Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Rafael, CA (LIVE 4 Feb 2023, 8 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stopped by today, covered in tarps... delivery truck blocking some of the pedestals.
IMG_9399.jpg

This site has an unusual arrangement. There are six charging adjacent charging stalls, one non-charging stall, and then another two charging stalls, all in a row. I can imagine people getting suckered into the non-charging stall and not realizing it until they've parked there.

The non-charging stall is on the far side of the Midnight Silver Metallic (a.k.a. "grey") Model Y in the picture below.

Bruce.

IMG_0270.JPG

This site has an unusual arrangement. There are six charging adjacent charging stalls, one non-charging stall, and then another two charging stalls, all in a row. I can imagine people getting suckered into the non-charging stall and not realizing it until they've parked there.

The non-charging stall is on the far side of the Midnight Silver Metallic (a.k.a. "grey") Model Y in the picture below.

Bruce.

View attachment 903357
That is odd. I've not been to the area but found this on old Street View, perhaps the circled water runoff drain proved an impediment to pedestal installation.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-02-04 17-44-21.png
    Screenshot from 2023-02-04 17-44-21.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 52

Bruce.

View attachment 903357
Did the transformer go in with the equipment cabinets or is it elsewhere?

With the equipment cabinets... :cool:

Bruce.

View attachment 903688
Thanks! Glad to see it wasn’t some crazy offsite location and matched the plans.

With the delay, I wonder if PG&E is blacking out fire season for transformer installs so they have them on hand if they need to replace a bunch due to fires. Would explain the gap from August site completion to Jan transformer installation.

Thanks! Glad to see it wasn’t some crazy offsite location and matched the plans.

With the delay, I wonder if PG&E is blacking out fire season for transformer installs so they have them on hand if they need to replace a bunch due to fires. Would explain the gap from August site completion to Jan transformer installation.

That would make some sense, there haven't been a whole lot of NorCal completions recently.

Bruce.

So how did they run the conduit? Is it above ground? Did the Tesla guys run half the conduit and the PG&E guys did it up and attach their half to the conduit buried in the ground? Inquiring Minds wanna know.
Guessing Tesla put everything in below ground to the pad location then covered it and pge uncovered, extended stubs above ground and dropped a premade pad on top. Then dropped the transformer on top of that. Makes the most sense but unless you videoed the whole process, who knows?

Reactions: israndy
One possible reason they picked this location: there are many, many large apartment buildings just a few blocks away on the other side of the freeway. In addition to serving travelers on 101, these chargers could allow apartment dwellers nearby to charge conveniently once a week.
And unlike some of the other nearby possible sites, this location is right next to a Peet's coffee, and there are other eating choices very nearby.