Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Mateo, CA - Park Place (LIVE, 8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's worse than I have ever seen it.

Me too.

So shortly after I plugged in, the paired stall for my stack vacated but my KW never went about 52KW even though I was still in the low 30s SOC. So I suspect nobody is getting optimal charge rates and their just taking longer.

That line *WOULD* have been much longer, but more than half the Tesla's coming in see it and then turn right around and leave. Clearly they didn't need to charge that badly.

Locals, please charge at home.

Another interesting observation, about half of the S's are 60's.

Tesla can't roll out dynamic SC usage, predictions, and wait times integrated into the map/nav.

If they know the location of all Teslas they know how many are at the location and not charging and they know how many are in route and could easily predict based on charging status, SOC, waiting cars, and cars in route what the wait time should be by the time you get there.

Reactions: pjoseph and Altes
Me too.

So shortly after I plugged in, the paired stall for my stack vacated but my KW never went about 52KW even though I was still in the low 30s SOC. So I suspect nobody is getting optimal charge rates and their just taking longer.

That line *WOULD* have been much longer, but more than half the Tesla's coming in see it and then turn right around and leave. Clearly they didn't need to charge that badly.

Locals, please charge at home.
Hear hear!

That was the only SC I encountered during my cross country trip this summer that was full. 2 cars waiting then.
I sat in the lot long enough to plan an alternate route. I had enough charge to get to another SC so I didn't wait.

Some lady is road rage honking because she can't get out of the parking lot on the side of the horseshoe that she wants to exit from in her Mercedes. She's holding down the horn nearly constantly I guess thinking all those Tesla's will move :)

A shot of the line:

Screenshot_2016-12-16-09-51-46-X3.png

Some lady is road rage honking because she can't get out of the parking lot on the side of the horseshoe that she wants to exit from in her Mercedes. She's holding down the horn nearly constantly I guess thinking all those Tesla's will move :)

Actually seems understandable that someone would be upset if they couldn't get out of a parking space because Tesla's refused to try to accommodate. This isn't a fast food line. You expect her to sit there for 30 minutes to wait for a supercharger to open up and the line to shuffle?

Reactions: bmah

Well, I'm not sure where she is, with respect to the line, but common courtesy says they ought to let her out. It's not like the Tesla drivers own that parking lot. Though I probably would have walked up to the car(s) blocking my way out and asked the owner(s) politely if they could please help me by making space for me to get my car out. (shrug)

A shot of the line:

OK, silly thing on my part. I clicked on the "play" button on your static picture. Of course it doesn't do anything. Then I realized that of course you wouldn't have posted a movie...it's a bunch of Teslas waiting for chargers in the Bay Area, of course nothing's moving. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Bruce.

For impacted sites, they should move to a freemium pricing scheme. A bank of free-for-all, paired/shared charger stalls, and a bank of paid, max charging speed stalls for people who really need a quick charge and are willing to pay for it. The freeloaders will queue up for the free stalls. The road trippers who have the bad luck of coming by at an impacted time have the option to queue for the free charge or pay to get on the road quicker. The ratio of free to paid stalls can be adjusted dynamically by market demand to ensure there's usually at least 1 paid stall available.

San Mateo SC is the absolute worst I've seen. Mountain View is also very crowded but much better. SM, I've tried 5 times. One time I waited 20 minutes (I was 2nd car) because I was desperate (showing enough range to get home, exactly, but with 110V charging there at the time... :-( ) Another time I got lucky on a whim and a spot opened as I rolled by. The other 3... fugettaboutit. Horrible line and nobody in the cars. That's a clear indicator that they aren't moving anytime soon. I get the feeling that SM SC if full of people who park and charge and local limos.

Note, having mostly used Bay Area SCs so far (4 mo owner), it was a pleasant shock to take a roadtrip down south this last week. Midweek, nearly every SC was either completely empty or only a car or two. I hit (map order not sequence)Gustine - one other car
  • Gustine - one other car
  • Harris Ranch (2 other cars down daytime, nobody on way back up weekday night)
  • Buttonwillow - nobody but it was dark on a weekday
  • Bakersfield - nobody
  • Mojave - nobody
  • Twentynine Palms - nobody
  • Cabazon - 4 others
  • Hawthorne - 4 or 5 others

29PalmsSC.jpg
ButtonwillowSC.jpg
29PalmsSC.jpg
ButtonwillowSC.jpg
MojaveSC.jpg
HarrisRanchSC.jpg