Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Mateo, CA - Park Place (LIVE, 8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kendrick, I totally agree with you!

Yay! Some like minds.

I will never charge when I have enough juice to get me home and the SC is jammed with cars, but heck, if I am hungry near a SC and there are open spots? Count me in! A great place to meet fellow enthusiasts and even help inform people interested about the car. Two really nice guys provided me piles of insight at the RCSC when I pulled up pre purchase with a small pile of questions. No one to chat with? Grab some lunch!

This convenient location will help those who visit SF from LA who previously used the Gilroy and Fremont Superchargers. In the past we have charged behind the Walt Disney Family Museum using the ChargePoint EVSE. That Presidio location requires a $7 daily parking fee plus ChargePoint costs.

Looks like:.... The utility cabinet for this location will remain downstairs. Core drills through the cinder blocks will route power to the superchargers above. The transformer will be above ground with connection coming from underground also. This is how I see it!? Please chime in if you know or see something differently. Pictures show framing upstairs for the cement pour etc. does this make sense to you master electricians? Pictures!

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

There has been huge progress, as of this beautiful sunny afternoon in San Mateo. Most noticeably, the gravitational anomaly has been fixed at this location. Previously, the supercharger stalls, pavement, and even trees, were oriented sideways. On one occasion, the adjacent building was upside down and all kind of things went to hell in front of the Whole foods. I'm really glad Tesla figured out how to install the SC right-side up. :) Enjoy:

20150607_120458.jpg
20150607_120441.jpg
20150607_120530.jpg

I predict this will be a Charlie Foxtrot of epic proportions. It will be packed with TCP (limo) cars and locals roughly 18 hours per day. I hope no one is actually hoping to use this when traveling through the area unless it's the middle of the night.

Well, at least Tesla is putting Superchargers on the SF peninsula now. Having some available sure beats having none. They can always add more...

I agree. A couple months back, my on-board charger failed and the service center couldn't schedule me in for service for a couple of days. My wife had to drive to Fremont to Supercharge. Having one near home will make it a lot easier in emergency-type situations.

I predict this will be a Charlie Foxtrot of epic proportions. It will be packed with TCP (limo) cars and locals roughly 18 hours per day. I hope no one is actually hoping to use this when traveling through the area unless it's the middle of the night.

For people wanting to travel through the area over the peninsula (Hwy 101) the distance for Petaluma to Gilroy SC is already easily doable at ~130 miles or so. The new San Mateo and Mountain View chargers are a mere 16 miles apart and provide more options and flexibility, e.g. a stop in San Francisco or perhaps a side trip to Half Moon Bay?

But that's my point. What is the purpose of having SCs in Mountain View and San Mateo? There is no legitimate "long distance travel" use for both of them (and Fremont too) since they are so close so of course it will be used by locals. Don't get me wrong, these SCs will allow apartment dwellers and renters to buy a Model S so it's perfectly valid to put them in and allow more people to buy cars. But then Elon harps about SCs only being for LD travel and says they've going to nag locals not to use them? I'm confused - Tesla is speaking out both sides of their mouth.

Progress as of 11am June 10th
As noted elsewhere, part of the supercharging equipment is located in the underground parking lot directly below the pedestal.
IMG_3688.JPG
IMG_3689.JPG

The frames of the charging pedestals are installed, but the balance of the distribution cabinets are still in their crates awaiting further work.
IMG_3749.JPG

But that's my point. What is the purpose of having SCs in Mountain View and San Mateo? There is no legitimate "long distance travel" use for both of them (and Fremont too) since they are so close so of course it will be used by locals. Don't get me wrong, these SCs will allow apartment dwellers and renters to buy a Model S so it's perfectly valid to put them in and allow more people to buy cars. But then Elon harps about SCs only being for LD travel and says they've going to nag locals not to use them? I'm confused - Tesla is speaking out both sides of their mouth.

With the density of Teslas around this area, I think they do need a lot of SCs in general. Perhaps each site doesn't have the power delivery or parking spaces to support double the SC stalls, so they decided to just split them into 2 different locations?

With the density of Teslas around this area, I think they do need a lot of SCs in general. Perhaps each site doesn't have the power delivery or parking spaces to support double the SC stalls, so they decided to just split them into 2 different locations?
My point is the duplicity of their speech. These SCs are categorically NOT for LD travel yet Tesla consistently says SCs are SOLELY for LD travel. You state that due to density Tesla "needs a lot of SCs in general." Why? You can easily get from Gilroy to Petaluma or Vacaville so that means by definition these SCs are for locals or the very rare through traveller that wants to hit HMB or something as Gra55h0pper stated.

On one hand I just want them to be honest that they are planning these SCs to support renters that can't charge at home and as Model 3 rolls out they'll have some kind of usage fee for those folks. This expands their market beyond homeowners and the very small group of renters that have charging available. But then again, based on how thin-skinned and entitled Tesla owners seem to be (at least the loud ones on this site) if they said something to that effect they would receive a firestorm of whining. And applying Hanlon's razor, they probably simply have backed themselves into a corner and don't know how they're going to deal w/ the Model S/X's that have "free lifetime charging" and so they're simply trying to cajole locals into not being jerks. Though I'm be curious what they're saying to prospective customers who are renters....