Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Jose, CA - Santana Row (26 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw this sign on the ground floor near the Tesla test drive car area, not yet being used, but yes, looks like there'll be "valet supercharging". I assume they will rotate the cars through the ground floor chargers, but I wonder how they will allocate time - i.e. will they charge up to 80% or 90% or depends on how busy...

Seems weird if that's the only reason - don't they have all those HPWCs as well for those who will be there for a long time?

Seems weird if that's the only reason - don't they have all those HPWCs as well for those who will be there for a long time?

I suspect the valets will ask drop-off owners how long they will be "shopping"; put those who are around just for a meal/workout up to 1-2 hours on the valet superchargers, those who are around all day (or all night if the valet also serves the hotel) go on the valet HPWC's. And they wouldn't have to rotate cars certainly until things start to fill up - which would only be weekends or evenings. But if the valet superchargers also incur idle fees, by necessity they'd have to at least unplug, if not move; plus many owners probably NOT want their batteries charged all the way to 100% anyway.

I wonder also if the valet, or the Tesla store itself, might also have occasional designs on the lone supercharger on the 4th floor by the elevator/stairs; the other spots seem to far to waste valet time running back and forth, but the lone one had a orange cone nearby that wasn't in use, yet looked like it could be there to block the spot.

P.S. Only one 4th floor spot was ICE'd on Saturday, though it was still early into the evening; the 4th floor was already pretty full overall but ICE drivers seemed respectful to pass and go by. However, a Model 3 also just pulled into a supercharger headfirst, it was clear they were dressed for dinner and were not going to plug in at all.

Currently the app shows 28 stalls, but I'm not sure if that includes the 1st floor or not. I don't think there are 28 urban total on the 4th floor, but I didn't circle the whole floor so maybe there are more on the other side. There were about 16 HPWC on the 4th floor and maybe 10 or so on the 1st floor outside the structure. Probably another 12 urban chargers as well on the 1st floor. When I left maybe 5 spots were ICE'd as the garage was getting full. Will be interesting to see how lines will form when the chargers get full, imagine it will be chaos as other folks are trying to find spots.
It’s now down to 26 stalls on the app.
004AF795-EBC3-4213-B3C2-6495C0C7216E.png

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
Well it's good to see that my theory that Santana Row could be the Santa Clara Supercharger (since it is right on the Santa Clara/San Jose border) was wrong.

So 26 stalls with an additional 10 that are controlled by valet when they come online.

Well it's good to see that my theory that Santana Row could be the Santa Clara Supercharger (since it is right on the Santa Clara/San Jose border) was wrong
If you are basing your conclusion that another Supercharger location somewhere in Santa Clara is coming in 2019 on the fact that there is still a grey pin shown in the center of the city of Santa Clara, it is possible that the Tesla Supercharger team simply hasn’t removed that pin yet and that it did represent the Santana Row Supercharger location.

But I think that is unlikely, and I tend to agree with you that a new Supercharger location somewhere in Santa Clara is planned for 2019.

Reactions: HandleX
Yup, very odd setup.

On 4:
15 destination chargers, some of which had 60min parking signs, but not all.
26 superchargers; 23 of them in a row, 2 more 'around the corner', and 1 last one on the other side of the elevator shaft.

On the ground floor, there are 2 more superchargers; 1 is in a handicapped spot. The other one is also in a handicapped spot BUT has an EV charging non-handicapped space right next to it. Prime parking for sure; first floor, nobody next to you other than possibly a handicapped vehicle, wall on the other side.

Then in the valet area, 8 more superchargers, 10 more destination chargers.

And the app says 3/26 available but only a couple were in use.

Attachments

• IMG_0292.PNG
    IMG_0292.PNG
    478.3 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0301.jpeg
    IMG_0301.jpeg
    699.9 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0300.jpeg
    IMG_0300.jpeg
    462.9 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0299.jpeg
    IMG_0299.jpeg
    452.6 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0298.jpeg
    IMG_0298.jpeg
    355.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0296.jpeg
    IMG_0296.jpeg
    361 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0295.jpeg
    IMG_0295.jpeg
    479.7 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0293.jpeg
    IMG_0293.jpeg
    408.4 KB · Views: 155
I found out why the app says only a couple are available -- most of them are switched off, or something. My app said 2/26 available when I took the car up to test it out, but neither one of the two I tried worked. I wasn't gonna spend 20 minutes trying every parking spot to find the available unit :)

Plugged into a destination charger for the afternoon, lots of those available. Only 32a, but better than nothing!

• Informative
Showing reduced service today in the map; OTOH, the valet superchargers are now showing up as a separate site, with 10 spots. Must be including the two handicapped ones on the ground floor in that count.

EDIT: Oh, I see now that Reid already posted yesterday with app also showing the separate valet site.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and mociaf9
I'm seeing 10/10 available at Valet and 21/26 available in the normal supercharger location at SR (using the app). I think this means they must all be open now -- since on Friday you'd only see 1-3 of 26 available when very few stalls were occupied, but most didn't actually work :)

• Informative
Thought I'd just put this out there for those who were curious: it is $8 (not including any tips) to valet your car at Santana Row, according to their website. $24 if you are overnight parking when staying at the Valencia hotel onsite. Curious if supercharging is included "free", or whether Tesla still charges you separately on top of that.

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP
Thought I'd just put this out there for those who were curious: it is $8 (not including any tips) to valet your car at Santana Row, according to their website. $24 if you are overnight parking when staying at the Valencia hotel onsite. Curious if supercharging is included "free", or whether Tesla still charges you separately on top of that.
I'm sure it would depend on whether or not you have FREE supercharging. Just like anywhere else.

Are the valet Superchargers accessible when the mall or whatever is closed?

I'm going to assume not, since that would be the point of the separate valet location, but I'll wait for a local to confirm! I've marked it as "Limited hours" on the supercharge.info map. (It could be the reason Tesla has chosen to list the two parts separately. On a technical level they're the same - 1A through 5B are valet, and 6A through 18B are the public ones.)

• Informative