Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Juan Capistrano, CA (7 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Note to anyone planning on charging at sjc today - access to the sc site will be severely restricted and may be impossible during the day today due to the parade for the swallows (which don't really come back anymore anyways)

Note to anyone planning on charging at sjc today - access to the sc site will be severely restricted and may be impossible during the day today due to the parade for the swallows (which don't really come back anymore anyways)

Best time to go was at 4:30 pm the day of the Swallows parade, only three other MS there initially and one there when I left. Even had time to go to Starbucks and the Tratorria without worrying about anyone waiting.

I think this Supercharger location is my least favorite. It's always very busy, people park on the opposite side and plug in from there which messes up things. It's the only location I have found to be full more than once. It's an important station traveling between San Diego and Los Angeles, but man I wish they would have picked a different spot.

I think this Supercharger location is my least favorite. It's always very busy, people park on the opposite side and plug in from there which messes up things. It's the only location I have found to be full more than once. It's an important station traveling between San Diego and Los Angeles, but man I wish they would have picked a different spot.
A lot of locals use this as their primary charge station, but luckily, the 10+ times I've used it, I've never had to wait. Just an FYI, a couple of weeks ago I made it up to Culver City from San Diego with power to spare and there's Redondo Beach and Hawthorne in between. But definitely need something along I5.

Just an FYI, a couple of weeks ago I made it up to Culver City from San Diego with power to spare and there's Redondo Beach and Hawthorne in between. But definitely need something along I5.

Thank you. I've been arguing this point for a long time, but I've felt like it's fallen on deaf ears. People think all these SpC along the 405 are so great but they fail to realize that how much traffic the 5 actually sees. Not to mention that it is often the more practical route compared to the 405. Why Tesla does not see this I have no idea.

Thank you. I've been arguing this point for a long time, but I've felt like it's fallen on deaf ears. People think all these SpC along the 405 are so great but they fail to realize that how much traffic the 5 actually sees. Not to mention that it is often the more practical route compared to the 405. Why Tesla does not see this I have no idea.
I have an idea. Maybe it's because they're still building superchargers on routes where there are none before they go back and fill in alternate routes. You can get between almost any two city pairs in California, even if it may not be using your desired routing. You can't say that for most other states. We still have only 6 superchargers open in the entire state of Texas, for example.

Fyi, there are literally a ton of chademo stations in San Diego, Orange County, and Los Angeles. I've charged twice using my adapter at 42 kW, and it works great. If you have day trips, or are driving around San Diego a lot from LA region, getting a charge from a chademo station works well.

Why does parking on the other side mess things up?

I have an idea. Maybe it's because they're still building superchargers on routes where there are none before they go back and fill in alternate routes.

That's nice but it doesn't explain 3 SpC recently built 10 miles apart ALL along the 405. I agree, they should have built new routes before focusing on filling in existing routes already covered.

Fyi, there are literally a ton of chademo stations in San Diego, Orange County, and Los Angeles. I've charged twice using my adapter at 42 kW, and it works great. If you have day trips, or are driving around San Diego a lot from LA region, getting a charge from a chademo station works well.

Do you have EVgo? I drive a LEAF and so can tell you that many of LA areas Chaedmo's are often unreliable. Either they are jacked by locals (and only one car can charge at a time), or they are out of service. Some do work reliably and I suspect EVgo, possibly Blink, are one of the few included in that category.

Why does parking on the other side mess things up?

You pull up thinking you have a spot only to realize it's taken from the other side. Happened to me a few times at night and I have seen many others do the same thing. It's really annoying. It makes it really hard to see which one is available. It's tight enough there, and some spots are pull in, some are back in, so you end up having to turn the car around in the tight space which 5 other cars try to go through there. I know why people do it. When it's full, it's easy to stay on the other side and just pull up to the one that frees up.

Do you have EVgo? I drive a LEAF and so can tell you that many of LA areas Chaedmo's are often unreliable. Either they are jacked by locals (and only one car can charge at a time), or they are out of service. Some do work reliably and I suspect EVgo, possibly Blink, are one of the few included in that category.

Yes, the two I've used in San Diego are eVgo. Plugshare shows real time in use status of the CHAdeMO stations on the eVgo network.

@6:30am Friday morning there were only 2 other cars charging, oh, one just left. So I think it's really WHEN you come here will determine how busy it is.
but when I pulled into 4A, I found this on the ground, really? I hope it wasn't a previous owner charging that left this mess, we can all do our part and throw out our own trash.

image.jpg

Navigation from the SJC going north on I-5 needs to be updated since they've redone the on ramp over the Ortega Hwy bridge. The car's navigation still thinks the northbound onramp is turning left, but the onramp is now on the right.