Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Mateo, CA - Bridgepointe Pkwy (12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
maybe the less desirable location was deliberate, to try and discourage locals from accessing the location, although I suspect more likely the opposite will occur, with more out-of-towners on road-trips avoiding this location altogether.

Or maybe this was the best spot Tesla could get. They don’t have absolute control over where to put Superchargers.

Bruce.

Reactions: nikeykid and Fiver
Errr ... a popularly-used location is a less desirable one? That sounds very counterintuitive to me. We just need more charging stations everywhere for every use for every Tesla owner. Yes, I got into the Tesla game early and I have charging options at home and at work at dirt cheap EV-A rates with solar on my roof ... but I have no interest in advocating the policy of "now that I've got mine, you can't get yours."

Electrification is for everyone.

- K

This site is very near the freeway and will be useful for through travelers. The issue of locals charging has been endlessly debated in multiple threads. Let’s try not to restart that discussion here.

Or maybe this was the best spot Tesla could get. They don’t have absolute control over where to put Superchargers.
Agreed.

It’s easy to criticize Tesla for not being able to perfectly site every Supercharger. But it is a lot harder than it may appear...

Anyone know how bad this location was ICE’d today with the Black Friday shopping?
I actually was there today, and there were enough Tesla to prevent any ICEing...
Although the L2 ChargePoint spots right across from the SCs were in constant danger.

The one bad behavior I saw was a Model X driver leaving his shopping cart in a handicap spot. And then another person adding theirs.
This left no choice to a disabled driver but to park at a massive angle. /rant

• Helpful
Reactions: newtman and Ulmo
Been there twice over the past 3+ weeks. Both times, I was the only one there, and both times, the max charge rate was 60kwh. WTF? Maybe this is why I was the only one there for 30+ minutes.

There are so many factors that can influence charging rates at superchargers, it's nearly impossible to track down a solid culprit.

Pack Temp
SoC
Failed chargers in the cabinets
Power company issues
and so on and so on. Sometimes one, sometimes many, they all add up.

Went to Bridgepoint again this morning (I'm taking care of my Mom, and there's no charging allowed in her building). Was the only one there again for a while. Highest charge was 76kwh, but quickly dropped to 60kwh after charging only 10% (from 50% to 60%). It took an hour to get from 50% to 95%. By that time, three more Teslas arrived. I used one of the two chargers next to the transformers.

Went to Bridgepoint again this morning (I'm taking care of my Mom, and there's no charging allowed in her building). Was the only one there again for a while. Highest charge was 76kwh, but quickly dropped to 60kwh after charging only 10% (from 50% to 60%). It took an hour to get from 50% to 95%. By that time, three more Teslas arrived. I used one of the two chargers next to the transformers.

Went there again yesterday with my wife's brand new X100D, and the charge experience was the same...

If this were my car (S85D) I’d say that’s to be expected. For the old 85kWh packs, a reasonable rule of thumb was that in most of the taper, your SOC (in percent) plus the kW you get from the charger should equal something around 120 (plus or minus). So if you were pulling 76kW at 50% SOC, 76+50=126, which is inline with what I’d expect to see.

Not sure what the analogous rule of thumb is for your 90kWh pack, but I don’t think it’s dramatically different. Have you gotten really different results at the same SOC at other Suoerchargers?

Bruce.

PS. Echoing @PLUS EV , if you really think something’s wrong, please call to report it.