Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Jose (South) (permit expired, 10 Superchargers at 5630 Cottle Rd)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
Found the permit issued on 12/6 for the installation of 14 Supercharging Stations and 2 Level2 ChargePoint posts, 4 Future charging posts on existing parking lot for a total of 22 Parking spaces dedicated for EVCS. Applicant is TARGET, so should be down at that end of the shopping center near Cottle Road and Great Oaks Parkway (near Monterey Road, Blossom Hill Road and Hwy 101). Hwy 85 is a short distance down Cottle so the site is accessible from that highway also.

Building, Electrical Permit # 2018-145530-CI, Project Location: 5630 Cottle Road

Cottle Superchargers - 1.jpg

Cottle Superchargers - 2.jpg

Plans are only available to be viewed down at City Hall, but at least we know where Tesla's South San Jose Supercharger location is now.

Cottle Superchargers - 1 (1).jpg

Since the plans aren't available online not sure of the exact location of the chargers in the parking lot area but here's a map of the area with Target marked. This is a very busy shopping center and the Target parking lot is also very busy so wondering where they will put the EV charging stations.

Cottle Superchargers - 1 (2).jpg

Among the food and amenities there: Target/CVS, Yogurtland, Applebees, Starbucks, Five Guys. Further down the shopping center: Panera, Panda Express, Poki Bowl, The Don's Deli, TZone with Safeway at the far end. There is banking there also. Across Cottle from Target is Bill's Cafe (a favorite of mine, always busy) and Castillo's Mexican and Pizza Hut. There is parking for Target on the far right side of the building at Charlotte Drive that's separated from the rest of the lot although those locations are not adjacent to any food places. I'm leaning towards the charging location being between Target and Yogurtland next to Cottle.

I live near and shop at this Target regularly. There are two reserved parking areas for low/no emission vehicles right in front of Target. Stupid place for it. You can almost never park your EV there for the trucks, SUVs and other non low emission vehicles. BUT, if you continue down along the Target building towards Raleigh Ave. there is a reserved BEV parking area that is around the corner of the Target building. No one ever parks there so that of course is where I park.

I went there a week ago or so and the area was filled with shipping containers. Note not construction containers but short term storage containers for shipping.

That would be my guess for the chargers.

Nice find! Thanks for starting the thread. I revised the thread title a bit to use the Supercharger name that Tesla shows on their website Find Us page. Of course that name could change when this location becomes operational.
Found the permit issued on 12/6 for the installation of 14 Supercharging Stations and 2 Level2 ChargePoint posts, 4 Future charging posts on existing parking lot for a total of 22 Parking spaces dedicated for EVCS. Applicant is TARGET, so should be down at that end of the shopping center near Cottle Road and Great Oaks Parkway (near Monterey Road, Blossom Hill Road and Hwy 101). Hwy 85 is a short distance down Cottle so the site is accessible from that highway also.

Reactions: SMAlset
I live near and shop at this Target regularly. There are two reserved parking areas for low/no emission vehicles right in front of Target. Stupid place for it. You can almost never park your EV there for the trucks, SUVs and other non low emission vehicles. BUT, if you continue down along the Target building towards Raleigh Ave. there is a reserved BEV parking area that is around the corner of the Target building. No one ever parks there so that of course is where I park.

I went there a week ago or so and the area was filled with shipping containers. Note not construction containers but short term storage containers for shipping.

That would be my guess for the chargers.

I took a picture of that area last week speculating it could be a future Supercharger location.

I forgot to add, I was there yesterday and bags of Christmas candy is $1.07!

IMG_20181223_131639993_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: HandleX

Building, Electrical Permit # 2018-145530-CI, Project Location: 5630 Cottle Road

View attachment 363828
View attachment 363827

Plans are only available to be viewed down at City Hall, but at least we know where Tesla's South San Jose Supercharger location is now.

View attachment 363830

Since the plans aren't available online not sure of the exact location of the chargers in the parking lot area but here's a map of the area with Target marked. This is a very busy shopping center and the Target parking lot is also very busy so wondering where they will put the EV charging stations.

View attachment 363831

Among the food and amenities there: Target/CVS, Yogurtland, Applebees, Starbucks, Five Guys. Further down the shopping center: Panera, Panda Express, Poki Bowl, The Don's Deli, TZone with Safeway at the far end. There is banking there also. Across Cottle from Target is Bill's Cafe (a favorite of mine, always busy) and Castillo's Mexican and Pizza Hut. There is parking for Target on the far right side of the building at Charlotte Drive that's separated from the rest of the lot although those locations are not adjacent to any food places. I'm leaning towards the charging location being between Target and Yogurtland next to Cottle.
Great find. I live 1/4 mile from the location. Can't wait for this location to open. Very close to both 101 and 85.

Reactions: SMAlset
Drove around the parking lot while the wife went inside. No construction in sight or spray painted lines in the lot. There is plenty of room for superchargers on the east side of the parking lot by Target and that part of the lot looked dead.

There are more storage containers since the picture that @Russell took. Maybe a good sign??

Haven't seen any update on here about this location so decided to see what additional info I could find on the San Jose permit search site ( City of San José Online Permits ). @Russell was correct on the location -- on the side of Target building facing Charlotte Dr down from the loading docks.

Here's an arial view of the parking lot there.

CottleSC_arialview - 1 (1).jpg

And the plans have been listed. Permit Reference No. AD18-957. I went to Documents under Project Summary and at the very bottom of the list were two Development review items, documents and plans. The site uses a viewer to look over them and unfortunately you can't link to it so having to tell you the route to see them. Here's a portion of the layout with the ChargePoint EVSEs indicated and the Telsa urban chargers by number indicated (clickable for zoomed in view).

As will note from the Permit Adjustment, 14 urban chargers are planned with an additional 4 mapped out for future expansion (8a&b, 9a&b)!

CottleSC_arialview - 1 (2).jpg

I haven't noticed any other updates but might not be navigating to the right area or there just hasn't been any movement on it yet. At least our question on where exactly they will be has been answered.

Last edited:
Stopped to eat and shop in this shopping center on Cottle today and drove by where the Superchargers are planned. Absolutely nothing has happened yet. Don't have time to check out the permit area to see where they are, maybe some changes were required in the plans, but thought I'd let people know we're still waiting for ground to be broken.

• Informative
Reactions: Cheburashka
I was in the area the other day and drove by to see if there had been any work started. None. Apparently from the SJ permit info, on 5/21/19, there was a revision made. Instead of 14 Supercharger stalls, it was changed to 10 Superchargers and 4 ChargePoint stalls. The Status I noticed is now listed as Expired. Wonder what the thinking is on this now by Tesla — postponed, shelfed? o_O Wonder if Morgan Hill was chosen instead as a better location site at the moment to accommodate drivers living or traveling further south. The SCs at Cherry Lane and Blossom Hill locations off 85 aren’t that much further north/west from this Target on Cottle.

F3DEE199-7E75-4949-ADB1-C394F36C0D10.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
Do we know who is pays for the installation of the Chargepoint chargers? I thought I read somewhere it's Tesla.

I thought property owner, or store where their charger is located pays. The one next to my local Safeway store was paid for by Safeway, and they set the price. It is cheap the 1st hour and real expensive after that to "encourage" you to do your shopping and leave, so another customer can use the charger while they shop.

So if the permit is now expired, can it be resurrected with that same number or if they still plan on building this out (this area could use it and it's a good location by 101 and 85 and lots of shopping and housing in that area and more going up) would they take out another permit that we should be looking for?

So if the permit is now expired, can it be resurrected with that same number or if they still plan on building this out (this area could use it and it's a good location by 101 and 85 and lots of shopping and housing in that area and more going up) would they take out another permit that we should be looking for?
Usually you just pay a fee/fine and the permit is re-established (same number). However if the building codes have changed in any way relevant to the project, you'll be required to meet the more recent codes. So it could potentially mean changes and new reviews.

I took a picture of that area last week speculating it could be a future Supercharger location.

I forgot to add, I was there yesterday and bags of Christmas candy is $1.07!

View attachment 364980
The few that I've seen at Target locations (including Morgan Hill) is that the charge stations are kinda far away. Which makes sense, so that we don't get ICE'd out. If they put a SC at Target on Capital and Silver Creek that would be Epic...although I would not allow my wife to SC for fear of racking up a huge target bill.

• Funny
Reactions: Troy916 and mociaf9