Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Juan Capistrano, CA (7 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless and until they put at least 1 SC in North (San Diego) County *and* there are at least as many SCs in Orange County along the 405 as there are in LA County, Orange County, which has the most Tesla owners in a single county in America, will continue to foist disproportionate usage upon SJC and FV. It's a nexus of density and distance.

Once the SC(s) go into North County, distance travelers will be able to get to Oxnard or to wherever the next 405 northbound SC gets placed on the way to Sac.

I met an owner at Redondo who didn't know about the SC at FV. And he's a frequent SD to LA traveler. Remember that the routing won't show you every SC unless you manually intervene.

20-pedestal SCs in SoCal make sense, and one in Oceanside and/or Carlsbad and/or La Jolla or Del Mar would be well-received.

With Tesla's commitments to both density and distance, even SoCal is a solvable problem without hinky poo-poo schemes.

Oceanside is a little close to San Diego, but I would love that. I searched for permits just in case. No luck.
If any additional SCs are to be built in the OC (and there better be!) then 12 stalls would be the absolute minimum. Anything less is just stupid. Of course, TM may be limited by space or electricity supplies.

Oceanside is a little close to San Diego, but I would love that. I searched for permits just in case. No luck.
If any additional SCs are to be built in the OC (and there better be!) then 12 stalls would be the absolute minimum. Anything less is just stupid. Of course, TM may be limited by space or electricity supplies.

My guess is space, since Tesla doesn't like to pay for Supercharger real estate. I'm betting Union Bank is questioning their decision to lease space (presumably for free) to Tesla, given all the hassle this supercharger causes.

Maybe Tesla needs to bite the bullet and either buy or lease land at market rate for certain locations.

My guess is space, since Tesla doesn't like to pay for Supercharger real estate. I'm betting Union Bank is questioning their decision to lease space (presumably for free) to Tesla, given all the hassle this supercharger causes.

Maybe Tesla needs to bite the bullet and either buy or lease land at market rate for certain locations.
Agreed. There is cheap land to be had, just not in a desirable location for living, shopping, etc. If they build out a huge (20+) stall without any services nearby, they can do this well, and draw plenty of SC visits with little complaint. I would gladly sit in my car with nothing to do if it meant easy access. In fact, on this route, there would be such a large volume that TM could easily lease space themselves to a Starbucks or something!

@TaoJones , are you truly confident that TM is committed to both "density and distance"? After at least 76 posts from you using those exact words, I am still not sure how you really feel about that. ;)

@4SUPER9 - Let's just say that my confidence in Tesla is far greater than in those who continue to post, sometimes deliberately and sometimes out of ignorance, that SCs are only to be used for distance travel.

Especially since Tesla has committed to both density as well as to distance for over 2 years now. >=77! :)

In some ways, the density SCs are easier to plan for than are the distance SCs. In areas of density, there are multiple touchpoints - galleries, service centers, delivery centers, CPO hubs, and existing SCs. All kinds of data available there, both from which to forecast and which to analyze as SCs are deployed. Conversely, for distance SCs, one only gets peak saturation data during a relative few days per year.

One quiet positive not yet trumpeted from the rooftops is that most of those new-one-opening-every-four-days SvCs will also have public SCs on the premises. That's most of 45 more SCs in areas of density right there. How dense? Well, sure, it will vary, but there are quite a few examples of Tesla reconstituting existing auto mall properties, and large ones at that - see Palm Springs, Blue Ash, and Buena Park.

I particularly love how they did Buena Park, which is within eyesight of the 5 freeway. Adjacent is a Chevy dealership, at which, directly front and center (prime real estate), there are SUVs and such on display. Directly front and center at the Tesla service center? Customer parking and an 8-stall Supercharger. Speaks volumes, eh?

Those attendants are not Tesla employees. They are independent vallet contractors. Tesla should dump them.

Or Tesla could train them to relentlessly pursue incremental improvement by:

1. Eliminating ICEing by our own - Advise/educate every driver to return to their chariots a few minutes before their charge is complete.

2. Polling drivers as to whether local or distance travelers, and in either case to advise/educate drivers that there are alternate SCs nearby. There are in fact drivers who don't keep up with new SC openings. Met one the other day - had no idea FV had opened.

3. Advising distance drivers to charge only enough plus a buffer to get to the next SC. Charging to 100% at a density SC or worse, at an SC impacted by both density and distance, is unhelpful. There's utility in living between 20% and 80%.

4. Advising local drivers to consider charging at non-peak times - and to educate drivers with regard to when those peak times are and are not.

A checklist is probably a good tool for this effort to raise awareness. The target audiences are the clueless, and, separately, the inconsiderate. Marginal communities both, but that have a disproportionately negative impact upon the rest of us.

I think those are excellent recommendations. It seems that some Tesla owners simply have not thought about the consequences of leaving their car at a charging stall for far longer than it takes to charge to the level they need, don't understand there is rarely a need to charge to 100% or close to it, aren't aware of newly opened SCs in their area, and not aware of the impact that unnecessary local charging has on those who needs the Superchargers for long distance travel.
Or Tesla could train them to relentlessly pursue incremental improvement by:

1. Eliminating ICEing by our own - Advise/educate every driver to return to their chariots a few minutes before their charge is complete.

2. Polling drivers as to whether local or distance travelers, and in either case to advise/educate drivers that there are alternate SCs nearby. There are in fact drivers who don't keep up with new SC openings. Met one the other day - had no idea FV had opened.

3. Advising distance drivers to charge only enough plus a buffer to get to the next SC. Charging to 100% at a density SC or worse, at an SC impacted by both density and distance, is unhelpful. There's utility in living between 20% and 80%.

4. Advising local drivers to consider charging at non-peak times - and to educate drivers with regard to when those peak times are and are not.

At one time, I had suggested that Tesla post etiquette/usage signs at all Supercharging locations with some of these suggestions. However, it strikes me that it'd be easier and cheaper to have a pop-up on the 17" when you arrive at a Supercharger. "Before you plug in, note the following.."

Agreed. There is cheap land to be had, just not in a desirable location for living, shopping, etc. If they build out a huge (20+) stall without any services nearby, they can do this well, and draw plenty of SC visits with little complaint. I would gladly sit in my car with nothing to do if it meant easy access. In fact, on this route, there would be such a large volume that TM could easily lease space themselves to a Starbucks or something!

@TaoJones , are you truly confident that TM is committed to both "density and distance"? After at least 76 posts from you using those exact words, I am still not sure how you really feel about that. ;)

I'd mind sitting for 30-45 minutes even less if the SC was in the shade!

on my first trip going from los angeles to san diego i needed to supercharge somewhere along the way. decided not to charge at the san diego location because i heard it was in a terrible spot. so we went up to the SJC supercharger and were greeted with a 3 car wait. sigh...

had i known it was that backed up i would have slummed it at the san diego supercharger. live and learn!