Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sandy, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will go take a trip out to it tomorrow and confirm that it is open. It's only 15 miles from my work, so it's an easy trip and I can do a little shopping at Fred Meyer since it's right there too. Yay!! Ski season is going to be great with this charger!!

- - - Updated - - -

I like your idea on having a few more Superchargers mixed in on the I-5 corridor. I would also like to see something put in around Bend so people are able to drive to Crater Lake with no worries. The Detroit Lake and now Sandy locations are great, but a bit more of an extension to get to Crater Lake and further down to Klamath Falls would be a great addition to the Oregon Supercharger network.

Tesla has had a coming soon icon near Bend on their Supercharger map for a while now. I don't know if they are running into problems with the location search or what. It would be a good location for travelers crossing Oregon both N-S and E-W.

I don't think it will be in Bend. My bet would be the Fred Meyers parking lot in Redmond. Because it would be really well positioned to serve travelers going on highway 126 (Sisters to Prineville and connecting to H26), highway 97 (Dalles to Klamath Falls). And in addition, there is already a level 3 charger there. Which is something I have noticed that EV installs are usually around existing charge points (Sandy for example). At any rate, a SC in Central Oregon is badly needed, but we also need one around Klamath Falls so we can get to Shasta, which would then allow me to easily drive all the way to silicon valley.

Bend or south of Bend gets my vote for most needed Oregon charger. La Pine would be nice. There is a lack of charging infrastructure in the area south of Bend.

This would be nice for those of us coming from the Eugene area. We could top off before heading to Mt Bachelor/Bend or drive back over Willamette Pass. La Pine would be nice for people working at the Apple data center.

I recently posted the following in the Bend thread.

Hopefully, Tesla follows these threads and realize the need for a SC along highway 97 is very real. We can "stretch" our 85D to make the run to Mt Shasta City but it's disheartening to be passed by Subaru's and 18 wheelers as we hold our speed to 55 or less to conserve charge. The "real" speed limit on highway 97 in Oregon has just been increased to 65 (from 55) and in the next months the new limit will be posted, making our limp along at 55 even more frustrating. The number of Tesla's in Central Oregon is growing exponentially and allowing an easier connection south will only help sales. There are a number of Destination Chargers in the area (Eagle Crest just added a DC) but a SuperCharger in Klamath Falls, LaPine, or Bend will help connect Central Oregon to the South.

Bend is a crying need. Burns would be really nice to facilitate the cross-Oregon route to Boise. Burns would only need a bay or two, not a huge installation.

Yes!! The eastern 2/3rds of the State of Oregon are currently inaccessible except on I-84. We also need added SCs on US 97, the north-south main highway just east of the Cascade Range of mountains. This is a major route that joins I-5 at Weed in northern California.

Bend and Burns is also on the main route east to old US 30 and on to New York. That route needs many more SCs also further east. Thumper is right that for now at least there is only a need for one charger with two bays on the routes east of Bend.

Put it in La Pine and the next stop can be Mt. Shasta, CA. Put it in Bend and you'll need another one in K Falls or something.

Also, La Pine would be just swimmingly on my route from Eugene to Sunriver. ;)

Slower Supercharger?

The Sandy SuperCharger has been delighting Tesla owners all day today! :biggrin:

I went out to Sandy, charged and was surprised that the Supercharging only reached 100 or so AMPs with 400 volts. This seemed a little slow when compared to my CHAdeMO adaptor and other Superchargers in the area - Woodburn and The Dalles. I hope this gets ramped up a bit, but I am glad to have the charger regardless.

I went out to Sandy, charged and was surprised that the Supercharging only reached 100 or so AMPs with 400 volts. This seemed a little slow when compared to my CHAdeMO adaptor and other Superchargers in the area - Woodburn and The Dalles. I hope this gets ramped up a bit, but I am glad to have the charger regardless.

If your battery was at 400 Volts, it was almost full. Try again with the battery at a relatively low State of Charge, and your charge rate should be a lot faster. With the famous taper, the fastest charging is with an almost empty battery.

Stopped there last night, works great!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    187.9 KB · Views: 155
If your battery was at 400 Volts, it was almost full. Try again with the battery at a relatively low State of Charge, and your charge rate should be a lot faster. With the famous taper, the fastest charging is with an almost empty battery.

OK, I checked it out yesterday again with 20% left in the "tank". It went a lot quicker this time around, but it still tapers differently from the CHAdeMO charge that I do in town. That last 20% (70% to 90%) probably doesn't need Supercharging as it tapers way down - 80AMPS or less is sufficient at this rate, and that is what I am experiencing with the CHAdeMO charging.

Anyway, I am still grateful for any Supercharger location and this one is a good one - plenty of things to do for 40 minutes!

Tuesday 2pm and almost full at 6/8. Unfortunately, I’m here until 100% charge, trying to make Kennewick without the Dalles temporary closed).