Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Juan Capistrano, CA (7 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just stopped by the Hawthorne SC and spent some time viewing their new and improved charging screen. Looks like SJC's usage has well surpassed Hawthorne's. Funny. Earlier in this thread someone was complaining that they still didn't have a SC near them, while we were whining about this one taking so long, or the wait at Hawthorne being too much, etc, etc. This proves that this SpC was desperately needed. (sorry for the large file size)

IMG_3295.JPG

Edit: I now see that this was just in the last 24 hours. They no longer post monthly usage.

Wow, more demand than even I had anticipated. However, I'm most interested in seeing the current availability status. How about TM delivering that as a new feature in one of the firmware updates?

Right! The technology is not only there, but it is live. If this dashboard can show real-time usage and bay availability, down to the specific bay, then why can we not see that in our vehicles? At the very least, if not in our firmware, we should be able to view it as a webpage.

Right! The technology is not only there, but it is live. If this dashboard can show real-time usage and bay availability, down to the specific bay, then why can we not see that in our vehicles? At the very least, if not in our firmware, we should be able to view it as a webpage.
I don't think it is very accurate,

I was looking at it while my car was charging at Hawthorne, and it wasn't in the right bay, nor it was the right number of cars.

May have just been a glitch, dunno.

Nothing else other than Camino Capistrano.

If you have the tech pkg, navigate to it. Only time when the Nav may be wrong is when you're travelling southbound on the 5

Am I the only one who finds both routes equally long? If you don't take the bridge, you have to suffer painfully long traffic lights, especially for the left turn to get you to the bank.

FYI, for the next two weeks (starting September 8th), the northbound off-ramp at Highway 74 (Ortega Highway), which is the usual exit you would take to get to the Sueprcharger going north, IS CLOSED. So take the exit before that off-ramp - it's usually a better route anyways for northbound.

Charged at SJC for the first time Saturday evening. Got the last spot, which was the unshared stall at the North end. You have to back over the parking curb to get close enough for the cable to reach. Fortunately, I had the presence of mind to raise the suspension, but even then, it just barely cleared. Definitely a design flaw of this station. No wonder people park on the wrong side. Too bad there's not enough room for everyone to do that.

Returned after about half an hour and there was one car waiting.

I hope Telsa is planning to build a second OC location in the near future, and that they've learned some lessons from this one.

Returned after about half an hour and there was one car waiting.

I hope Telsa is planning to build a second OC location in the near future, and that they've learned some lessons from this one.

The San Diego Supercharger and more Superchargers in the LA Basin should also help offload San Juan Capistrano, just like San Juan Capistrano helped offload Hawthorne. The more and closer options you have, the less time you need to charge, and sometimes don't need to stop.

As Superchargers become more densely located, it will really help utilization efficiency if Tesla owners can get onboard information about "loading" or "business" factor. Southern California will probably be the first area where this becomes useful; just look at the 2014 map.

SoCal 2014.jpg

The San Diego Supercharger and more Superchargers in the LA Basin should also help offload San Juan Capistrano, just like San Juan Capistrano helped offload Hawthorne. The more and closer options you have, the less time you need to charge, and sometimes don't need to stop.

As Superchargers become more densely located, it will really help utilization efficiency if Tesla owners can get onboard information about "loading" or "business" factor. Southern California will probably be the first area where this becomes useful; just look at the 2014 map.

They still need another site between San Diego and LA. Superchargers at either endpoint aren't really useful to me. Maybe those will help offload SJC a little, but not very much, I think, especially with more and more Teslas on the road.

Coming late to the party, I know; the following comments contain nothing new, etc.

Having finally stopped for a charge at the San Juan Capistrano supercharger, I gotta say, yikes. Bad layout. Really bad design. Some spaces nearly impossible to fit one's car while leaving room for driver to open their door and get out! Plus, the location relative to freeway... not optimal. Disappointed. I'd hoped to never do Hawthorne again but compared to SJC, I'll probably be going back to Hawthorne instead.