Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Barbara, CA (LIVE 4 Oct 2021, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The threads were recently separated. We, Santa Barbara area, kind of went to the penthouse from the outhouse, we have as many Teslas as Prius', but no SC, not even one very close. Now we have three permitted/in progress, thus the separation of the threads.

If you look behind Home Depot you'll see a trailer with the contractor's name on it, they build SC stations. We are good to go.............somewhere in the Marketplace.

If i really wanted to I have someone I could ask, but where is the fun in that? Kind of like not knowing the setlist before a concert. My last concert, had I known, i would not have been surprised to hear Eric Clapton do "Purple Rain", or he and 30 of his best guitar playing friends do High Time. (Crossroads Guitar Festival). Small thrills in life. Like seeing where those pedestals go:)
Kind of off topic, but have you heard Jeff Beck live at hollywood bowl playing purple rain? Clapton needn’t bother.

I might have mentioned at some point that I do, though I admit I've not had time for it in a while, some board moderation.

You can do your job too well, in my opinion. If some guys want to talk about something that isn't the thread title, as long as it's not an argument or politics or religion, we have sections for that, I let it go.

That's just me, but I've made some friends through message boards in odd ways. Once there was a discussion about 16 x 9" wheels, for an older Porsche, at one time were holy grail, they somewhat still are, during the discussion someone diverted for a bit to something completely different. I saw it as no harm/no foul, and joined the diversion, actually.

In the end one of the guys in the diversion conversation said that he would be happy to continue the discussion offline, at Roy's in Honolulu, he would pay for dinner for anyone who cared to meet him. Six of us did.

And once it became relevant again the topic resumed, without my intervention.

Anyway, delete this if you want, but I feel a concert coming up with Tomas, if any of the players mentioned or the Marcus King Band come up. @tomas Marcus King was the best guitar player at Crossroads, total surprise.

I'm just saying...............live a little. No disrespect intended at all. I'd completely understand deletion.

I'm just saying...............live a little. No disrespect intended at all. I'd completely understand deletion.
Point taken. And there are forums on TMC for the discussion of absolutely everything (except partisan politics) including a forum helpfully titled “Off Topic”.

This thread is for discussing the future Santa Barbara Supercharger. Staying on topic ensures that the thread is useful for people interested in that topic. For those interested in discussing other topics, there are other threads, and members can of course start a thread about whatever it is they wish to discuss.

And now back to our topic...the future Santa Barbara Supercharger. Thank you.:cool:

I work for the City. That's how I know it'll be just north of Big Five. I'll let everyone know when the permit is pulled.
There is a lot more to do at five points, but people who've not been there are not going to like making the left turn out of there to go back to the freeway. La Cumbre I thought should have done it as a way to draw people in, but........there's not much there there anymore,

I agree. It can be tricky at times trying to make a left turn for the 101 North ramp.

The parking lot in La Cumbre Plaza on the Hope Ave. side makes more sense and much easier to get in and out of.

I agree. It can be tricky at times trying to make a left turn for the 101 North ramp.

The parking lot in La Cumbre Plaza on the Hope Ave. side makes more sense and much easier to get in and out of.

Agreed, but apparently there are no plans to put it there. I love the Big 5 location, to be honest I'll love any location. If this was Five Points' idea kudos to them, you can see what is in the entire shopping center from that spot, and it's not used much anyway. It should generate lots of business for them.

Point taken. And there are forums on TMC for the discussion of absolutely everything (except partisan politics) including a forum helpfully titled “Off Topic”.

This thread is for discussing the future Santa Barbara Supercharger. Staying on topic ensures that the thread is useful for people interested in that topic. For those interested in discussing other topics, there are other threads, and members can of course start a thread about whatever it is they wish to discuss.

And now back to our topic...the future Santa Barbara Supercharger. Thank you.:cool:

I gained valuable information about things like this Santa Barbara Supercharger before I bought my car in September. I was going to make a very generous donation to TMC but the moderators are sucking the fun out of these threads. So many posts are not heated but we all get told to cool down. I suggest to stop posting about people posting things that are slightly off topic. Forums aren't linear. And.....here comes the discipline....

Agreed, but apparently there are no plans to put it there. I love the Big 5 location, to be honest I'll love any location. If this was Five Points' idea kudos to them, you can see what is in the entire shopping center from that spot, and it's not used much anyway. It should generate lots of business for them.

La Cumbre Plaza could use more business than Five Points. It seems the Starbucks is the only place getting any business there.

I can't see why Tesla would want to do that, they would be literally across the street from one another. Maybe if it didn't cost them anything somehow:)

I wonder how you quantify, or if anyone has, the economic effects of having a supercharger station in your mall. Can't be a bad thing to be hosting cars with owners who have half an hour to kill and, I'm guessing on the demographic, probably have more disposable income than average.

It would be an interesting thing to look at anywhere, maybe at Five Points. Incentivize people somehow, starting now, to show that they are driving a Tesla, without making everyone else mad. Show your key fob to get 5% off. Maybe tell the truth, or most of it, with your 5% off sign, put an asterisk that says something like green energy/economic development study.

Okay, that's not great, but it's midnight, something to not include nor anger Leaf drivers, let's say, who don't get the 5% off but do have an electric car.

So you then have a data set before chargers, assuming that you have some way of keeping track of how much of your sales went to the 5% off people. Then keep doing it post chargers, for some length of time, and see what your sales difference is with the 5% off customers.

For those not local, La Cumbre is a mall that 40 years ago was dominant in Santa Barbara. It is anchored on one end by a vacant Sears store, the other by a vacant except for the employees Macy's. Kidding, but as with Sears, it will eventually hit the closing store list. I wouldn't be surprised if they had more employees there than customers on some days. In between is an ever rotating cast of businesses that go there to die. If I were betting I'd bet that in 10 years it will be gone, residences in its place.

Directly across the street is the Five Points shopping center, vacancies are fairly rare, it is always crowded and always busy, but there is this parking lot next to Big 5 Sporting Goods that people don't seem to notice, and that's where the superchargers are going to go, assuming they go forward with it.

Why the difference in fortunes between the centers I'm not sure, though it might be a little telling that at La Cumbre they are about to lose another tenant, Tiffany. Raise your hand if you've shopped there.

Could be too that management is just different, it sounds like both places looked at superchargers, one went for it. I'd bet a lot that it will go really well for them, in all respects.

Last edited:
Reactions: toolman335
Yeah I don't think La Cumbre will be a good idea right now. Sears property owners want to redevelop with mainly housing there. The City wants a Specific Plan with at least one more east to west connection - La Cumbre Rd to Hope Ave.

The renderings I saw was at the Hope Avenue side of La Cumbre Plaza.

I can't see why Tesla would want to do that, they would be literally across the street from one another. Maybe if it didn't cost them anything somehow:)

For those not local, La Cumbre is a mall that 40 years ago was dominant in Santa Barbara. It is anchored on one end by a vacant Sears store, the other by a vacant except for the employees Macy's. Kidding, but as with Sears, it will eventually hit the closing store list. I wouldn't be surprised if they had more employees there than customers on some days. In between is an ever rotating cast of businesses that go there to die. If I were betting I'd bet that in 10 years it will be gone, residences in its place.

Directly across the street is the Five Points shopping center, vacancies are fairly rare, it is always crowded and always busy, but there is this parking lot next to Big 5 Sporting Goods that people don't seem to notice, and that's where the superchargers are going to go, assuming they go forward with it.

Why the difference in fortunes between the centers I'm not sure, though it might be a little telling that at La Cumbre they are about to lose another tenant, Tiffany. Raise your hand if you've shopped there.

Could be too that management is just different, it sounds like both places looked at superchargers, one went for it. I'd bet a lot that it will go really well for them, in all respects.

La Cumbre Plaza started going downhill when the management decided that being in close proximity to Hope Ranch meant that there was an unmet need for upscale shopping for an older demographic (hint: there wasn't). Tiffany is the last vestige of that strategy (the Louis Vuitton store was another great example). It also didn't help that Sears/K-Mart imploded at a corporate level, whereas Five Points has Ross, Big 5, Smart & Final as anchor stores. Guess which shopping center/mall gets more foot traffic (and more parking headaches)? That being said, the area where I would've wanted a Supercharger to go, in the small lot next to Panera Bread, would've been ok. There's a Chipotle, The Habit, Starbucks, and a few other dining options nearby. Compared to the location near Big 5, it's probably a wash when it comes to food options.

As an aside, it would be great if the City of SB looked at Pasadena as an example of encouraging EVs by putting DC chargers (*cough* Urban Superchargers *cough*) in one of the downtown parking lots.

I can already see a big traffic jam of Tesla’s waiting to charge at Five Points come this Thanksgiving, Christmas or whenever I5 is shutdown.

La Cumbre Plaza is much more spacious and easier to get in and out of.