Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Mateo, CA - Hillsdale Boulevard (LIVE 5 Jan 2021, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charged for a bit this morning to top off our Model Y. Charge rate / kW was low on the one I tried. I thought V3 chargers were supposed to be 250 kW but I was getting about 45 kW. Hopefully this is a start up issue and we will see true V3 capacity soon.

Charged for a bit this morning to top off our Model Y. Charge rate / kW was low on the one I tried. I thought V3 chargers were supposed to be 250 kW but I was getting about 45 kW. Hopefully this is a start up issue and we will see true V3 capacity soon.
There's all sorts of things that will cause you to see less than 100% charging speeds:

1. State of Charge - The Model 3/Y will only hit 250 kW from ~5-20% SOC. From there max charge rate will taper off appx linearly up to 100%. 40% SOC is around 175 kW max, 60% is around 120 kW max, 80% is around 60 kW max.
2. Temperature - Unless your battery is nice and warm (> 45C or so) you're not going to see peak speeds, either).
3. Supercharger issues - finally, if the Supercharger isn't running at 100% due to hardware issues (issues w/chargers in the cabinet, worn out cable/connector, etc) this will also limit charging speeds.

In your case, since you said you were just topping off and only got 45 kW, I'm going to guess that you plugged in around 80% SOC and your battery was cold.

Reactions: Tectonic
Someone want to post a picture of their car charging?

Bruce.
Copied from FB

Laurelwood post.jpg

There's all sorts of things that will cause you to see less than 100% charging speeds:

1. State of Charge - The Model 3/Y will only hit 250 kW from ~5-20% SOC. From there max charge rate will taper off appx linearly up to 100%. 40% SOC is around 175 kW max, 60% is around 120 kW max, 80% is around 60 kW max.
2. Temperature - Unless your battery is nice and warm (> 45C or so) you're not going to see peak speeds, either).
3. Supercharger issues - finally, if the Supercharger isn't running at 100% due to hardware issues (issues w/chargers in the cabinet, worn out cable/connector, etc) this will also limit charging speeds.

In your case, since you said you were just topping off and only got 45 kW, I'm going to guess that you plugged in around 80% SOC and your battery was cold.

Thanks Dave EV. I’ve noticed the varying values in charge rates but have never seen them broken down by SOC. Is there a published curve somewhere which plots charge rate vs SOC? Would be interesting to compare expected values vs actual.
It's been documented here many times that right when V3 chargers are first fired up (especially before they are listed on the website/shown in nav) they are run at a lower output for whatever reason. Typically once they become official the charge speed is increased to the normal output.

I think it's just them being safe during the testing period.

I agree with you. At 20-40 I did not see it exceed 80. I’ll give it another shot. Maybe it was having a bad day.
Try a different SC.. I know they are all supposed to be equal and don’t share power, but I have found that some work better than others and dont’ know why. My hunch is that they can’t do full power ALL the time, so a car coming out a few minutes prior, the unit itself might now be able to jump right back in and pull the max that the CAR is ready or able to take. could also have been a time when power was being throttled from the GRID or local transformer, unsure.