Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Luis Obispo, CA (LIVE 5 May 2018, expanded May 2020, 14 V2 + 4 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[
D8D4A99C-65FA-4ABA-9FC3-7C60A8408104.jpeg
00F581B3-29D7-4CE9-85E0-9A94A3602578.jpeg

Thanks for checking on this site. I need to use it April 13 and 15. Do you think there is a chance?
I wouldn’t worry too much about it being ready by then. The Atascadero Supercharger is only about 15 minutes away but it is up the “grade” which is a mountain pass you would go over. Buelton is about 40 minutes South and mostly flat. If it got really dicey you could pop by my house for an hour and get 23 miles and enjoy a walk around our ranch property, we are just a short 1o minute drive South off the 101. There are also numerous hotels and wineries in the area that have Tesla HPWC to charge from at about 25 MPH. That’d get you to Buelton or Atascadero if you were that low on charge.

There are also 8 J-1772 ChargePoint chargers at the Cal Poly library, another 8 in the Grand Ave parking garage on campus, and French Hospital has 8 that are free, but you need a ChargePoint card to activate. Both are enough to get a bump charge to get you to Atascadero or Buelton if necessary.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it being ready by then. The Atascadero Supercharger is only about 15 minutes away but it is up the “grade” which is a mountain pass you would go over. Buelton is about 40 minutes South and mostly flat. If it got really dicey you could pop by my house for an hour and get 23 miles and enjoy a walk around our ranch property, we are just a short 1o minute drive South off the 101. There are also numerous hotels and wineries in the area that have Tesla HPWC to charge from at about 25 MPH. That’d get you to Buelton or Atascadero if you were that low on charge.
Thank you so much for your generous offer. I have been to Atascadero several times and found a long line waiting for a charge. We will stop in Buelton and then at a Paso Robles winery. What a great excuse for drinking wine.

Reactions: Wshowell
There are also 8 J-1772 ChargePoint chargers at the Cal Poly library, another 8 in the Grand Ave parking garage on campus, and French Hospital has 8 that are free, but you need a ChargePoint card to activate. Both are enough to get a bump charge to get you to Atascadero or Buelton if necessary.
Free? Hmm my wife used one in the main parking structure on the bottom and I had a charge on my chargepoint.

Attachments

• IMG_0154.PNG
    IMG_0154.PNG
    146.9 KB · Views: 47
Why is this thread still in this section instead of the Calif Supercharger one? I've requested by Report to have it moved maybe twice already. Must not know the magic phrase, thought it was Open Tesla.

Thanks for the update. I like stopping in Atascadero and enjoy a few food places there, but am looking forward to using this location as a food stop.

Thank you so much for your generous offer. I have been to Atascadero several times and found a long line waiting for a charge. We will stop in Buelton and then at a Paso Robles winery. What a great excuse for drinking wine.

Here are some good options if you are looking for a free charge in the city of San Luis Obispo
  • The City parking structure at 1260 Chorro St, in downtown San Luis Obispo has 4 free J1772 chargers (including one 70A Tesla charger!): the parking lot three of them are in is free for the first 60 minutes, but if you wait around until after 11:30pm or so, they open the parking gate and you can exit for free.
  • Home Depot at 1551 Froom Ranch Way has 2 free 30 amp J1772 chargers
  • Target at 11990 Los Osos Valley Rd, San Luis Obispo, CA also has 2 free 30 amp J1772 chargers
  • The SLO promenade at 319 Madonna Road has some free 30 amp J1772 chargers
  • MINDBODY (my employer) has twelve free 32 amp J1772 chargers at 675 Tank Farm Road (and they just added another eight 15 amp chargers). They are restricted to employees only from 6am to 7pm Mon-Fri, but they are open to the public outside of those hours.
Happy Charging!

Reactions: Russell
What ChargePoint says is Tahoe Rd. is actually the Cal Poly 1 Grand Ave site. Those have a fee of $0.11/kWh then start charging an additional $6/hour after the first 4 hours have passed. The French Hospital charging stations are free.

Cal Poly is really not a great charging option because not only do you have to pay to charge, you also have to buy a campus parking permit to park in the charging spots from 7am-10pm Monday-Thurday and 7am-5pm on Friday. And I can personally attest that they are very aggressive about ticketing vehicles without a permit.

More details: Electric Vehicles - Transportation & Parking Services - Cal Poly

Cal Poly is really not a great charging option because not only do you have to pay to charge, you also have to buy a campus parking permit to park in the charging spots from 7am-10pm Monday-Thurday and 7am-5pm on Friday. And I can personally attest that they are very aggressive about ticketing vehicles without a permit.

More details: Electric Vehicles - Transportation & Parking Services - Cal Poly

They were just as aggressive about ticketing when I was there in the 80s. I've heard Cal Poly has changed somewhat since I was there, but it sounds like the parking mess hasn't. It is a nice campus though. On a weekend or when school is out, you can get in a pleasant walk while the car is charging.