Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Luis Obispo, CA (LIVE 5 May 2018, expanded May 2020, 14 V2 + 4 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every Thanksgiving when I drive to Santa Barbara from the Bay Area (two years in a row now) there have been significant lines at this SC. Perhaps hyperbole, but I think we would all agree it needs more charging stations. Back to the question - does anyone know what's going on with the new stations that were installed 300 years ago but not activated yet?? (hyperbole, 6 months) :)

Every Thanksgiving when I drive to Santa Barbara from the Bay Area (two years in a row now) there have been significant lines at this SC. Perhaps hyperbole, but I think we would all agree it needs more charging stations. Back to the question - does anyone know what's going on with the new stations that were installed 300 years ago but not activated yet?? (hyperbole, 6 months) :)

Give them until 1 day before the next major holiday (after the apocalypse of course). I'm sure Tesla's thinking was.. "well,we missed Christmas, we'll get it next year." In all honesty this station rarely fills up outside of the major holidays that you hear nightmares about on the news.

For about a month I used to go to my car around 1 pm to check on Atascadero and SLO (I know, get a life...) and almost every single day both stations were maxxed. This was last September / October. I am guessing if I tried this again in my copious COVID-19 spare time I would find the same. I am guessing something happened with a final inspection and it's out of their hands... or the Madonna Inn owners were horrified at the lines last year and are wondering if they want an even larger station up and running...hmmm....

I think the Madonna welcomes the crowd. The entrance and parking lot is huge (generally a free for all for their customers as very few painted lines). But the area before the main hotel/restaurant is massive and I doubt a 'Tesla' crowd will inhibit those just heading to the Madonna. (There is also a large parking area on the other side of the hotel.)

Most all the time Madonna Superchargers are pretty empty. On holiday weekends they get busy with travelers going up and down the coast between San Francisco and LA.
Most of these travelers seem to all want to stop around the same time. They start out from their homes with a full tank and travel +200 miles and then begin to all stop around lunch time. Madonna in is the perfect place for this as it is right off the freeway, has a world famous restaurant/gift shop. Even the Men's caveman bathroom is world famous. They have a nice little flower garden to wander around and kill time.
Since people find it a nice place to linger, they often stay plugged in and charge to a higher level.

Kind of the perfect storm for chargers.

Last time there, on a busy holiday, Tesla had brought in additonal portable chargers to add capacity. Still there was a line until after 2:30. Seemed like lots of families with little kids.

Going from LA to Paso Robles this weekend (Saturday morning) - I should assume there will be a line here, even at like 10-11am, right? This location is so much better than Buellton I'm tempted to risk it...
Nah with the Covid-19 sheltering its been generally quite at all the Superchargers around here. Your map a show you how busy it is as you get closer and there is the Atascadero one thats even quiter if need be.

Going from LA to Paso Robles this weekend (Saturday morning) - I should assume there will be a line here, even at like 10-11am, right? This location is so much better than Buellton I'm tempted to risk it...
No way, there are no lines at any Superchargers. People are staying home and staying alive. Yesterday was worldwide the largest new infection rate. Trump may be brazen but most citizens are not fooled, worst is yet to come. In Ventura county deaths went up 25% in the last 3 days!

Nah with the Covid-19 sheltering its been generally quite at all the Superchargers around here. Your map a show you how busy it is as you get closer and there is the Atascadero one thats even quiter if need be.

Yeah I was wondering how covid would impact things. Here in LA people are starting to get more brave and head out, I was figuring with the long weekend there would be a rush of people wanting to get out. Anyway I'll probably try this one out and report back.

Reactions: Kbra
No way, there are no lines at any Superchargers. People are staying home and staying alive. Yesterday was worldwide the largest new infection rate. Trump may be brazen but most citizens are not fooled, worst is yet to come. In Ventura county deaths went up 25% in the last 3 days!
Although this is not the place for this you are incorrect. We have had a lot more recoveries and 1 death. This has nothing to do we Trump.
A247AAB1-3F49-4324-80ED-2670FDCD6618.png