Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Luis Obispo, CA - Los Osos Valley Rd (LIVE 15 May 2021, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The confusion seems to be that there are 2 "coming soon" pins for SLO, one south and one north of the current location. The northern one (closer to downtown) is listed as Q4. The southern one (which seems to be topic of this thread) is listed as Q1.
Oh, well spotted! So Q1 and Q4 are both correctly cited. Q1 is the Los Osos Valley Road one (subject of this thread), plus there's another one apparently in downtown SLO and that's Q4.

The downtown pin is likely the city center location which means Tesla is planning to open one Q4 but might not have a specific site yet.
City center may likely be Urban Chargers. Urban Chargers in the city center would be a good idea. As the current Madonna Inn location has little for food, I have seen Tesla drivers take Uber's to downtown SLO for a meal. Slower chargers downtown, allowing just enough time for a meal that can be easily walked to would relieve the 250 kW chargers from over crowding and often left vehicles charging overtime.

I will post pictures tomorrow early afternoon if someone doesn’t beat me to it.

I would also guess that the SLO City Center location is going to be in the city center garage across from the movie theater and central mall complex. There is already a Chargepoint station there, so an Urban Supercharger would be a perfect fit for those actually visiting San Luis Obispo as opposed to passing through.

All of the upcoming Central Coast stations (SLO LVR, Grover Beach, SLO City Center) are an example of Tesla beginning to ramp up their manufacturing and planning capacity so as to avoid any issues of availability as they continue selling 500k-1m cars/year.

After the V3 Paso Robles and Pismo stations opened, the current capacity is plenty, but in another year or two it wouldn’t be, given how many people travel to and through the Central Coast.

This particular charger is likely to be one of the most popular, along with the new Pismo one given the surrounding amenities.

Reactions: Doug Martoccia
I stopped by today, and while I couldn’t get many great photos, I got a few. The construction crew were actively working and when they spotted me one of them got upset and two of them went to get another panel to completely close up the work area.

From what I could see from a quick drive-around, it seems it will be a 14-16 stall v3 station positioned directly behind (North) of the Dick’s Sporting Goods, positioning it in the back corner of the shopping center, about a 1 minute walk to Target. I’ve included a map screenshot for reference.

72135010-E927-4932-A7AB-2409D153F6EE.jpeg
A63B7ADD-556F-4CC2-8E3B-05CDB38AC000.jpeg
14C1F120-65E9-41A0-9E00-DBEA314C3F96.jpeg
B28266B3-846E-4056-91DF-9F1262DC6DDE.jpeg
D2C37B40-393A-4EEA-B147-5A4F8E78D956.jpeg
8AB67CE7-0F92-4F7C-AFEF-86F4BA660B28.jpeg

I would guess, given the speed of construction and permitting that, barring any delays by PG&E, this location should be online within the next month.

I did happen to run into a PG&E meter guy on my way out who was working on other projects and he said he hasn’t been assigned anything, but that he would guess it would be online about a month after his guys install the meters.

I had planned to talk to some of the construction guys, but they all seemed like they were instructed to keep it as hush hush as possible and ignored my attempts to strike up a conversation.

City center may likely be Urban Chargers. Urban Chargers in the city center would be a good idea. As the current Madonna Inn location has little for food, I have seen Tesla drivers take Uber's to downtown SLO for a meal. Slower chargers downtown, allowing just enough time for a meal that can be easily walked to would relieve the 250 kW chargers from over crowding and often left vehicles charging overtime.

I disagree! In addition to the Copper Cafe and Goldrush steakhouse at Madonna:

1. Sushi Kokku
2. Tahoe Joes
3. Buffalo Wild Wings
4. Chipoltle Mexican Grill
5. McDonalds
6. Panera
7. Golden Gong
8. Ihop
9. Starbucks
10. Sprouts Market
11. Ralphs
12. Crushed Grape

I disagree! In addition to the Copper Cafe and Goldrush steakhouse at Madonna:

1. Sushi Kokku
2. Tahoe Joes
3. Buffalo Wild Wings
4. Chipoltle Mexican Grill
5. McDonalds
6. Panera
7. Golden Gong
8. Ihop
9. Starbucks
10. Sprouts Market
11. Ralphs
12. Crushed Grape
Lloyd, Those are all a fairly distant and noisy walk. And hey! Guiseppe's in downtown SLO beats all those on your list put together! :))

Reactions: ElectricJazz
Unless it's closed, there's also a nasty Denny's about 2 mins from the Madonna superchargers. I'll never forget that grey overcooked burger...

Now back to this one, thanks @ElectricJazz for the photos. It's funny how the workers are sometimes delighted you're taking photos and other times act like they're building a top secret space craft back there instead of the new-tech version of a gas station. Great to see so much progress has been made already.

Edit/add: I just looked at the photos again and the one guy isn't wearing a mask. Maybe they were less worried about your seeing the work and more worried you were photographing them not following safety protocols.

Last edited:
I concur with ElectricJazz that “this location should be online within the next month.”
Checked out the site this pm. They have completely dug up most of the street and the thoroughfare to the back of the building accessing the SC. About 100 yards of road and thoroughfare are being widened and it “appears” a sidewalk is being added. Today about a dozen construction workers were doing the framing of the road/sidewalk. There also appears to be an entrance being added at the back, where the SC’s are, via a bridge. Not sure if this is in conjunction with SC build or the development of new homes behind the Dick’s and Target buildings. But have a feeling they’ll finish about the same time.

Reactions: ElectricJazz
They are all within two city blocks! I guess that is "distant" !
Lloyd, I guess it is the noisy street crossing that bugs me. By the way, thank you for the early years when you opened your EV charger for Tesla owners traveling through SLO. I never ended up needing it, but I remember the days well getting from Santa Barbara to Seattle and back when there were no Superchargers outside of 3 or 4 in So Cal. You were kind to offer up your charger.

Lloyd, I guess it is the noisy street crossing that bugs me. By the way, thank you for the early years when you opened your EV charger for Tesla owners traveling through SLO. I never ended up needing it, but I remember the days well getting from Santa Barbara to Seattle and back when there were no Superchargers outside of 3 or 4 in So Cal. You were kind to offer up your charger.

Welcome! Thanks for remembering the "early days". My office downtown provides 70 amps and is available to all TMC members.

I concur with ElectricJazz that “this location should be online within the next month.”
Checked out the site this pm. They have completely dug up most of the street and the thoroughfare to the back of the building accessing the SC. About 100 yards of road and thoroughfare are being widened and it “appears” a sidewalk is being added. Today about a dozen construction workers were doing the framing of the road/sidewalk. There also appears to be an entrance being added at the back, where the SC’s are, via a bridge. Not sure if this is in conjunction with SC build or the development of new homes behind the Dick’s and Target buildings. But have a feeling they’ll finish about the same time.

As @Opa H mentioned, they are also working on extending Froom Ranch Way to connect through to the new San Luis Ranch community development, along with street improvements and installation of Utilities.
The East (rear) entrance to the shopping center nearest the new Supercharger is preexisting but is also being repaved along with the new infrastructure additions.
I drove by again today to see the progress and get some photos of the street work, and even though I did a drive by video at speed, when I turned around 5 seconds later they’d closed the fencing. These guys are definitely under orders to keep this hush hush for now for whatever reason.
Looks like other than completing the placement of the electrical infrastructure, they haven’t done much since the last visit. Still working on hooking them up, and have some final paving to do.
I’ll visit again near the end of the week for an update.
09160FB2-425D-4CF2-8367-58532D090343.jpeg
B0B95888-FF2A-44C4-BB27-D7C6B47FCB47.jpeg
BED1F9A5-A780-47D3-B774-A93A519CA834.jpeg
644EE949-D40A-4ADA-B68D-7BCD11F3245F.jpeg

Attachments

• A07E18AB-0714-43EC-B7A6-AAB67F5F4076.jpeg
    A07E18AB-0714-43EC-B7A6-AAB67F5F4076.jpeg
    685.2 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: mociaf9
When the neighboring San Luis Ranch development is complete, it will include several miles of walking/biking trails and park space, providing great leg stretching/relaxing opportunities for both Tesla owners and their furry companions.

Added to the trails at the Madonna in serving the Madonna SC, this means that both SLO superchargers lend themselves well to a nice mid-roadtrip walk/hike.
Technically you can access the San Luis Ranch trails from the Madonna SC but given the access to the Madonna trails, I don’t see it being used by those folks.

Reactions: house9