Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Ana, CA (12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just for information, when I looked a month ago up close, I saw spray paint markings about where the Supercharger is to be for a company (forgetting the name) that I Googled. It was for a digital sign company. I also happened to ask a neighbor who is on the Santa Ana Planning Commission about the Tesla Supercharger. He didn't know anything about the SC but indicated a large animated sign had been permitted for that spot. So, it may be that the digging equipment is for that. We'll keep an eye on it.

• Helpful
Reactions: rfmurphy81
I was over at Main Place this morning and walked over to the area under construction. As it turns out, the supervisor on the job is the son of a former employee of mine. He told me that he was putting in three-inch conduit for four electronic signs to be visible from the freeway. I asked about a Super Charger and he said that normally a two-inch conduit would be sufficient but that a larger one was requested for additional electrical capacity in the parking structure. So, clearly, there is prep work being done for a Tesla site. He indicated that while his part of the job was allocated two weeks, he intends to be finished today after four days on site. So, in one sense construction has started but in another, I guess, it's not. But, certainly progress is afoot.

Attachments

• Main Place Mall Install.jpg
    Main Place Mall Install.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 171
  • Helpful
Reactions: rfmurphy81
A weekly check-in. All quiet on the Western Front. I would think that nothing would begin on the SC until the wiring is completed for the signage at least. But, that's just my supposition. I'll give it another look in a week and then will go dark for a couple more as I'm on an Alaskan cruise. Would have driven up in the Tesla, but, well . . . you know.

Went by there on Monday; there's a fenced off area with some construction equipment. No sign of the large electrical vault necessary for SC yet. The permit describes the work as IN the STRUCTURE. There are more than one parking structures, so the work area I saw may not even be the SC site.
In any case, this one is slow going.

Just drove by today. The enclosure location seems to be marked on the ground and the power feed has been stubbed out. Can't yet tell if the spots will be inside or outside. I'm betting outside next to the enclosure.

Attachments

• 20160526_115623.jpg
    20160526_115623.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 118
As I noted above, a series of electronic signs is to be built along the road by the freeway. While I am not in the neighborhood for several more days, I believe this location is for one of those. I can check in a week or so. It is likely the signage will start before the SC, in my estimation based on two conversations I have had with folks involved.

Not much of an update, but it's been awhile. I am posting a couple or so pictures to show that the construction at Main Place is most likely for a digital sign as evidenced by the deep hole and footers being built. This is the site of the picture in post #71. And, there is a picture of where conduits come out of the ground near where I believe the Super Charger will be built. Of course, time will tell. Anyway, for what it's worth.
20160624_083059.jpg
20160606_101642.jpg
20160624_083059.jpg 20160606_101642.jpg

I posted a picture earlier with a large red arrow pointing to where the management guy said the Super Charger is going. It's at the most southern end of the parking structure (first floor). The big dig is on the north side of the mall parking area to the back.

Not much of an update, but it's been awhile. I am posting a couple or so pictures to show that the construction at Main Place is most likely for a digital sign as evidenced by the deep hole and footers being built. This is the site of the picture in post #71. And, there is a picture of where conduits come out of the ground near where I believe the Super Charger will be built. Of course, time will tell. Anyway, for what it's worth.View attachment 182473 View attachment 182474 View attachment 182473 View attachment 182474
Yep, I saw that conduit sticking out near the existing chargers. In my opinion, there's nowhere near enough diameter in those stubs to account for the large-gauge wire needed to support several SC spaces.
You could be right about the location I noted in #79, as that deep dig is new.

The only thing we can say definitively is this will be a while - perhaps a long while - before this location comes to fruition.