Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Jose (South) (permit expired, 10 Superchargers at 5630 Cottle Rd)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t think it should be removed, the title is descriptive enough if you are looking for active sites. There’s a lot of info on here I’d hate to see lost.

I suspect Tesla has spent a fair amount of money on the contract work with Target, surveying, plans, revisions of plans with the City, and they even anticipated additional stalls—all leading me to believe they have just backburned this for a time. Lots of other areas in need of Supercharging even here in California in larger immediate need. Could be waiting for Target’s plans for their store or even for more housing development in that area to go up. I just don’t think it’s a dead project for them. There are still alot of people living south of Almaden area and north of Morgan Hill. Thinking the Evergreen area up slope that would be traveling in that direction. I also think Tesla wants to provide fast charging to owners in the area who live in apartments or condos with the ability of home charging. There are already a number of large complexes in that general area plus great shopping from groceries, dining, Lowes, Costco. The hospital is down the street at 85.

Reactions: GenSao and bmah
I see the Gilroy Target location that was previously surveyed last year is now under construction. This Cottle Rd/South San Jose store was on a Target/Tesla understanding back in December for getting Superchargers so I expect to see some action on this location too in the near future. I checked SJ’s permits for 5630 Cottle Rd and no new action yet. The 2018 permit hasn’t been resurrected at least not yet. With so many plans already filed under it, I would think they would have it reactivated and extended if possible.

Maybe this one is not dead yet. Tesla just updated their page and it's showing Q4 of 2021 for a charger in this location.

tesla_san_jose.png

Maybe this one is not dead yet. Tesla just updated their page and it's showing Q4 of 2021 for a charger in this location.

View attachment 624527

Nice. Yep that marker is close to the Target on Cottle so think you're right. 4th quarter though but maybe sooner.

Just checked the SJ permits and nothing new has been filed or updated for the Target address. Suspect Tesla will ask for an extension on the 10/2018 permit since the plans were already prepared and gone through revision. Something to keep an eye on.

Last edited:
Looking at the Tesla map snapshot Shotgunsi posted, this looks like something other than the Target location originally planned. This location used to be a Chevron gas station that was razed years ago. I'm liking a supercharger on the corner in that location! I'm going to have to pass by to see if there aren't any signs or development notices at that location!

Looking at the Tesla map snapshot Shotgunsi posted, this looks like something other than the Target location originally planned. This location used to be a Chevron gas station that was razed years ago. I'm liking a supercharger on the corner in that location! I'm going to have to pass by to see if there aren't any signs or development notices at that location!

In case you were not aware, the pins on Tesla's "Find Us" map are only approximate for Superchargers that are planned or under construction. The pins only show exact locations for operational Superchargers.

Bruce.

Question for @corywright @Big Earl @homero89 :

supercharge.info lists this site as "Permanently Closed" with a black pin, which doesn't quite seem right because it was never opened. Wonder if it can just be removed altogether from supercharge.info, if there's a general consensus that it's been cancelled / abandoned? Or is there a different pin for that status?

(I'll keep the thread here on TMC in either case.)

Bruce.

Question for @corywright @Big Earl @homero89 :

supercharge.info lists this site as "Permanently Closed" with a black pin, which doesn't quite seem right because it was never opened. Wonder if it can just be removed altogether from supercharge.info, if there's a general consensus that it's been cancelled / abandoned? Or is there a different pin for that status?
Thanks for bringing this to our attention, @bmah.

You are correct, it should have been deleted instead of marked as Permanently Closed, and I've removed it now.