Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Ramon, CA (expanded to 16 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, so went by today. Took a bunch of pictures. Site is close to done except the PG&E transformer, striping, landscaping/wall, and the charge point stations. Paving, etc. is complete. Fences are gone. Weird part is they clearly were going to do 16 stalls. Earlier pictures and the pavement show they put in conduit for it, then for some reason they cut the conduit below the pavement and paved over it. Only two reasons: They decided 10 stalls for now (fits the narrative that they are cutting back on spending/having a shortage of equipment) or they decided to pave it and dig it up later (doubtful), maybe a capacity PG&E issue till city center is complete next door? I suspect they will dig it up when an expansion is warranted/they have the cash, and they just cut back the site size for now to avoid the extra spend. Missing Chargepoints are a bit weird though... Anyone else ever hear of them going full conduit and then paving over it? Seems strange. There is two more paved over spots under the trackhoe and storage container i think for 6 total. View attachment 323618 View attachment 323619 View attachment 323620 View attachment 323621 View attachment 323622 View attachment 323623 View attachment 323624

And there are clearly spots with conduit for the additional three chargers and the additional three buck/boost transformers too. Definitely "ready" to host 16 pedestals there...

OK, so went by today. Took a bunch of pictures. Site is close to done except the PG&E transformer, striping, landscaping/wall, and the charge point stations. Paving, etc. is complete. Fences are gone. Weird part is they clearly were going to do 16 stalls. Earlier pictures and the pavement show they put in conduit for it, then for some reason they cut the conduit below the pavement and paved over it. Only two reasons: They decided 10 stalls for now (fits the narrative that they are cutting back on spending/having a shortage of equipment) or they decided to pave it and dig it up later (doubtful), maybe a capacity PG&E issue till city center is complete next door? I suspect they will dig it up when an expansion is warranted/they have the cash, and they just cut back the site size for now to avoid the extra spend. Missing Chargepoints are a bit weird though... Anyone else ever hear of them going full conduit and then paving over it? Seems strange. There is two more paved over spots under the trackhoe and storage container i think for 6 total. View attachment 323618 View attachment 323619 View attachment 323620 View attachment 323621 View attachment 323622 View attachment 323623 View attachment 323624

Thanks for the update

If the city of San Ramon decided at the last minute that they wanted something more out of Tesla to allow the full buildout, it wouldn't surprise me (I have a business in San Ramon and have seen the city pull that kind of sleazy stuff before). It could be that they told Tesla 10 is all they'll allow unless Tesla gives the city X, Y or Z, and Tesla just said "fine, we'll make do with 10", with the city never expecting Tesla to stand up to them.

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy
Just returned from a Target run...the Supercharger area does not look significantly different from the pictures that @Darksoldier360 posted last week Monday. The site still needs a transformer, striping and (I think) at least one light fixture.

Couple of observations: All of the stalls are marked "Telsa Vehicle Charging Only". There is also no easy way to get from the main parking lot area into the area where the Superchargers are...you need to either enter from the access road into the shopping center (on your way in from Bishop Dr.) or directly from Bishop Dr. This latter arrangment might actually help to deter casual ICE-ing because if you're in the main parking lot, you really really really want to have to get over this little lot over on the side of Target.

Bruce.

Couple of observations: All of the stalls are marked "Telsa Vehicle Charging Only". There is also no easy way to get from the main parking lot area into the area where the Superchargers are...you need to either enter from the access road into the shopping center (on your way in from Bishop Dr.) or directly from Bishop Dr. This latter arrangment might actually help to deter casual ICE-ing because if you're in the main parking lot, you really really really want to have to get over this little lot over on the side of Target.

Bruce.

That's the nice thing about this whole Supercharger and Target synergy thing going on - pretty much every Target I can think of nearby has an oversized parking lot with at least one odd side lot that nobody ever really parks in, save for maybe a few end-of-year holiday shopping days.

Went by this morning. Not really any more progress. The fence surrounding the work area is gone. There are still only 10 pedestals and the equipment for 10 (buck/boost transformers and chargers). Seems like they are going to call it done at 10. As to what it still seems to need: PG&E Transformer (and wiring up), re-striping the spots (as the existing lines are faded and are not in the right place for the pedestals), and then whatever inspections are required.

Oh hello pg&e transformer, striping and the beginning of a chargepoint. Site is cleaner, nearly wrapped up. Transformer In. landscaping in.

Attachments

• 20180821_191949(0).jpg
    20180821_191949(0).jpg
    597.5 KB · Views: 143
  • 20180821_191930.jpg
    20180821_191930.jpg
    835.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 20180821_191904.jpg
    20180821_191904.jpg
    576.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 20180821_191918.jpg
    20180821_191918.jpg
    814 KB · Views: 112
  • 20180821_191850.jpg
    20180821_191850.jpg
    404.6 KB · Views: 123
  • 20180821_191843.jpg
    20180821_191843.jpg
    488.4 KB · Views: 116
That's the nice thing about this whole Supercharger and Target synergy thing going on - pretty much every Target I can think of nearby has an oversized parking lot with at least one odd side lot that nobody ever really parks in, save for maybe a few end-of-year holiday shopping days.

It would be really cool if they would put a Supercharger at the West Dublin Target. It is only 1/4 mile from the SC and would relieve a lot of the pressure and perhaps negate the need to have a valet at the SC.

My favorite thing about it is I can go in and cheaply buy food :) More specifically, fruit!

The ChargePoint charger that @Darksoldier360 reported on Tuesday is in (not turned on yet but cables are now attached). It looks to me like they might need to do one more unit (there are more EV charging spaces there than there are connectors on that ChargePoint unit).

Not much new on the Supercharger side but it looks almost done. (As we know from experience that doesn’t necessarily mean the site will be up soon...)

Bruce.

Took a quick look today. It's still short at least 1 chargepoint (1 onsite, 1 conduit still sticking up). Be interesting to see what they do re the extra 6 stalls that they paved over. My theory is they open with 10 and go to 16 shortly after once whatever parts/cash constraint is over.

I was assuming it wasn't a parts or cash constraint but more of an argument with the city over parking spots. There are always a certain number of spaces that have to be general parking for a certain amount of retail square footage. It was originally approved for 16, but perhaps adding the ChargePoint ones cut into it and maybe the city recounted spots or something.

I was assuming it wasn't a parts or cash constraint but more of an argument with the city over parking spots. There are always a certain number of spaces that have to be general parking for a certain amount of retail square footage. It was originally approved for 16, but perhaps adding the ChargePoint ones cut into it and maybe the city recounted spots or something.

Could be... I've seen City of SR do some stranger things... Guess we'll find out.

Went by today about 7:45PM, bunch of electrical trucks working with a bunch of people. Not PG&E trucks (white not blue) but they looked like they could have been besides that. My guess is they're doing some final cabling and flipping power on to the transformers and cabinets. I suspect Tesla will then inspect and validate the site is within spec and turn the pedestals on.

Reactions: bmah
I'm here right now. Swung by the Dublin Supercharger and there were about 5 cars waiting to charge...11 mins later and just 2 of us in San Ramon. They need to put this one on the map to relieve Dublin!

Interesting to note the Dublin supercharger icon on the screen says "Reduced Service". I've not seen that before.

Attachments

• 2018-08-31 10.19.03.jpg
    2018-08-31 10.19.03.jpg
    641.9 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: wyldtek