapack integrated inverter.
While I understand your point my point is still valid in that Utilities have more strict rules on inverters that have the possibility of generating power than just receiving it which if connected directly to the DC bus all the EV cabinet inverters become. I do think it is possible just more red tape for Tesla to cut through we will see if and when it occurs.

• Funny
Reactions: BigDaddyKevin
well how much power should they be drawing for you to get 250kw?
350kVA * 2 cabinets * 90% = 630kW
630kW - 250kW = 380kW
380kW / 6 stalls = 63.3kW / stall

The 6 occupied stalls have to be drawing < 380kW total or 63.3kW average per stall in order for there to be 250kW left over for you.
This assumes no Megapack adding DC power to the two V3 cabinets powering the 8 stall site.

Anybody know what’s going on here? It’s been temporarily shut down for the last couple days.
FA2D05F9-7601-4B04-80D2-49AD0580C4A2.jpeg