Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Mateo, CA - Park Place (LIVE, 8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pulled up and valet came over to my car and gave me the run down and asked for my keys.

I said no, I am not comfortable with that. His reply: "Get used to it" (verbatim) I did not give him my keys.

First time experiencing these guys and gotta say they are pretty aggressive and rude. I can manage my time charging myself.

Did you find out if he was actually monitoring charging of unoccupied cars and moving them out of the stalls? And if not, why would he need the key?

I would be very uncomfortable with leaving my car (e.g. to get coffee or take a bathroom break) if I was forced to hand over my key to a stranger. However, I can understand that mandatory valet service is one way to deal with the problem of people not moving in a timely manner at one of the world's busiest superchargers, especially if idle fees aren't doing the job.

What did he do when you refused to give up the key? It sounds like it wasn't actually mandatory, unless you left without getting a charge?

Reactions: EVie'sDad
We haven't been to this SC location yet but after reading about the Valet there read the posts to my husband. His reaction and mine as well was no way would we give our key to someone. I know there are "attendants" at Mt. View but this situation at SM sounds different. Is there any published info from Tesla on people being stationed at these lots?

Arrived and was not surprised to see it full with a line and valet doing some crowd control. Just needed a quick top off so I went down to the chademo in the garage. Free for the first hour with chargepoint and all available. Definitely faster than waiting in line because as I walked back to my car the same person was still first in line after eating at chipotle.

Did you have a chademo adapter? I tried charging downstairs with my J1772 adapter and wouldn't quite fit into the charging port of the car.

Pulled up and valet came over to my car and gave me the run down and asked for my keys.

I said no, I am not comfortable with that. His reply: "Get used to it" (verbatim) I did not give him my keys.

Did you noticed anyone giving their (fob) key?

If so, would the valet give a receipt in exchange, and would have inspected the car to report any body scratch?

I'd be reluctant to provide my key to anyone I didn't know. How can we be sure the valet is indeed a Tesla employee? Any Joe can buy a Tesla jacket and hat and pretend to be a valet. Next thing you know, your car is gone..

Has that ever happened though? I valet my car all the time, and it's actually a pretty common topic of conversation -- you're entirely correct, anyone could pose to be a valet anywhere. And then you can pull out your phone and watch them the entire way, and have the police waiting. Anyone who would steal this car posing as a valet is going to be caught immediately. It's not like they've prepped the car to disable the 4G antenna or anything in that situation.

The valet at San Mateo has always asked me if I'm going to be gone for 20 minutes if I leave the car. If I stay in the car, we never really say anything. But as you leave, if you're going to be gone for more than 20 minutes they've asked me for my key fob to move the car once charged. I've never planned on being there that long so I've never taken them up on it. But I can definitely see the usefulness of it.

• Informative
Reactions: thecloud
Yes, I always have the chademo adapter in the trunk (rarely use it though). Not sure why the j1772 adapter didn't fit into your car. Were you trying to use one of the combo chargers? Those won't work with the j1772 adapter.

This was a couple months ago but it was a charger that should have worked with a J1772 adapter. I can't remember if the adapter wouldn't fit snug with the charger or if the two once together wouldn't fit into the car's charge port properly. I think had to do with the size of the end of the charging cable. I'll have to try again next time I am down there.

Reactions: McManX
The valet has always asked me for my fob when I park and say I will take more than 30 mins. I usually go there in the evening after a longer drive and always find people waiting. Also the new thing the valet told me is that San Mateo charger was going to have 8 more chargers initially but due to the overcrowding and the locals parking and going to the gyms/office Tesla decided against it and will add 2 more Superchargers instead near Hillsdale and 3rd Ave instead of expanding this Supercharger .. total bummer.

• Informative
The valet has always asked me for my fob when I park and say I will take more than 30 mins. I usually go there in the evening after a longer drive and always find people waiting. Also the new thing the valet told me is that San Mateo charger was going to have 8 more chargers initially but due to the overcrowding and the locals parking and going to the gyms/office Tesla decided against it and will add 2 more Superchargers instead near Hillsdale and 3rd Ave instead of expanding this Supercharger .. total bummer.

I'd be stoked if they opened a SC in Hillsdale Mall and another in downtown SM.

Today was one of the very rare occasions I had to use this SC. There was a really nice attendant/valet guy there who directed me to the only available unpaired stall (it was further away suggesting he probably knew this was the case). He guided me into the spot and plugged me in too. Asked if I wanted him to keep the key and move when charging was complete, I politely declined because I was going to be back shortly. As I came back he was moving another car out and someone in line pulled in. Great service, nice guy, so just giving him a quick shoutout.

Also saw a cool S with a cool purple color changing wrap.

Today was one of the very rare occasions I had to use this SC. There was a really nice attendant/valet guy there who directed me to the only available unpaired stall (it was further away suggesting he probably knew this was the case). He guided me into the spot and plugged me in too. Asked if I wanted him to keep the key and move when charging was complete, I politely declined because I was going to be back shortly. As I came back he was moving another car out and someone in line pulled in. Great service, nice guy, so just giving him a quick shoutout.

Also saw a cool S with a cool purple color changing wrap.
I saw a beautiful blue wrap on an old style Model S. They covered the front black plastic piece with the blue too, and it turned into a really beautiful car that way! That was down on Santa Teresa Blvd in San Jose.

I liked the attendants at San Mateo. I bet that's more useful at heavy use SuperChargers.

Reactions: rickgt and McManX
793CAF79-F137-4732-BEF3-1B78BF9A8067.jpeg
is that what the car nav shows? On the Tesla website Find Us page it shows “San Mateo Supercharger”.

In car shows park place name, probably to distinguish it more from the new one

• Informative
Reactions: Joelc and Ulmo
In car shows park place name, probably to distinguish it more from the new one
Thanks, I’ve changed the thread title to reflect what the car nav shows.

The newer San Mateo Supercharger was called “Bridgepointe” from the beginning so it was obvious the two locations were not the same. Funny that Tesla would decide to change the name of the first San Mateo Supercharger after almost 3 years. Supercharger - San Mateo Bridgepointe Pkwy (2 stalls added for total of 12)