Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Juan Capistrano, CA (7 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of us should call the SDGE and find out the status. I'm sure they can provide us details. (I'd do it but lately it feels like I'm working day and night.)

There's no "anti EV" crap going on with SJC govt. Per other posts on this thread, the problem is simply that an easement wasn't submitted by Union Bank for the utility to bring power to the site. Sounds as if it was a simple oversight... I'm sure the paperwork is being submitted. No idea what the lead time is before utility can begin their work...

Thanks CallMeSam

you took lots of great pics but when I was there a couple days ago there was no activity behind the main Tesla cabinets where the utility co needs to run the power from street into the tesla cabinet. Looks like the contractor has completed all his work and now we face a painful wait while the easement approval process gets completed so that the utility can be scheduled to begin their work. Zzzzzz

Tesla needs to get local consultants. The Oxnard SC is held up because they didn't verify the power source,and Capistrano is held up because they didn't do the SCE coordination in advance. That's the electrical engineering consultants job. This is what happens when the job is designed 1000 miles away.

I work for a contractor that has done some highway projects in SJC. They definitely like the small community feel down there. That said, they are not anti progress, and I highly doubt they are anti EV.

On the other hand, I can't tell you how many projects that we have had held up for months trying to coordinate with the utilities. Utility companies are almost as slow as environmental agencies. I had a project that we was doing for Edison, held up by anther division of Edison for several months because they wanted to use "union crews" instead of "union contractor crews" to do the final hook ups. Not kidding.

Of course, we have no idea if of what the delay really is, so I am just going to be cautiously optimistic. I have a trip to San Diego for a wedding planned and if the SJC supercharger is open we will take our MS, if not, we will take our ICE SUV.

Mistakes are always made, you can't run projects without making mistakes. Overall, Tesla seems to be doing a great job getting Superchargers up and operating quickly.

+1. And there have been many other SCs in California that were up and operational without too much delay. We don't know who dropped the ball on this one, or whether a consultant would have made any difference.

Mistakes are always made, you can't run projects without making mistakes. Overall, Tesla seems to be doing a great job getting Superchargers up and operating quickly.

+1! Amazing progress on all locations. We are probably only a couple weeks away from major press release similar to the EU one today.

I'll go by the SJC location within the hour and report back if anything is going on at the site...

Thanks! Can you report back if nothing is going on also? :)

went by there at noon. The regular construction team WAS there today (3 guys). I talked to foreman and asked him regarding when utility is coming to the site and easement progress. He said he wasn't sure /doesn't know when. But, he did say that emails are going around and folks ARE working on it. I thanked him for the update. He's a nice guy... Always very friendly to me

Thanks! Good to hear that they're working and on it. Likely too late for my trip on the 25th. I hope that ChargePoint comes through for me...

went by there at noon. The regular construction team WAS there today (3 guys). I talked to foreman and asked him regarding when utility is coming to the site and easement progress. He said he wasn't sure /doesn't know when. But, he did say that emails are going around and folks ARE working on it. I thanked him for the update. He's a nice guy... Always very friendly to me

You'll be able to make it from SD-Barstow without trouble. I averaged 70-75 and arrived with 40+ miles left.

hmm, I don't know if I'll be leaving with a full charge though, as I am staying with my mum in a hotel in OldTown.

There is a Blink charger down the road, which I could use to stay topped off, the general consensus has been not to rely on blink chargers though.

Google maps is saying its 170mi, I trust if I could keep the car above 200mi, then I'd probably make it?

First time roadtripping, just wanna be on the comfortable side.

hmm, I don't know if I'll be leaving with a full charge though, as I am staying with my mum in a hotel in OldTown.

There is a Blink charger down the road, which I could use to stay topped off, the general consensus has been not to rely on blink chargers though.

Google maps is saying its 170mi, I trust if I could keep the car above 200mi, then I'd probably make it?

First time roadtripping, just wanna be on the comfortable side.

It shouldn't be too hard to find a charge around San Diego. You could check with the Tesla Store at UTC about using their HPWC. You could also check with the service center, though you probably don't want to hang out there for very long. (They might be nice enough to give your a ride across town, though.) I'm happy to offer up my 14-50, too, but I'm not that close to Old Town, so that's not going to be ideal.