Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Luis Obispo, CA (LIVE 5 May 2018, expanded May 2020, 14 V2 + 4 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CF97394D-66BD-458B-8E07-F99AB4E8EB2B.jpeg
Three temporary(?)) 72 kW Urban Chargers added today. Two pedestals and one cable attached to the cabinet itself. Interestingly it only seems two cars can fit at one time, despite three total charge cables. View attachment 356706View attachment 356706View attachment 356706

Yep, @Chuq nailed it. This new type of temporary Supercharger pallet has been seen at multiple locations in California recently.

It has been speculated that the arrangement of the pedestals on the pallet is so that it can be used for both pull in and back in spaces, at least on the side with two pedestals.

It’s a busy travel season, with the holidays, and there are tens of thousands new Model 3 owners in California. These new temp chargers are a good move by Tesla.

Reactions: Ulmo
There was a field service technician at the station last night replacing charge cables as part of preventative maintenance. I talked to him about all things Superchargers, and he said that the new temporary Urban Supercharger pallet has only 2 of the 3 cables energized, they’re just built that way so they can be set up conditionally depending on the application/location.

Hovering around full this Christmas afternoon. There’s a temporary urban Supercharger pallet here (adding two stalls but seems to max out around 50 kW) and an attendant to keep people orderly. The attendant said it’s been busy 1-5.

A number of other owners were checking out the urban pallet because most of us haven’t seen one of these.

Bruce.

EDIT: Duh it’s probably the same one that’s been here since late November.

Last edited:
Reactions: SMAlset
Bruce that's kind of cool that they can add some extra chargers when they are expecting extra traffic. Haven't seen one of those pallet setups yet, although did use an urban charger for the first time at E Palo Alto last weekend. We thought about getting away for this past weekend down that way but the traffic on 101 South before Xmas is always so bad, plus am on jury duty call this week. Hope you are having a nice holiday and safe trip back.

Reactions: bmah
Hovering around full this Christmas afternoon. There’s a temporary urban Supercharger pallet here (adding two stalls but seems to max out around 50 kW) and an attendant to keep people orderly. The attendant said it’s been busy 1-5.

A number of other owners were checking out the urban pallet because most of us haven’t seen one of these.

Bruce.

EDIT: Duh it’s probably the same one that’s been here since late November.

It is indeed the same one from November. Curious to see how long it sticks around.

The attendant said it’s been busy 1-5.

I believe that they have now added a couple stalls, but this was the most crowded supercharger I saw on a 1600 mile trip last week from Arizona up California Hy 1 to Monterey and Death Valley and back to Arizona. The friendly attendant made it all run smoothly.

It was a little intimidating to drive these long remote highways with no cell coverage, and in the case of Highway 1, no Tesla Map coverage. The car seemed to think that the road was still closed. But my range anxiety is now relieved that I can see how easy it is to make a trip that long through remote desert in an EV .

One thing though, the users of the Arizona Superchargers are a much more friendly group than in California. And the Chinese tourists were fascinated by my Model 3.

One thing though, the users of the Arizona Superchargers are a much more friendly group than in California. And the Chinese tourists were fascinated by my Model 3.

Why does that not surprise me? We California supercharger users who are also likely to be California residents, are just miffed that our egos can no longer be stroked. Our Teslas have become the Camrys of California.

When I first got my car in 2016, I got a lot of attention around this area because there were only a few other Teslas. As they have become more common, other Tesla owners don't even acknowledge me anymore even when I wave. In the early days supercharging was enough of a novelty that people were kind of part of a club, but now it's just something you do to get back on the road. Probably back in the early days of ICE people used to chat at gas stations because there were a relative few people with cars, but now nobody pays any attention to anyone else unless someone is doing something dangerous like smoking.

Reactions: avesraggiana
Was going to charge. All stalls full with exception of far back temp Urban charger against the shrub area. Headed over to shopping and will try afterwards otherwise will head towards Atascadero, which has few stalls and from trip down Friday one was out.

Was here yesterday. we are up this way alot since our daughter goes to school at cal poly. First time being here where we had to wait we where third in line. We got a coffee and came back but still kept charging since we where only getting 50kw. when we walked back there where 7 cars waiting to charge.

Well that’s interesting—a you not them. This is a very traffic’d location and wonder if anyone else is having an issue. Do you remember the stall number? If so someone who reads this traveling through could check it out. I know a while back we encountered very slow rate at the Atascadero SCs and were told by some regulars there that those particular chargers were known to be slow, so not a bad idea if others can check it out for you at Madonna and save you a service visit. BTW have you had super slow charging at other locations?

Last edited: