Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Barbara, CA (LIVE 4 Oct 2021, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Goldengate, I know exactly how you feel. I suggest you plan your hotel accommodations around their ability to offer you a charge option. Otherwise you are constantly thinking about how much is left and getting to your next "fix".
To add insult to injury, even if you leave enough charge to get to Buellton on your way home means you have to start your trip out with a long sit at the supercharger. Not ideal. And it makes it worse if you are planning on traveling around the weekend because the pairing and throttling of the charge rates means you may be charging for more than an hour at each stop on the way home. Much better to start out full IMO.

Reactions: goldengate
Santa Barbara would be a nice stop ... any updates on Supercharger permits/plans there ?
Stop in Buellton, great wineries and Solvang. Then head east by Lake Cachuma for a very nice drive and drive into SB from the mountains. If you are still heading south, next would be Oxnard, but many options heading that way. Look for Destination or L2 chargers in SB, but you probably won't need it.

Stop in Buellton, great wineries and Solvang. Then head east by Lake Cachuma for a very nice drive and drive into SB from the mountains. If you are still heading south, next would be Oxnard, but many options heading that way. Look for Destination or L2 chargers in SB, but you probably won't need it.

Avoid planning on going through the 154 highway by lake cachuma. The highway is closed till next month due to the rain damage from last week.

Reactions: KirkNason
I had a chat with one of the folks at the SB SC last week, good people down there. When I asked "so, when is it happening?" The answer was "we wish it would've already happened but we are maxing out the power already with what we have here now." Not sure if this is fact or conjecture on their part, but that's what I was told. Truly, we need one in SLO or Morro Bay. Folks that are taking Hwy 1 don't want or need to travel inland to Atascadero to supercharge. The fact that Hwy 41 has been closed with mudslides makes the point even more obvious. That stretch from Monterey to Buelton is a long one without a stop to power up.
The SLO one was a great addition, but I agree on Morro Bay. I go up there every summer to visit my brother (headed up there next week). Topping off in SLO on the way in is good, but then spending several days driving around, to take my daughter to see the elephant seals, to Hearst Castle, etc. and then charging on the 110 in the garage of the condo I always rent is less than ideal, as is going to Atascadero (especially in the summer when it is >100 degrees there) or the Madonna to supercharge.

Guess I need to convince the condo owners to put in a NEMA 14-50. :D

The Santa Barbara/Goleta area, which includes Montecito, has to be among the higher Teslas per capita places in the world.

According to the Tesla app on our phones, the United States cities' per capita CO2 savings from driving Teslas:

Number one belongs to Rancho Santa Fe with 1,944.83 pounds of CO2 saved per capita.

Twenty-nine cities (thirty including Rancho Santa Fe) have a higher per capita figure than Santa Barbara.

Santa Barbara comes in at 156.80, a respectable 31st!

My town comes in at #200 with 12.86 pounds per capita. :oops:

Globally, only Norway has a higher per capita amount than Santa Barbara.

According to the Tesla app on our phones, the United States cities' per capita CO2 savings from driving Teslas:

Number one belongs to Rancho Santa Fe with 1,944.83 pounds of CO2 saved per capita.

Santa Barbara comes in at 156.80, a respectable 31st. :oops:

Globally, only Norway has a higher per capita amount than Santa Barbara.

Trying to understand these stats. Population Rancho Santa Fe... 3,117. Population Santa Barbara City, 91,101. I suppose the idea is to provide an indirect way to say what percent of the population of a city have Tesla’s ... assuming they use some average CO2 saving per Tesla.

If so, whatever the number of Tesla’s in SB, multiply by 362 to match the Tesla CO2 savings per capita in rancho (assuming I looked up the population for right city and did the math right).

That’s a lot of Tesla’s... :)

I guess it’s also a measure of the relative wealth of the City. And that tracks... median 2010 household income was $189k for Rancho, $71k for Santa Barbara....

Santa Barbara comes in at 156.80, a respectable 31st!
Well, I stand corrected:) I'll have to figure out how to find that on the app. If you go to say Costco here on any given day, well, yesterday, we counted 16 in the parking lot. No charger, just shopping. They are absolutely everywhere.

I remember being a kid and seeing the sign in your avatar, my father had to drive past it again so I could see if it really said what I thought it did. Is that I5 or I15 or something else? I've not seen it in years. I drove from Santa Barbara to Las Vegas which I think would have taken me on the 15 normally but there was a problem and we went around somehow. I suspect that my father would have had us in the car on the way to Vegas, though, must be the 15.

To stay on topic I'll post a picture of where I had heard that the Santa Barbara Supercharger location was going to be.

There isn't much to do around it aside from shop for cars, it's our car dealer row, one of two. Porsche is across the street and around the corner, maybe they could put Taycans out and try to entice S owners. Actually I know a guy at the dealer who said if there were a Supercharger there that is exactly what they would do, offer drives. I love Porsches, especially if they are air cooled, I have three, but I asked him, sounds like a great car, how do I take it cross country? He didn't know.
tesla dealer.JPG

The electrical plans at Target show a future EV charge operating on 480V 3 phase. I personally have not seen this, but the person who told me that would have reason to see the plans.

If I were them I'd have the capability install a high power charger too, but I don't know if their parking lot is big enough to have a bunch of Teslas swarming around, and I'm not sure they'd need it, so I'm not betting on a Tesla station. Looks like they will have something, though.

If I were the owner of the Magnolia shopping center I'd be trying to get a SC station there, that would I think give them a big boost. They (always) need something.

The one in Santa Barbara is at 5 Points near Big 5.

Awesome news about the one near Costco - I live 1 mile from there.
I heard that the third one was potentially going to be in the La Cumbre Plaza parking lot, but that it hasn't been approved yet. That would be better than 5 points because no one goes to LA Cumbre anymore..there's lots of room there. 5 points gets pretty crazy sometimes. But either place would be great..I have 2000 supercharger miles and no where to use them :)

Reactions: ajsbesla
I am very suspicious of that map and the placement of the pin. The area between Big 5 and Ross is a solid line of stores. The map pin is smack in the middle of a (not shown) store. The parking on the frontage road is constantly full and the worst place in that lot for a charger. I know that area very well. The best place would be the area just north of Big 5. There are usually only 4 or 5 cars there most of the time, plus it's a little up hill from the rest of the area. Close to and very visible to the 101 North off ramp traffic.

I am very suspicious of that map and the placement of the pin. The area between Big 5 and Ross is a solid line of stores. The map pin is smack in the middle of a (not shown) store. The parking on the frontage road is constantly full and the worst place in that lot for a charger. I know that area very well. The best place would be the area just north of Big 5. There are usually only 4 or 5 cars there most of the time, plus it's a little up hill from the rest of the area. Close to and very visible to the 101 North off ramp traffic.

The address on the permit is 3943 State Street, which is the Smart & Final and the general address for the 5 Points Shopping Center. The pin is on the Smart & Final store location, but presumably they will be putting the supercharger in the parking lot next to the store instead of within the store itself. The planning submittal for a screen for Tesla superchargers and the related electrical permit ready to issue leaves little doubt.

• Funny