Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Ana, CA (12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good to see Tesla is trying to keep up with the increased demand. Not an easy task with the large number of new cars they are putting on the street now.

A limited charge rate is far better than waiting on line. Even if Tesla is just adding 10 more stalls without upgrading the power capacity it is preferable to having less stalls with full power. Being able to plug in and do something else while charging is better than having to form a line in a busy parking lot.

Maybe a glitch? It also says only 12 stalls in Fountain Valley, which should have 16?

When my car first got the update last night, the first thing I checked was the Supercharger info in the app. I noticed the 4 superchargers listed there all got "less" max number of chargers than the actual number. So I went to the car and hit the lightning icon and see how many are there in each of those 4. Then I went back to the app and double check... lo and behold.. the app now shows the correct number for all of them.

I am thinking when you open up the supercharger screen on the car, it updates to the app on the max number of chargers.

576D3257-BD69-430B-A812-72913C5F2F3E.jpeg

Interesting little quirk. Limited to exactly 82%. I guess they got too many complaints about only 80%. ;)

I had a terrible experience with this charger as well on a recent trip returning from San Diego to the Bay Area. First a long wait in line, and when it was finally my turn the charger I got was super slow. The other sites in the area seemed to be full according to the in-car map, but given that I was barely getting any power I decided to drive on to Westminster and was lucky enough to get a spot. Also not ideal though, because that's a 72kW site.

Any recommendations by the locals which chargers along 405 or 5 usually work well?

I had a terrible experience with this charger as well on a recent trip returning from San Diego to the Bay Area. First a long wait in line, and when it was finally my turn the charger I got was super slow. The other sites in the area seemed to be full according to the in-car map, but given that I was barely getting any power I decided to drive on to Westminster and was lucky enough to get a spot. Also not ideal though, because that's a 72kW site.

Any recommendations by the locals which chargers along 405 or 5 usually work well?

It's a shame about all the negative experiences with this location (and many other heavily used SuC). I prefer the "Urban" chargers because they seem to be a lot more reliable. I'm never sure if the V2 stall, the cabinet, my car, or the power supply is the issue but I've been to too many SuC where I'm bouncing from stall to stall to get a charging rate above 40kW. The Urban chargers only take an extra 10 minutes to get where I need to be, but that can be tiresome if you're on a trip that requires 4 stops.

I've only been to this location twice (I like to make sure our 2013 S85 will still Supercharge BEFORE taking a road trip). I've noticed it's really popular during the lunch hour when office folk can pretty much get a 80% SOC while getting some quick-serve food. The Valet makes a lot of sense and it's a shame if they are gone. I'd pay $5-$10 for such a service so I can enjoy my sit-down meal or movie at the theater uninterrupted.