Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Juan Capistrano, CA (7 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a non-Tesla owner on the opposite side of the country, I am glad to see this charger. I can tell you guys really needed it.

What he said. I haven't been keeping up with SC installs for a couple months, since the cross-country path was completed, but in the last few days I've been checking here since the SC network is finally reaching Georgia (Macon imminent, Tifton under construction, Atlanta permit imminent). This evening I thought "gee I wonder how that poor SJC site is doing, is it STILL stuck waiting for the easement/access problem to be resolved?" And turns out it came online yesterday. Congratulations guys!

Ibxspeedracer, I really like your wheels, are they 20s or 21s?

Thanks. They are 22's! 285/30/22 and 245/30/22 DWS tires, rear and front respectively. Note the sidewall on rears are the same as 245/35/21 OEM and fronts are only 0.45" less than the same OEM 245/35/21...and the rims/tires are about 5-6% heavier than before but so little difference that it doesn't seem to have made any difference in acceleration or the "mileage"! I drive on the lowest suspension level and no rubbing or anything. All in all, I took a calculated venture on them and turned out great.

I was there yesterday night. Lots of stores and business around there. Looks like it can be a busy place during the day. I hope this won't cause problems with ICEing. Getting there from the I5 exit is a mess with the construction going on. It was fine at night, but during the day I think taking one exit south is definitely a good idea as many have suggested.

I predict this charger to become very busy.

Stopped and tested it this morning around 10:30. No one else there and no ICEing.
image.jpg

Today's Friday. Big travel day. I am curious to see how busy this SC gets. More interestingly, I would like to see if the backlog at Hawthorne eases up. If anyone plans on visiting Hawthorne soon, post your findings.

I am considering dropping by this location tomorrow, Saturday afternoon. Only 40+ miles out of my way. I will be sure to use Camino Capistrano Exit. Will there be a whole bunch of others ? All 7 stalls full + wait queue?

I would like to watch the charging rate while sharing a charge stall pair with another Model S. I am interested in determining as accurately as possible at what states of charge, as measured by rated miles, that the controller switches from 12 charger units to 9, and from 9 to 6. The charger units are switched between cars in groups of 3, one for each phase. I believe these thresholds are at approximately 80-100 and 180-200 rated miles respectively. I plan to arrive with less than 80 miles SOC on my S85.

I stopped by there yesterday around 11:30 a.m. There was only one other MS and no ICE'ing. Wish there was a quick coffee place there. I think there is something within a couple of blocks and it is close to El Adobe but I only saw a Mexican bakery inn the plaza itself. Charging was very fast. This should help me on the way back from my frequent trips to San Diego. I had to stop at the Mission Viejo store location a few months back because I would not have made it home.

I stopped by there yesterday around 11:30 a.m. There was only one other MS and no ICE'ing. Wish there was a quick coffee place there. I think there is something within a couple of blocks and it is close to El Adobe but I only saw a Mexican bakery inn the plaza itself. Charging was very fast. This should help me on the way back from my frequent trips to San Diego. I had to stop at the Mission Viejo store location a few months back because I would not have made it home.

It looks like Starbucks is kitty-corner from Union Bank.

From the TM Co. Forum threads, sounds like this Supercharger was mobbed yesterday. One owner reported that at 5:15pm-ish all seven stalls were full, with 6 cars waiting, and three more which showed up and left. Let's hope it was the first-weekend novelty and special occasion of this long-needed site coming on line.

From the TM Co. Forum threads, sounds like this Supercharger was mobbed yesterday. One owner reported that at 5:15pm-ish all seven stalls were full, with 6 cars waiting, and three more which showed up and left. Let's hope it was the first-weekend novelty and special occasion of this long-needed site coming on line.

Fuaaaaarrrrk really?

It's gotta be the novelty. 5pm Saturday night is prime looky loo time, but not peak traveling time. People decided to go for dinner and park at the SC. We really should leave the SC alone unless you actually need to use it.

Went by twice yesterday between 3-4 pm but did not charge. 2 stalls were open both times. I think the time of day is a big factor.

It's gotta be the novelty. 5pm Saturday night is prime looky loo time, but not peak traveling time. People decided to go for dinner and park at the SC. We really should leave the SC alone unless you actually need to use it.

Or if we do use it, it would be nice if we could agree to stay by the car and vacate the spot once it starts getting really busy.

Also, 5 of the spots require you to back in.

Except for some early SCs (such as Gilroy, Tejon, Hawthorne, Folsom) and the occasional new ones, pretty much all others need you to back in. Makes for a cleaner parking lot too, in my opinion, without the SC stall monoliths in the middle of parking spots that can be multipurpose at times.

Except for some early SCs (such as Gilroy, Tejon, Hawthorne, Folsom) and the occasional new ones, pretty much all others need you to back in. Makes for a cleaner parking lot too, in my opinion, without the SC stall monoliths in the middle of parking spots that can be multipurpose at times.

I think the downside is that they're more likely to be ICE'd when you have to back in. Most people are probably less likely to pull into a spot when it requires driving between two weird pedestals they've never seen before

Wow, that is even more insane than my experience. I arrived yesterday, Saturday, about 12:45pm. Parking was really tight for all the mini-mall, so even waiting for a spot was difficult. The bank closes at 1 pm on Saturday, so one of the stalls was blocked by a bank customer ICE, parked in one of the dual-use spots, labeled like this:

IMG_0485-M.jpg

Fortunately one of the MS owners directed me around to park so my car could reach this cable from the other side, so I was able to start charging without a wait. I believe all 7 stalls were busy at that time.

IMG_0482-L.jpg

I was there about 30 minutes, rated miles went from 90 to 170. Started at 48kW, rate went up to 77 kW as other car's charge either went below 30kW or left. Teslas were arriving or leaving every couple of minutes. After the bank closed the ICE left and I moved around to the regular position for the same stall.

The bank closes at 5pm M-Th, 6pm Fri, 1pm Sat.