Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Rafael, CA (LIVE 4 Feb 2023, 8 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This site is officially under construction as of this morning! My timing was perfect to see them beginning to set up (and check their phones haha).
The store employee told me "Tesla chargers are going in there."
The location is different than the original plan -- it's in the back of the parking lot in what were the spots reserved for picking up online grocery orders.
Going to be a congested mess, but always happy to see another Supercharger.

View attachment 828137
This is on the north side of the western lot correct? The original proposed location is to the south west of this along Mary St? Are you sure they aren’t just staging equipment here and the actual spots will be along Mary St? Based on the original plans the excavator is in the right spot for the cabinets and the stalls will be to the left of it.

This is on the north side of the western lot correct? The original proposed location is to the south west of this along Mary St? Are you sure they aren’t just staging equipment here and the actual spots will be along Mary St? Based on the original plans the excavator is in the right spot for the cabinets and the stalls will be to the left of it.
Sorry for the delay in responding. Yes, this is on the north side of the western lot. I was told by an associate they are installing it there but will keep an eye on it.

I drove by today and they have fenced off the new location (north side of the western lot) and they were digging there. The SC's are definitely going there. The old location is untouched.
So it will be up against the building where the white and red vehicles are in the original plans? Sounds like the compromise they reached with the property line and tree removal or whatever issues they were having early on.
1658265203429.png

I was passing through and I can’t even find a transformer pad, but there is a place where one might reasonably put one (see first photo):

View attachment 853635View attachment 853634

Bruce.
1663481278934.png

Looks striped but can’t tell on signs.

1663481853948.png

Looks like the transformer is supposed to go with the switchgear and cabinets but there is no pad and no trenching from wherever power is? Also looks like the layout of the switchgear changed, maybe to crest another parking stall to the right.

Looks striped but can’t tell on signs.

I don't remember seeing any signage but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. I'd guess that's the purpose of the dark metal signpost-like things coming out of the tops of the red bollards.

Looks like the transformer is supposed to go with the switchgear and cabinets but there is no pad and no trenching from wherever power is? Also looks like the layout of the switchgear changed, maybe to crest another parking stall to the right.

That diagram is very different from what I saw this morning. I took a cursory look around the parking lot but didn't see anything nearby that looks like a transformer or a pad. Presumably the transformer would need to go somewhere fairly close to the switchgear and charger cabinets?

Bruce.

Presumably the transformer would need to go somewhere fairly close to the switchgear and charger cabinets?
Not necessarily: At Castaic, there's quite a distance between the white Tesla cabinets and the green utility transformer; if you're standing at any of the Tesla equipment, the transformer isn't even visible because it's behind a building.

I would suggest following any signs of fresh trenching, which is how I found the Castaic transformer location, but that trick has completely failed me at the new Dublin (Amador Valley Blvd) location.

Reactions: bmah
Not necessarily: At Castaic, there's quite a distance between the white Tesla cabinets and the green utility transformer; if you're standing at any of the Tesla equipment, the transformer isn't even visible because it's behind a building.

I would suggest following any signs of fresh trenching, which is how I found the Castaic transformer location, but that trick has completely failed me at the new Dublin (Amador Valley Blvd) location.
Per the plans, the empty space by the cabinets and switchgear is where the transformer goes. But then again, the cabinets and switchgear were supposed to be in a line, not perpendicular to each other.

If I had to guess, they moved them perpendicular to create more space for the regular parking spots to the right, still leaving enough room for a pad and transformer. This might be the case where Tesla was ready but PG&E was not so they did all their work and left room for PG&E to trench in power and place a transformer and pad to connect to the Tesla infrastructure when ready. And maybe place an A frame saying waiting on utility to energize site.

Reactions: bmah
This might be the case where Tesla was ready but PG&E was not so they did all their work and left room for PG&E to trench in power and place a transformer and pad to connect to the Tesla infrastructure when ready.
What puzzles me here is, generally when Tesla has finished up and is awaiting the utility transformer, there are conduits molded into the concrete to carry the future cables between the transformer and the Tesla cabinets. I'm not seeing conduits like that here--jus a solid slab.

An conduit exception I've seen is at big sites, where the transformer and cabinets are close together, and there's a rectangular conduit above ground for the high-amperage connection. But this site is small--only 8 stalls.

(Another exception would be Lost Hills, where there are no conduits but also no concrete slab--just a hole in the ground next to the white cabinets. ;))

What puzzles me here is, generally when Tesla has finished up and is awaiting the utility transformer, there are conduits molded into the concrete to carry the future cables between the transformer and the Tesla cabinets. I'm not seeing conduits like that here--jus a solid slab.

An conduit exception I've seen is at big sites, where the transformer and cabinets are close together, and there's a rectangular conduit above ground for the high-amperage connection. But this site is small--only 8 stalls.

(Another exception would be Lost Hills, where there are no conduits but also no concrete slab--just a hole in the ground next to the white cabinets. ;))
That’s not a solid slab, no concrete. It’s just the ground. Maybe if PG&E still needs to trench power in, they will place the pad and transformer and Tesla will run conduit to their equipment while everything is excavated.

Or, they have run conduit elsewhere for a transformer.

@bmah @goldengate Is the Whole Foods transformer visible or is it possible they are underground? That could be a reason for no transformer pad. Which would still be odd that it’s on the approved site plans.

That’s not a solid slab, no concrete. It’s just the ground. Maybe if PG&E still needs to trench power in, they will place the pad and transformer and Tesla will run conduit to their equipment while everything is excavated.

Or, they have run conduit elsewhere for a transformer.

@bmah @goldengate Is the Whole Foods transformer visible or is it possible they are underground? That could be a reason for no transformer pad. Which would still be odd that it’s on the approved site plans.

Right, there was no empty concrete slab, just a patch of dirt that might be about the right size for a transformer pad.

I didn't scout out any other part of the grounds. Also not familiar with this area, so I'm not sure where the existing transformer would be, what might constitute a "new" power pole, etc.

Bruce.