Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Ana, CA (12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A permit application has been found for Santa Ana.

12 stall supercharger to be located in the parking lot of the Santa Ana Westfield Mall.

supercharge.info

image001.png

Reactions: callmesam
Finally! Now this will certainly help reduce congestion at SJC.
Not to be crass, but we have heard this before...
  • Culver City: "Finally! Now this will certainly help reduce congestion at SJC."
  • Redondo Beach: "Finally! Now this will certainly help reduce congestion at SJC."
  • Hawthorne expansion: "Finally! Now this will certainly help reduce congestion at SJC."
  • Fountain Valley: "Finally! Now this will certainly help reduce congestion at SJC."
:tongue:

Haha. Actually, I have some hope that this time we are correct. Being that this is the first I-5 SC in the region, and it is close enough to SJC, we may actually see some real relie. At least, anyone traveling this route can just skip SJC and not worry about whatever locals are parking their cars there anymore. It will not help FV though, which is now also severely congested, and has been since launch.

@Blueshift, thank you for posting that Santa Ana permit, that's great news. That location (also known as "Mainplace" mall) has been speculated about recently in the California Superchargers thread.

That is an excellent location for those making long trips on the 5 through LA. Of course it will get used by locals as well, but 12 stalls is a sizable installation.

I live a few miles down the road from this spot. Won't complain about more superchargers, but I never liked mall charging spots due to the tendency for locals to sit there all day. Also, potential for CHOC hospital employees right across the street to occupy the spaces all day, though it'd be a bit of a walk. Is there anything close by to eat other than the food court indoors too?

@eyespii
yes, there are lots of places to eat across the street from the mall so from that stand point, it is good location. But as others have brought this up, I am afraid this location will turn into another SJC or FV which at peak times, all the spots are occupied by locals. On Saturdays and Sundays, it is pretty much impossible to find a stall in FV when the costco is open and sometimes there are 2-3 cars waiting to plug in. I am certain, it will be the same with this location on the weekends so there will be no actual benefit to people traveling on the 5, unless you are willing to wait 30-40 minutes for a stall to open and then charge at a low rate because all the stalls are occupied and drawing juice.

Can a Mod please append ", CA" to the thread title?

Some of us Supercharger-nerds like the consistent format. :p
If you look at this subforum topic list at California Supercharger locations you will see that none of the thread titles have "CA" in them.
When I came onboard as the mod for the California forums, some of the Supercharger threads had "CA" in the title but most did not. Since the subforum is only for California Superchargers I decided to remove the "CA" from thread titles.
I welcome this coming 12-stall Supercharger site. The more the better. This site may have some negatives but I see no point in complaining about them. The positives outweigh the negatives. I suspect it is a challenge for Tesla to find ideal sites, and I think this is a good one.

One other factor that may or may not be an issue will be the location on the property where the SC's will be located. Next door to the mall is the Discovery Science Center. While they have their own parking, it is somewhat limited and it can spill over into the mall parking during times when the Science Center is busy. If a space is ICE'd by a Science Center visit, be prepared to have it there for some time while the visitor takes their kid in for some fun and learning.

Sorry for all the "no locals allowed" folks, but I'm thrilled at this news because I live literally 500 feet away from the mall (just got that pesky 5 freeway in the way) but it's extremely convenient. The mall has gone through new ownership recently and in the last few years they've been working on upgrading the facilities and bringing in better tenants. I haven't snooped through this sub forum at all but I have a stupid question; how long does it take to build these once the permit is approved? I'm also wondering where they'll situate it within the existing parking spaces.