Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Ana, CA - 5th St. garage (LIVE 20 Nov 2020, 20 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious. How do you know it's to be a 72W installation? I was under the impression, perhaps mistakenly so, that no more 72W installations were being made.
Page 13 of the agreement with the city shows 72kW stations. Tesla is still doing 72kW "urban" Supercharger installations in situations where they are warranted such as in city centers and parking garages. They have largely replaced the 150kW installations they were doing with the newer V3 250kW units.

Reactions: mociaf9
Thank you, sir. Good to know. I live a bit over a mile from this but will never use it, I'm sure. But, it will be a boon to the folks who work in the center of the city or visit the array of restaurants there. If I need an external charge, I'm closer to the MainPlace mall.

Reactions: 4SUPER9
Just curious. How do you know it's to be a 72W installation? I was under the impression, perhaps mistakenly so, that no more 72W installations were being made.

I have not seen anything from Tesla stating that was the case.

I don't think Tesla ever made a formal statement, but I believe Ed is correct in making the inference. If we look at the data, we would see this:

Of the last 100 sites found (including permits, new construction and openings)
250 kW: 79%
72 kW: 5%
150 kW: 4%
Unknown: 12%

Further, with the sole exception of this site, not a single other 72 kW or 150 location was newly permitted during this time. Given that, I find it very unusual that Tesla would choose 72 kW for this location. Perhaps it was in the works for a long time and previously unknown to us.

Looking back at the last 1000 finds:
250 kW: 21%
72 kW: 26%
150 kW: 31%
Unknown: 22% (many likely expired)

Now given that there were no 250 kW locations built before the last 300 new locations, analyzing last 1,000 sites is not an accurate portrayal. If we wanted to tease the data our further, which is a waste of time, you would see a clear and dramatic ramping up of the 250 kW locations, and a major decline, almost to the point of obsolescence of all others.

upload_2020-9-25_15-37-38.png

Reactions: mociaf9
Sorry about the klutzy way I uploaded. I have to go back to computer school!! But, at least we can see progress. You'll see Tesla confirmed in the picture with the red attachment/sign on the cabinets. (Posting 13)

It is the only image of the group that posted successfully, so I guess that's lucky. The others look to be direct links to Outlook, so no one but you (or possibly other users at the same institution?) can see them. But good to see progress!

Last edited: