Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Ana, CA (12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, neighbor

Sorry for all the "no locals allowed" folks, but I'm thrilled at this news because I live literally 500 feet away from the mall (just got that pesky 5 freeway in the way) but it's extremely convenient. The mall has gone through new ownership recently and in the last few years they've been working on upgrading the facilities and bringing in better tenants. I haven't snooped through this sub forum at all but I have a stupid question; how long does it take to build these once the permit is approved? I'm also wondering where they'll situate it within the existing parking spaces.

I thought I would check with the mall administrative office to find the exact location. I'm just south of the mall myself. I'll post here if I find out anything of value.

Not to be crass, but we have heard this before...
  • Culver City: "Finally! Now this will certainly help reduce congestion at SJC."
  • Redondo Beach: "Finally! Now this will certainly help reduce congestion at SJC."
  • Hawthorne expansion: "Finally! Now this will certainly help reduce congestion at SJC."
  • Fountain Valley: "Finally! Now this will certainly help reduce congestion at SJC."
:tongue:

Oh, believe me. I was the one shaking my head before at all the 405 SpC knowing full well they would do absolutely nothing for SJC. This SpC, being along the 5, is a different ball game.

Sorry for all the "no locals allowed" folks, but I'm thrilled at this news because I live literally 500 feet away from the mall (just got that pesky 5 freeway in the way) but it's extremely convenient.

I don't understand how one can be thrilled about a Supercharger opening nearby. Petaluma and Napa (opening.. eventually) are near me, but they provide zero benefit. I get more excited about Superchargers filling gaps like Fresno and Buttonwillow. Superchargers near me have no value to me, unless I am getting overrun with Plugsharers at the house (I'm not).

Reactions: David99
I haven't snooped through this sub forum at all but I have a stupid question; how long does it take to build these once the permit is approved? I'm also wondering where they'll situate it within the existing parking spaces.
The length of time required for Supercharger construction after the permit has been issued varies tremendously because there are so many variables, some of them outside Tesla's control. It could be 2 months, it could be 6 months.
At this time we don't know where the Supercharger stalls will be located in the mall parking lots.

Last edited:
The length of time required for Supercharger construction after the permit has been issued varies tremendously because there are so many variables, some of them outside Tesla's control. It could be 2 months, it could be 6 months.

Yup... To add to this... Look at the Burbank Supercharger thread. Stalls look built and the utility was the gating factor.

I don't understand how one can be thrilled about a Supercharger opening nearby. Petaluma and Napa (opening.. eventually) are near me, but they provide zero benefit. I get more excited about Superchargers filling gaps like Fresno and Buttonwillow. Superchargers near me have no value to me, unless I am getting overrun with Plugsharers at the house (I'm not).

I generally think the same, although I have had a use-case for having a local SC: My son is at college, about an hour's drive away. He still had braces on his teeth when he went there back in the fall, but was scheduled to get them off in late October. My wife drove down & picked him up, brought him back and dropped him at the ortho, and once the braces were off, took him back to the college and then came home. All told, that's about 300 miles, more than my S85 can manage, especially in the cold. There is no SC in Minneapolis (yet) but it sure would have been handy. Instead, we have plenty of 50kw DC fast chargers (CHAdeMO) here in the Twin Cities, and I have the adapter. So, after dropping my son at the ortho, my wife went to one of the nearby DCFCs, charged for about an hour, and then was able to take our son back to college and return home.

So, this is a bit of a corner case, but the point is, if one does a lot of driving in a day even around one's home, having a SC nearby could be useful. OTOH, I would prefer that Tesla first focus on getting SCs between cities, say, along I-80, etc.

It would be very interesting to see what kind of thinking is going on at Tesla to somehow keep local Supercharging to a minimum. We know it is very tempting, and we know is it a problem. I will confess to stopping at SJC when I was low on the way back from SD before the Qualcomm SC went in, but I could have made it the additional 30 miles or so to home without risk.

Related to this, I put a suggestion for helping us be courteous about Supercharger use. If I get enough positive feedback, I will sent it on to Tesla, Please take a look and add any feedback or better ideas.

SuperCharger Use Map - Page 4

Attachments

• Supercharger Waiting.jpg
    Supercharger Waiting.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 142
My neighborhood just experienced a 11 hour power outage overnight, with 7 Tesla effected, wasn't a big deal for us since we don't use the car to commute to work but others had to take their ICE or Uber in the morning.

This is just awesome. I think complaining is crazy lol, I'd welcome a supercharger anywhere. Tesla is awesome and it just gives another option for the surrounding area now. Love it!

+85DL

Finding welcoming host sites is much more difficult than most people realize. Tesla is doing a great job, and they have been getting better with experience.

Having led the search, negotiation, and installation of 2 70-Amp J1772 sites in SW Colorado, I speak from experience. In both of those locations, I just wanted to find a single, well situated space in each location with power.

My neighborhood just experienced a 11 hour power outage overnight, with 7 Tesla effected, wasn't a big deal for us since we don't use the car to commute to work but others had to take their ICE or Uber in the morning.

Nice neighborhood. Were you not able to charge at all because time-of-day pricing issues push you to charge after midnight? Is surprising to hear that it's so common to need to charge every day. I sort of imagined that your average tesla driver would not use a lot of their range in an average day.

Nice neighborhood. Were you not able to charge at all because time-of-day pricing issues push you to charge after midnight? Is surprising to hear that it's so common to need to charge every day. I sort of imagined that your average tesla driver would not use a lot of their range in an average day.

I've actually lost power in the garage before as well, and having access to a local supercharger (FV at the time) saved my butt. Don't worry folks I went there around 9:30p on a weekday and it wasn't full.

Nice neighborhood. �� Were you not able to charge at all because time-of-day pricing issues push you to charge after midnight? Is surprising to hear that it's so common to need to charge every day. I sort of imagined that your average tesla driver would not use a lot of their range in an average day.

I am following what I was told is the best plan for the battery; I just plug in every night, and awake the next day with "a full tank," meaning a maximum daily use charge level (about 90%), not a higher, trip level. Apparently, this is what the battery likes. Anyone know differently?