Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Rafael, CA (LIVE 4 Feb 2023, 8 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

A new Supercharger is coming soon to San Rafael! Tesla filed a permit last month for the installation of an 8-staller at 340 3rd St, next to the Whole Foods. Based on what I saw in my review, Tesla is having a hard time getting the project approved right now due to the trees located behind the stalls. I'm expecting more delays, so this one might take a while.

Search B2110-101 on eTRAKiT

San Rafael.jpg

Wow that's "MY" Whole Foods... they just finished re-configuring and re-paving the parking lot.... sounds like it will be torn up again.
The lot itself is very very congested but that location is better than some of the others in that lot. Pretty close to 101 freeway but in a very congested area.
I was hoping we would see a large station at the Target parking lot in San Rafael where there's tons of space and no chance of ICE'ing... this one will likely experience some iceing at times. Still great to see it on the permit list!

I stopped by today and took a picture of the proposed location for the 8 superchargers... this parking lot is a congested mess most of the time. This photo was taken at 10 am on a Tuesday... not exactly prime time for shopping.... Northgate Mall to the north would have been a great site for a supercharger. There are enormous parking lots near the old Sears (now RH Outlet) which would easily accommodate a large station with no danger of ICEing.
IMG_0407 (2).jpg

totally agree with goldengate there. I live down Freitas and Northgate would be perfect for a larger supercharger installation given the much larger parking areas, quicker access to 101. Northgate only has 2 DC/1 L2 EVgo chargers in total and a good amount of demand. It's possible that the development uncertainty with the northgate mall may impact Tesla getting in there, but even the parking lot by Michaels and the old Toscalito Tire is more stable (long term) and has tons of open spots.
I actually stopped going to whole foods on 3rd because of how chaotic that parking lot is (got backed into twice in 1yr). Novato is just easier despite the longer drive. I can see the whole foods location here becoming a real battleground for spaces with the 8 tesla spots getting ICEd frequently. I hate to be pessimistic since I'm always checking for new SC installations, but this one will add a lot of stress and controversy to that lot if it goes through. I would think whole foods and the customers would be better served by a L2 charger bank that can be used by all EVs, including Teslas.

Reactions: goldengate
I just checked eTrakit and the permit was approved on 12/10 so should be issued soon:

Group:​
ALL
Type:​
PLANNING
APPROVED
Date Submitted:​
12/10/2021
Date Due:​
12/10/2021
Date Completed:​
12/10/2021
Reviewer:​
Renee Nickenig
Notes:​
(12/10/2021 10:10 AM RJN)
EV charing stations and associated equipment included under streamling per AB 1236.

Let's hope they are finding a better location.
Visited this week - no construction or pavement markings.
Unless you mean a different location in the Whole Foods parking lot, they wouldn't have applied for a permit extension if they are relocating to another site. They would have let this one expire and applied for a new one at the new site. It wouldn't be valid at a different address.

Reactions: mociaf9 and MarcoRP
This site is officially under construction as of this morning! My timing was perfect to see them beginning to set up (and check their phones haha).
The store employee told me "Tesla chargers are going in there."
The location is different than the original plan -- it's in the back of the parking lot in what were the spots reserved for picking up online grocery orders.
Going to be a congested mess, but always happy to see another Supercharger.

IMG_5546.jpg

This site is officially under construction as of this morning! My timing was perfect to see them beginning to set up (and check their phones haha).
The store employee told me "Tesla chargers are going in there."
The location is different than the original plan -- it's in the back of the parking lot in what were the spots reserved for picking up online grocery orders.
Going to be a congested mess, but always happy to see another Supercharger.

View attachment 828137

Is the picnic table part of the installation? ;)

^^^ @Big Earl @corywright @Chuq

Bruce.