Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Ana, CA (12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you go about tracking down new SC's?

A permit application has been found for Santa Ana.

12 stall supercharger to be located in the parking lot of the Santa Ana Westfield Mall.

supercharge.info

View attachment 111592

Blueshift:

I appreciate all the work you do in maintaining Supercharge.info. I update some tracking I do on The Motley Fool from that.

How do you track down new Supercharger permits etc? I'm very interested to know what the status might be in Arkansas, Mississippi, Missouri, Alabama and Tennessee. That's a big gap in the middle of the country which has significant impact on traveling from the North East to Texas.

Thanks

Blueshift:
How do you track down new Supercharger permits etc? I'm very interested to know what the status might be in Arkansas, Mississippi, Missouri, Alabama and Tennessee. That's a big gap in the middle of the country which has significant impact on traveling from the North East to Texas.
Thanks

For the most part others do the work and send their findings to [email protected]. While creating an entry at supercharge.info if I find that there is no corresponding TMC thread I'll often create one. In this case someone named Trevor actually found the Santa Ana permit. I can't claim credit. I'm just a point of aggregation. :)

Last edited:
I talked with someone who appeared to be a supervisor at Main Place late last week. He told me the location for the Super Charger is to be on the first floor at the southwest corner of the parking structure nearest the 5 freeway. (See attached Google Earth screen capture.) I was back there today about 3 p.m. and that area had no cars parked there or nearby. His estimate for beginning construction was six months or so, unfortunately.
20160401_083825.jpg
MainPlace Mall Tesla Supercharger Location.jpg

I talked with someone who appeared to be a supervisor at Main Place late last week. He told me the location for the Super Charger is to be on the first floor at the southwest corner of the parking structure nearest the 5 freeway. (See attached Google Earth screen capture.) I was back there today about 3 p.m. and that area had no cars parked there or nearby. His estimate for beginning construction was six months or so, unfortunately. View attachment 171202 View attachment 171203

Thanks for gathering this information!

Looks like a "Culver City" situation. Ok, except for the time between Thanksgiving and just after Christmas.

I can confirm that parking at this mall sucks between Halloween and New Years. I'm curious how frequently this will be ICEd during these times. Hopefully they paint the stalls red and have ample signage all around.

Not a fan of mall SCs but it seems to be a regrettable theme in the Southwestern Region. It's such an obvious conflict of interest and you can hear it during every grand opening. Tesla rep: 20-minute charging and be on your way! Mall rep: Come in and have dinner, do some shopping and catch a movie! Never mentioned is "but do be sure to move your car after charging is complete".

Much less of a problem at hotels and fast food joints.

Having valets/concierges at the very few busier locations is alright, but remote monitoring would also be functional to get rid of ICEing - both by our own and by the ignorant. I saw a woman park her new Porsche in a SC space recently. She stared right at the sign and couldn't care less. That's easy money for a cop right there. Try parking in Santa Monica without a front plate sometime. Where there's a will to enforce the law, there's a way.

All of that said, Orange County has the highest number of Tesla owners and has been woefully under-planned/under-served since day 1. Fortunately that is changing (see Buena Park), but still leaves OC 1 short relative to LA County. Further, until North (San Diego) County gets an SC, SJC will continue to be impacted.

Finally, the whining about locals can stop anytime. Tesla has committed to DENSITY as well as to DISTANCE for almost 2 years now. Time to accept it.

Edit: PS: And yes, big thanks for supercharge.info, the Changes tab at which is great for seeing what's going in where. China's done well lately. No joy for Tucson - San Antonio for 2 years running, of course.

Indeed. See Eureka and Crescent City, CA. Hundreds of miles and hours of driving on not the best roads will be saved once these come online.

At least those are permit-ed which implies they've been sited.

There's no excuse to have not even sited more critical parts of the infrastructure such as the I-10 gap between Tucson and San Antonio - forecast since 2014, this vital stretch for transcontinental year-round travel went 0-8 in 2015 and is closing fast upon 0-8 in 2016 as well. At this point, it's either ignorance (lack of awareness of relative traveler safety) incompetence (lack of accountability/prioritization), technical concerns (hot weather relative to battery and SC maintenance), or some combination of the three.

The Santa Ana SC, aside from going into another mall (the least viable option, given the inherent conflict of interest), is going to be almost as impactful for OC SC relief as the as-yet-to-be-sited 1st SC in North County.

Unless and until an SC appears in North San Diego County, SJC will continue to be a chokepoint.

Orange County remains the #1 county for owner density and as such, given Tesla's commitment to DENSITY as well as to DISTANCE, one would think it would have more SCs than, say, the greater Maricopa County area.

One has to be concerned about the management of the Southwestern Region when both density and distance priorities are not met.

Reactions: callmesam