Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Ramon, CA - Diablo Plaza (LIVE 5 Apr 2019, 20 Urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well if that is what was approved, no wonder they had to take the signs down. I drove by yesterday (Saturday) just to see if anything had changed and it still has no signs. I wonder why they originally thought they could put up signs for EV charging only on 18 of them with only 2 of them shared use? Anyway, I know it isn't open yet - but yesterday 5 of the 20 had ICE cars in them. If they are really shared use then expect a lot of that and for the "5 of 20 stalls open" on the Tesla Nav display to be useless.

Well if that is what was approved, no wonder they had to take the signs down. I drove by yesterday (Saturday) just to see if anything had changed and it still has no signs. I wonder why they originally thought they could put up signs for EV charging only on 18 of them with only 2 of them shared use? Anyway, I know it isn't open yet - but yesterday 5 of the 20 had ICE cars in them. If they are really shared use then expect a lot of that and for the "5 of 20 stalls open" on the Tesla Nav display to be useless.

I suspect there is a discrepancy between what Tesla intended and what the city understood and that may be why the signs came down. I tried to call the planner who signed off on it yesterday but he was out of the office. I imagine the signs are down because they are working on a solution. I hadn't thought about the Nav display, but you are right. I'll try to get hold of the planner on Tuesday to see what is going on. The online supercharger map on the Tesla site doesn't even show it as being under construction.

I stopped by today. It is hard to believe, but this site went backwards. I am going to add to this post a picture from January 26th showing the 5 charger units in the corner on the right(facing the pedestals there are 5 charger units way to the left where the transformer will be and 5 chargers on the far right) and also a picture from today showing that those chargers have actually been removed. There must have been something wrong with the install. The other 5 chargers on the far left are still there. The transformer is still NOT there. Interesting that they added the bags. Looks like three pedestal bags have been stolen. All the rest have a bag on them.
MVIMG_20190301_130450.jpg
MVIMG_20190126_094606.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP and mociaf9
Interesting that they pulled them... maybe they're install Supercharger v3 instead?
Well, they would need to pull the other 5 from the other end (which they could do) and also pull out the 20 72kW urban charger pedestals. But of course they could do that too. But it seems like a waste of resources. I'd expect the first V3 chargers to be directly off an interstate highway and not at a strip mall. But time will tell...

So, I drove by today and they've knocked the back wall of the block enclosure out and where widening the charger footings. Based on some of the v3 info from reddit that the cabinets are larger, this seems very likely that they decided to swap at least those ones over to v3. i imagine the urban pedestals will be swapped as well...

So, I drove by today and they've knocked the back wall of the block enclosure out and where widening the charger footings. Based on some of the v3 info from reddit that the cabinets are larger, this seems very likely that they decided to swap at least those ones over to v3. i imagine the urban pedestals will be swapped as well...
Well they’ll have to quick if they’re to go live at 8:00 snap. I really hope they are, otherwise Elon will have to send out another Tweet: “Sorry, I meant they go live at 9pm” an hour later, “What I meant is that they go live tomorrow at noon” Next day, “Ok, the V3 Supercharger will definitely go online at 2pm today, maybe. Sorry, Elon Standard Time complications.”

Well they’ll have to quick if they’re to go live at 8:00 snap. I really hope they are, otherwise Elon will have to send out another Tweet: “Sorry, I meant they go live at 9pm” an hour later, “What I meant is that they go live tomorrow at noon” Next day, “Ok, the V3 Supercharger will definitely go online at 2pm today, maybe. Sorry, Elon Standard Time complications.”

Or maybe this is slated be the nth V3 Supercharger, not the one that's supposed to open tonight.

Bruce.

IMO, it's more likely that the space was either miscalculated, mismeasured, or there was a typo/error in the plans and they ended up not having sufficient clearance space for the equipment. But I guess we shall see.

Last edited:
Reactions: bmah and miimura
This is very curious. I also noticed the missing chargers. I just put in a call to the City Planning Department and maybe I can find out what the situation is. If I don't hear back, I may see the City Manager this evening and maybe he will know something or connect me with someone who does.

I saw that today, too. I talked to the City planner who is handling the project yesterday, and he said they are still working out the parking issue. I explained about the number of charger available or in-use that the Tesla drivers see on their screens, and apparently he wasn't aware of that. He also said that state law gives EV chargers priority over other uses, and the city has little control other than the issuance of permits. There are also other chargers permitted for several areas in the Bishop Ranch as well as on Fostoria Way in the north Petco parking lot. They will be CHAdeMO connectors and another connector he wasn't sure of.

Apparently, according to the planner, the Tri-Valley area (Pleasanton, Dublin, San Ramon, Danville) has the highest number of Teslas registered in California. They do seem to be everywhere.

• Informative
Reactions: Troy916 and bmah
I saw that today, too. I talked to the City planner who is handling the project yesterday, and he said they are still working out the parking issue. I explained about the number of charger available or in-use that the Tesla drivers see on their screens, and apparently he wasn't aware of that. He also said that state law gives EV chargers priority over other uses, and the city has little control other than the issuance of permits. There are also other chargers permitted for several areas in the Bishop Ranch as well as on Fostoria Way in the north Petco parking lot. They will be CHAdeMO connectors and another connector he wasn't sure of.

Apparently, according to the planner, the Tri-Valley area (Pleasanton, Dublin, San Ramon, Danville) has the highest number of Teslas registered in California. They do seem to be everywhere.
PS: The planner also said the Target permit for the current 10 chargers actually allows for more than they built. They have the option of adding more.

Reactions: Troy916
Appriciate you posting this we need more tri valley supercharging. Looking at Google maps the entire building the Patelco is in shares the same address so if 20 chargers were adjacent they almost have to be in the big lot closer to Chipotle .

They should have installed the original 20, near Chipotle. Do they NOT know about the "Tesla Line"? The line of Tesla waiting to charge?? It makes no sense at it current location.