Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Clarita, CA (LIVE 6 Apr 2018, 24 V2 + 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still boggles my mind how everyone seems to flock to Tejon. There are so many other options.
I understand the affinity to the location - I used to stop there northbound and southbound when driving ICE. However, when driving a Tesla, I would avoid it until they significantly increase the number of stalls. Expanding on the other side of the freeway would be a good idea. There is empty land between the outlet shops and the Black Bear Diner where Tesla could build a Kettleman-style lounge. There are adequate food choices within walking distance too.

Still boggles my mind how everyone seems to flock to Tejon. There are so many other options.

Ft. Tejon is the only place to charge if one drives SR99. For me or others who live along SR99, the detour to Interstate 5 and its plethora of Superchargers is a good 90 minute or longer detour.

I concede that most people drive Interstate 5 between El Lay and the Bay Area. But I would guess that about 15-20% of the patrons of Ft. Tejon are from Bakersfield, Visalia, Fresno, Merced, or Modesto.

So, until Sta. Clarita opened, there were no other options.

Yeah I get it for 99 travelers, but I actually think your estimate of 15-20% is kind of high for Tesla owners.

Also, I realize it's not a GREAT location in terms of amenities and it is on I-5, but the "Bakersfield" supercharger is nowhere near a 90 minute delay if a 99 traveler wanted to use that instead of wait in line at Tejon.

I stopped here for the first time today, on a road trip. I knew from the map that it was well off I5, but it felt like more of a detour than I expected. I think I’ll avoid this one unless I’m planning to stop for a meal.

Still it’s good to see more sites opening up. Pretty soon we won’t bother to keep track anymore.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
I used this Supercharger for the first time today. It took me 6 minutes to get there from the freeway (I hit two lights) and 4 minutes to get back to the freeway (hit no lights!). Not as “freeway close” as some Superchargers, but I did not find the distance a problem since the car did all the work. ;) And it looks like the site is being expanded with more stalls. See second photo below.

5E26707D-66D1-4886-B415-E69B7ABD61D6.jpeg
6274FD5E-285B-4589-9314-ABFB92F4B9C1.jpeg

I used this Supercharger for the first time today. It took me 6 minutes to get there from the freeway (I hit two lights) and 4 minutes to get back to the freeway (hit no lights!). Not as “freeway close” as some Superchargers, but I did not find the distance a problem since the car did all the work. ;) And it looks like the site is being expanded with more stalls. See second photo below.

View attachment 294510 View attachment 294511
Given that they just built it, I doubt it is being expanded. I'd wager that they haven't finished the landscaping in that area, which is where all the actual superchargers are

The night life here consists of some high schoolers chugging energy drinks in the Taco Bell parking lot and a few coyotes.

I noticed last time I was at the supercharger that the northernmost 7 spots on the western side are all marked for 30 minute general parking. That means 17 (16 regular, 1 handicapped) spots are supposed to be for charging only.

I made my stop at the Santa Clarita superchargers just after 10 pm last Monday night. Do you know that EVERYTHING there is closed by 10 pm? I didn't -- until I walked the whole place looking for a bathroom. My, that pond at the northwest corner looks like it needs more water. Just sayin'.
My wife and I drove here to check it out on Sunday. I had to use the restroom so bad I saw there was a porta potty I guess left from the guys installing the chargers along the far back corner. I used that one..

I just noticed in ecarfan's pic from Sunday's post you can see the porta potty in the middle of the pic.

My wife and I drove here to check it out on Sunday. I had to use the restroom so bad I saw there was a porta potty I guess left from the guys installing the chargers along the far back corner. I used that one..

I just noticed in ecarfan's pic from Sunday's post you can see the porta potty in the middle of the pic.

It was already dark. I hung next to the buildings looking for anything open. No luck. I wish I would have seen the porta potty. Maybe it was gone by Monday.

we were there at 9am Sunday morning - no other cars, although 3 more arrived after us.

There is a huge 'mega-church' the far side of the parking lot, We noticed one couple who arrived, put the car on charge and took off for the church service

Perhaps someone should ask the parson to speak on the Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt not park at a Supercharger Spot after your car has finished charging.