Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Ana, CA (12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today just after lunch. One guy told me they will finish their work by Friday and then it's up to Edison. I will keep an eye out for more.
20160920_124627.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: ggnykk
An update as of this morning:

1. No more electrical crew working on the Tesla site per se as it appears their work is done. All stations are up as are the cabinets.

2. The transformer has yet to appear. I assume this is Edison’s responsibility.

3. What remains?

a. Paving work, if any, to be done. Right now, it’s not aesthetically pleasing and I’m sure something will be done to take care of that, perhaps a resurfacing or, even better, a red paint job as some have pointed out was done at Culver City.

b. Some landscaping, in all likelihood. I saw some workers with a PVC pipe-bearing truck that appeared to be for sprinklers a couple of days ago. I didn’t see any evidence of their completed work and there are several dirt spots left to cover.

c. Construction fences are still up.​

4. And, an important component is likely to be that the signage work must be completed before the Super Charger can go active as one station is within a foot or two of the sign construction site. To remind folks, there are three signs being erected, one of which appears complete. It is presently displaying advertising on a large digital screen. Temperature and time are below, although the time has always been 6:57 since it was lit up. Two others remain, both of which, I was told, will have digital screens. This morning, workers were filling in dirt around the base of the sign next to the western-most Tesla station. I talked with a supervisor who told me the $5 million project has a completion target date of the end of October.

5. So, in a nutshell, I doubt that the Super Charger can open until at least the sign next to it is fully operational. So, I guess we can all hope for a good treat at Halloween at best!!

Last edited:
I'm not so sure Edison and Tesla can be "blamed" as I suspect it's just an order of work thing. It looks to me like it would have been difficult for the sign folks to do what they have to do while electricians are working just below them. And, I also suspect the electrical supply to the sign and the Super Charger are integrated in some way. But, I can't say I really know.

Not blaming anyone, Ed. Sorry! As you know, waiting for the transformer is a common rate-limiting step, even for much smaller installations than this one. Even if the transformer installation does not have an impact on the neighborhood infrastructure that has to be dealt with first, the utility often needs to order the needed transformer and wait for delivery.

I was just making an unnecessary acknowledgement that the names are still around. After recently reading a couple of books about the history of the early days of electricity in the U.S., I find the history fascinating.

I need to restrain myself from making random, useless comments late at night!

One hopes that there's a project manager that kept on top of ordering any transformers or other items that had a significant lead time.
great update! They need to re-paint the lines too. Any sign of the transformer? Probably another two weeks before opening.
Probably another two weeks once the transformer gets there. It hasn't. And there's that sign construction in the way, too.

Funny that they removed the angled parking (changing to straight) for the 8 stalls, and added angle parking (from the straight) for the other 2 stalls. Not important. Just an observation.

The way I've seen some people park, if they aim for the old painted lines in those photos, they ought to line up just about right with the charger pedestals. :)

Bruce.

My last, long report was a week ago. Thought I'd give a "progress report" in as much as there is one. From what I recall last week, no signage was up and there was some remaining pavement work to be done. That has been finished, it seems, as you'll see in the posted photos. Oddly some striping has been done and some hasn't, a bit of it incorrectly, I suspect. Where the last bit of asphalt was put it near the new sign under construction the crew striped the stall as slanted per the original lines. I suspect that will be redone as the stations are straight-in ones. In fact, the two handicapped stations that stand alone to the east are straight in. You'll note all, even the non-Tesla spots, have been restriped to be straight in. And, you'll see the signage indicates Tesla parking only. Forget what's on other Super Chargers around the country. There appears to be no progress on construction of the sign next to the Super Charger but I did get the fun yesterday morning of watching the large video screen erected by crane at the north end of the Mall parking structures. I need to edit a video of it and I'll post that separately. I'll call it something like Godzilla Gets His Big-Screen TV Mounted!! Progress, yes. How much? Don't know in the overall scheme of things. Supposed due date for the signs is end of the month. (OK, after i wrote all of the above, I'm having some issues with uploading files. I'll post these and see if a second post "fixes" things.)

Attachments

• 20160930_111954.jpg
    20160930_111954.jpg
    830.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 20160930_112532.jpg
    20160930_112532.jpg
    779.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 20160930_112656.jpg
    20160930_112656.jpg
    648.7 KB · Views: 73