Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Ramon, CA - Diablo Plaza (LIVE 5 Apr 2019, 20 Urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just drove through there and the new signage has only three or four signs that were EV only that I could see. All the rest said, EV priority, 60 minute general parking. I couldn't see a lot of the signs, though because of all the PG&E trucks parked there. I'm surprised that the signs don't mention Tesla, although the chargers do. Are there other cars that can use Tesla chargers now?
No, buy it is directly adjacent to a bank and atm, so lots of vehicles parking short term.

Isn't it the closest one to you? I can charge at home, that doesn't mean I do every day. I usually keep it about 50%, but if the wife wakes up and says we are going to Monterey for breakfast I am glad I can pop by my local Supercharger on my way out of town.

I charge to 50% not only because it's the best state to store lithium batteries in, but because it's enough to get to any of the Bay Area Superchargers and yet it leaves me room if I go somewhere that has free charging while I am inside. Just this week we had dinner at Pacific Commons and there was a free Volta charger out front. Had to move my charge limit up as it almost stopped charging at 90% and we were still talking.

-Randy

Isn't it the closest one to you? I can charge at home, that doesn't mean I do every day. I usually keep it about 50%, but if the wife wakes up and says we are going to Monterey for breakfast I am glad I can pop by my local Supercharger on my way out of town.

Actually Concord is closer to me by a touch. More importantly, there seemed to be more interesting "stuff" around Concord, if I had to charge there and wait for charging to finish. I didn't see much at Diablo Plaza that was interesting, although at the time I was more concerned about just getting in and out, as part of a half-day road trip to the Groveland Supercharger yesterday.

(My charging is 90% at home every night...I know some people would say that's too high but it's within the range of what Tesla recommends for daily charging, and more importantly my car only has about 2% battery degradation after almost 4 years and 61K miles. I'm sure my co-moderator will thwap me with a wet noodle if I say anything more about local charging habits in this thread. :D)

Bruce.

I charge to 50% not only because it's the best state to store lithium batteries in, but because it's enough to get to any of the Bay Area Superchargers and yet it leaves me room if I go somewhere that has free charging while I am inside. Just this week we had dinner at Pacific Commons and there was a free Volta charger out front. Had to move my charge limit up as it almost stopped charging at 90% and we were still talking.

-Randy

I am glad I am not the only one that adjusts the charge limit up.;)

I am glad I am not the only one that adjusts the charge limit up.;)
Don't wanna waste free electricity. I'd be that guy at the gas station that doesn't completely release the handle when he pulls the nozzle from the car and it's spilling gas everywhere. Sure, it'll evaporate, but you could have used that to move your car.

@bmah Had you already done Fish Camp? I made the mistake of trying to get that one and Groveland the same day. That is one UGLY road between them, assuming you don't go thru the park. And I mean ugly driving, the view is grand:

Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 6.25.07 PM.png

Oh! Well, I guess you will just have to take my word.

-Randy

@bmah Had you already done Fish Camp? I made the mistake of trying to get that one and Groveland the same day. That is one UGLY road between them, assuming you don't go thru the park. And I mean ugly driving, the view is grand:

I haven't done Fish Camp yet. I briefly entertained the thought yesterday, but there wasn't enough time. I'm planning to do Fish Camp starting from Fresno (my hometown) when I'm down that way.

Going even further off-topic (o_O), my ideal scenario would combine the Fish Camp Supercharger with a ride on the Yosemite Mountain Sugar Pine Railroad, which I only did oh, about a half-dozen times as a child. And sometime I'm going to go back to the Sierra Railroad, which is not far from the Groveland Supercharger. I've ridden that a few times too. I was a train nut as a kid.

Going back to the San Ramon (Diablo Plaza) Supercharger, I saw that today it's reporting between 6 and 20 stalls free at various times. It'll be interesting to see how that goes over the next few weeks, as people learn about its existence.

Bruce.

I was staying on topic. We were talking about spots getting ICE'd, I was thinking about solutions. Normally you know there is a spot waiting for you by checking the Nav display, if Tesla added cameras to the stations you could tell if spots were being ICE'd, that's all.

-Randy

Came here around lunch time and saw only a couple ICE cars. But, also, only a few Tesla’s. Good thing is Verizon works fairly decently in the corner area there. (Was getting up to 45mbps down). As some may know, a lot of Crow Canyon area has very poor Verizon reception.