TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharger - San Juan Capistrano

Discussion in 'California Supercharger locations' started by airj1012, Dec 11, 2013.

Tags:
  1. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

Another supercharger is now under construction and this thread is dedicated to the periodically updates and pictures. The location is in the Union Bank parking lot at 31971 Camino Capistrano San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675.

Google Maps - http://goo.gl/RzOzRB
    Tesla Wiki Supercharger Map - http://www.teslawiki.net/supercharger/

I also borrowed a few pictures from another thread. Thanks callmesam for the pictures!

IMG_0343[1].JPG
    IMG_0341[1].JPG

Untitled.jpg

2. Crispix

Crispix Member

Fantastic! Been looking forward to this one for a long time. SJC will allow me to skip Hawthorne in a lot of situations.

3. Teriyaki88

Teriyaki88 Member

This is HUGE for us San Diegans and anyone traveling down for a quick trip. I can't wait!
    Anybody know how many units are being installed?

4. FredTMC

FredTMC Model S VIN #4925

7 stations. Construction will take five more weeks. I talked to foreman today on site

5. callmesam

callmesam Member

Great intel. I was going to guess 3 weeks, but with the holidays coming, not surprised it will take a bit longer. Hopefully the utility inspections and permitting will be seamless.

6. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

I'm surprised its still taking them 5 weeks. This link from TechCrunch has a Tesla document that shows 5 weeks being the maximum construction time and 3 weeks being the minimum. With all the superchargers that are out there now, I'm surprised they haven't made the process more efficient and cut down on the 5 week time frame. Unless the weather is also a factor. Still great news. I'm still surprised with how many are under construction right now.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/07/26/inside-teslas-supercharger-partner-program-the-costs-and-commitments-of-electrifying-road-transport/

7. callmesam

callmesam Member

Weather in Southern California is NOT a factor. If the crew is claiming 5 weeks, that might be sum total amount of time (including inspections) before the "Grand Opening". Like other SC, this one will likely be done sooner with a soft opening a week before.

8. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

Ahh, yes. I forgot what thread I was replying too. Flagstaff has had some snow and single digit days, but obviously that doesn't happen in nice ole SoCal. Jealous!

9. FredTMC

Could be some buffer in there. Or holiday season conflicts. I didn't press him on the schedule. Regardless, it won't be long now...

10. spentan

spentan Active Member

subscribing to this thread.

looking at buying a tesla while staying with my uncle in Mission Viejo. Won't have a garage/powerpoint at the house, but would love to be able to use this supercharger as a pseudo-gas station. :p

11. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams Active Member

Are you going to ship it down under? If so, just know that the Superchargers outside of USA / Canada have a significantly different plug.

12. spentan

spentan Active Member

Haha, no, Planning on moving to USA instead

13. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

Has anyone else been by this location lately for picture updates?

14. johnbr

johnbr Member

It's pretty dark right now, but here's a couple:

ubuzu7yz.jpg

utu5eraz.jpg

From what I can gather, there are 7 supercharger posts in there right now, but given the size of the fenced off area and current state of construction, it seems there could still be more going in.

15. FredTMC

I was there this afternoon. There are seven pumps. That's consistent with the permit for seven at this SC location

16. tonygod

tonygod Member

Here's a quick picture I snapped today. Didn't have time to talk to anyone, but several workers were on site.

WP_20131217_001.jpg

17. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Is this the first Supercharger location with an odd number of stalls? They usually come in pairs, 2 stalls per supercharger equipment bay. There must be something specific about this site.

18. tonygod

tonygod Member

The parking lot has a lot of businesses surrounding it and is cramped, so that could be why.

19. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Parking Space, the Final Frontier... :wink:

20. timf

timf Member

There's one in Texas that only has 5 stalls. All it means is one plug never has to share it's charger and can always deliver a full rate of charge.