Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Juan Capistrano, CA (7 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely busy. I showed up at around 8:30pm last night and chanced into a spot as someone was pulling out. The rest of the stalls were full. Like others have mentioned, some stalls are head in, others are tail in.

No signs that people were leaving their car for extended periods, I think just about every car that was there when I pulled in was gone by the time I was done (about 9pm). I think this is just going to be an in-demand station for those making the very common LA-to-SD weekend getaway.

I hope there is room to expand should the demand warrant . . .

They'll definitely need to increase capacity - either expand or have another station further down the 5, perhaps in Oceanside. SJC is already overflowing with a number of owners surely still unaware that it exists.
I'm not trying to start a flame war here, but I hope local owners are not using the SC. Courtesy should be that SCs are for people doing the longer drives, not people looking to avoid charging at home.

I think the novelty of getting a free charge wears off after a while. Waking up with a full tank every morning is way more compelling than waiting around at a Supercharger just because it's free.

That said, I have no problem with locals charging up as often as they want. Might as well use it. I'd guess that locals will figure out when to avoid busy times.

I think the novelty of getting a free charge wears off after a while. Waking up with a full tank every morning is way more compelling than waiting around at a Supercharger just because it's free.

That said, I have no problem with locals charging up as often as they want. Might as well use it. I'd guess that locals will figure out when to avoid busy times.

I have a 110v in my parking garage.

I've only used SJC once, when I was coming back from Vegas.

It was at 11pm and no one was there.

I'm only gonna use it for a top up late at night. Not regularly.

Has anyone been able to notice a notable decline in the usage of the Hawthorne SC following the opening of SJC? There was a theory that a lot of people would be able to bypass Hawthorne once SJC opened.

Hard to say since this SC is so new. Let's wait a month and look at the usage display at the Tesla center in Hawthorn. Fremont and and Hawthorne were always the top two having twice to three times the usage as the following in the list.

A question I'd be eager to ask at the next Tesla corporate event: "What are your thoughts on making the information regarding the number of unoccupied stalls at each supercharger available to Model S owners in real time in some way?" I'm assuming that they are at least considering this, but recognize that Tesla may have reasons not to release this information. It would be an awesome resource, however!

A question I'd be eager to ask at the next Tesla corporate event: "What are your thoughts on making the information regarding the number of unoccupied stalls at each supercharger available to Model S owners in real time in some way?" I'm assuming that they are at least considering this, but recognize that Tesla may have reasons not to release this information. It would be an awesome resource, however!

+1. A lot of us have been asking for this feature for quite some time. What would their reasons be for not publishing this info?

If they don't want the info to be public or trackable, they should just put the information on a web page that will only display the data on the in-vehicle browser. People would have to figure out how to spoof the browser ID to get the data if they don't have the car.

If they don't want the info to be public or trackable, they should just put the information on a web page that will only display the data on the in-vehicle browser. People would have to figure out how to spoof the browser ID to get the data if they don't have the car.

...which is so trivial they may as well not bother with it in the first place.
Instead, making it only available through an in-car app accessing a well-secured API endpoint would be the way to go.

What would the purpose be of letting you know? If the goal is to only have people commuting between SC's then are you going to delay your trip? What would it matter if you were 10 miles away and know the stalls are full? It seems that info would only assist locals.

I'd prefer the charger let you know when it's done (not the owner but everyone waiting). I haven't run into the issue (at least I don't know) where someone was done charging and took their time before unhooking and moving away from the charger.

While were at it...forced etiquette. You fail to move your car within five minutes after charging or you get half speed charging for your next one, though that could compound the problem and Tesla owners are a considerate bunch.

What would the purpose be of letting you know? If the goal is to only have people commuting between SC's then are you going to delay your trip? What would it matter if you were 10 miles away and know the stalls are full? It seems that info would only assist locals.

Every other service (Blink, Evgo, Chargepoint) allows you to see the current status of the chargers. It only makes sense for TM to integrate this same functionality.

Also it helps you plan ahead. Here's an example. Say I'm driving to Paso Robles via the 101. If I see that Buellton is just mobbed with no stalls available then I might choose to drive slower so that I can drive to Atascadero without having to make a stop.

Taking it one step further, it should be trivial for TM to advise owners to expect delays given the number of cars that currently have a given SpC set as their destination.

Also it helps you plan ahead. Here's an example. Say I'm driving to Paso Robles via the 101. If I see that Buellton is just mobbed with no stalls available then I might choose to drive slower so that I can drive to Atascadero without having to make a stop.

Taking it one step further, it should be trivial for TM to advise owners to expect delays given the number of cars that currently have a given SpC set as their destination.

Since people usually don't spend much time at Superchargers, knowing the stalls are full right now when I will arrive in 45 min won't help in any way as the situation will have changed in 45 min. Same the other way around. It might show some free stalls but they might be all taken in half an hour. It also doesn't say anything about how long the expected wait time is. Either way, it's still faster to wait, say 10 or 15 min for a stall to open up rather than using any other charging station. So even if it shows full I would still go there and wait a little. If you are on a road trip you very rarely have real alternatives other than Superchargers. Anything else is so much slower and results in so much more waiting that even a busy Supercharger is the better option.

I agree, maybe an estimate time of when the charger will vacate since it would be easy for Tesla to figure out how much longer someone will stay in a stall. (Usually a car is not there for more than 40 minutes.) I'm really think locals will give way to others who need it to get to where they are going. I don't think it will be a problem from that respect. If anything, we will need more chargers. Also, having a SuperCharger in San Diego proper may not relieve this location. I live in San Diego but sometimes can't get all the way into San Diego proper without stopping somewhere in Northern County. (Though, if I was going to AZ I could see how a San Diego (proper) SuperCharger would come in handy.)

Since people usually don't spend much time at Superchargers, knowing the stalls are full right now when I will arrive in 45 min won't help in any way as the situation will have changed in 45 min. Same the other way around. It might show some free stalls but they might be all taken in half an hour. It also doesn't say anything about how long the expected wait time is. Either way, it's still faster to wait, say 10 or 15 min for a stall to open up rather than using any other charging station. So even if it shows full I would still go there and wait a little. If you are on a road trip you very rarely have real alternatives other than Superchargers. Anything else is so much slower and results in so much more waiting that even a busy Supercharger is the better option.