Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sandy, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone at Tesla loves Portland. This is the second SC that mostly benefits people from Portland (Detroit is the first).

If I lived in Portland, these would be the superchargers I used the least - I would be charging at home and so go right past them on a road trip.

However, since I live in East Oregon, I have felt the lack of a supercharger closer to Portland than 40 miles (Woodburn, so actually the wrong direction) a couple of times - it's 80 miles going back East from Portland. Which means that when I drive in and park at the airport, I have to charge enough at The Dalles to make it in to Portland, back again, and also counter the ~20 miles range/week I lose while car is sitting - so I don't dare be under 200 miles range heading into Portland. Now, I will be able to do the typical 20-minute charge in The Dalles, and have no issues with getting to a charger on my trip home!

And, getting in to central Oregon is always a fun challenge - so looking forward to the Burns charger! I only use SCs on a road trip, but without them, I couldn't!

Quick update. I stopped by the site today and there was no visible sign of development. I believe the ideal place the SC are going to go, is on the west side of the parking lot near the current Chademo charger and also near the fuel stations.

I have a friend in Sandy and she sent me this picture 10/1. It looks like construction is happening nicely. I happily take reputation points as payment ;)

Fred Meyer Grocery
16625 SE 362nd Dr
Sandy Oregon 97055

SandyORSupercharger.png

Sandy looks great!!
Does anyone know why tesla puts the 'odd man out' charger station at the end of the row.. .. as is the case again here. I have seen this many times at different SC's.. . Is there a designed in reason for this? Sometimes they are all in a row, and many times there is an Odd Man out at the end.. ??

Seems like that'll be a good pull in nose first stall, and that'll work well for Model X with a trailer. Then the trailer is left sticking out behind Model X, but is sort of against an edge of the parking lot, so its as much out of the way as it reasonably can be.

That's my guess.

I decided to take a trip out to the Sandy Supercharger to see if it opened -- it's still not open as of October 29, 2015. It's ready to go! I just wonder when they will flip the switch and take down the orange cones and barricade tape. It will be great for ski season, which is coming up very soon.

It shows up in my nav system. I don't know if that means it's open yet or not, but the car thinks it is.

Apparently it's open:

Sandy Supercharger | Tesla Motors

When I picked up my 85D this morning, the DS told me something interesting. Apparently the DS who worked with me in 2013 is still with Tesla, but is a permanent, Portland-based member of the supercharger team. It sounds like there are more superchargers coming in Oregon.

It shows up in my nav system. I don't know if that means it's open yet or not, but the car thinks it is.

Apparently it's open:

Sandy Supercharger | Tesla Motors

When I picked up my 85D this morning, the DS told me something interesting. Apparently the DS who worked with me in 2013 is still with Tesla, but is a permanent, Portland-based member of the supercharger team. It sounds like there are more superchargers coming in Oregon.

Looking at the map, Oregon and Washington have a pretty thin SC network compared to the number of Teslas on the road. Washington is the 4th state in the country for Tesla sales behind CA, TX, and FL, but has only a scattering of SC. Oregon doesn't have quite as many Teslas, but I think it's ahead of the national average per capita. I hope they fill out the network a bit in the next couple of years. I suggested to Tesla they put SCs in Washougal and Roseburg. Roseburg is a more natural stop if you're driving to CA from Portland than Eugene or Grants Pass. Washougal would be a great place to charge coming or going from the Gorge on SR-14 which is slower than I-84, but it's a big enthusiasts drive, especially for motorcycles in part because of the curves, but also it's more scenic than I-84.