Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Clarita, CA (LIVE 6 Apr 2018, 24 V2 + 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lump

Mar 31, 2013
So. Cal.
23889 Newhall Ranch Rd, Santa Clarita, CA 91354
Google Maps

Credit Blueshift @ supercharge.info
Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 5.26.35 AM.png

The positioning of this one seems odd to me. It doesn't seem convenient to access from the 5 freeway, but it is also in an area that is predominantly single family residences and not dense apartment buildings. So it doesn't seem like a new "urban charge location".

The positioning of this one seems odd to me. It doesn't seem convenient to access from the 5 freeway, but it is also in an area that is predominantly single family residences and not dense apartment buildings. So it doesn't seem like a new "urban charge location".

To me this looks like a great location for stopping in on a road trip.

There is a park and a trail right there to stretch your legs along with a drug store and some food options just across the street. Perfect for a quick mid day stop away from the hustle and bustle.

would be nice if it was a wee bit closer to the freeway, but that just isn't going to happen everywhere.

Agree, it's 5-10 minute drive from freeway.

Better location would have been off of Lyons Ave, there are 5 hotels for travelers along with an In-&-Out Burger & other restaurants
Google Maps

According to Google Maps that location is 3.5 miles off the freeway and would be about a 7 minute drive. Not terribly onerous a drive in your Tesla.

Telsa does not have the luxury of always being able to locate Superchargers immediately adjacent to long distance travel routes. I'm happy to see this new Supercharger location, it's going to be very useful.

Will be a nice addition (despite a few minutes off the freeway) for folks doing the trip up north from South of LA. Personally, I can skip Burbank and then head right to Kettleman City...looking forward to a new experience California road trip in a few months.
Thanks Tesla.
Google maps shows a Leaf charging using the CHAdeMO charger in the lot...cool

Ha! It's locations like this that make me think Tesla was following me around when I drove my Model S. I needed to go to the bank immediately one day when I was around there flying up I-5 and realized I was about to hit some financial deadline (I can't remember what it was, maybe pay a bill or reserve a hotel), and that's where I did it, just randomly, at that particular Wells Fargo. It's just as other posters described: about a 7-10 minute drive off of I-5. But, there are some things positive about that area that I like: there is some humble shopping around there, so there is something to do when parked. Also, the area seems sleepy, unlike downtown LA, so it has a sort of peacefulness to it. As things go, I really like this area. I could be wrong, but my impression of it is a stable decent class and decent safety area (unlike some other areas in Santa Clarita that are off of I-5 near hotels where everyone looks like a dirty drug addict and criminal). Also note the nearby EVGO; it's already a charging destination for competitors, and maybe for Chademo users.

In satellite maps, as you zoom out, there is mixed land use: commercial, light industrial, residential, amusement park, Interstate freeway, etc.. It seems like a good mix of users to me. It's not just homes which could all install their own HPWC; there's a healthy mix of a large number of types of users. I agree that it is not apartment dense, but I don't see that as a mandate. Any of those homeowners could need a quick topup to go long distance after just getting home from commute even though they have a home HPWC.

Last edited:
Will be watching this for traveling between Palmdale and Los Angeles/Orange County sites. This will allow us to bypass Burbank if needed. Also noticed that Tesla Supercharger map now shows a SC pending for end of 2018 in Palmdale on E. Palmdale Blvd, just East of Sierra Hwy, about 5 blocks away from 14fwy. I have not yet seen any permit information for Palmdale. Looks like N. LA County is now getting attention from Tesla. We purchased our MX 100D at the perfect time.

E. Palmdale Blvd, just East of Sierra Hwy

I hope that is NOT even close to the actual location. That is a very rough area of Palmdale.

The city has free chargers at the civic buildings right at that corner and I would only use those in full daylight with someone else with me. And only in an emergency.

I would rather see one in the Kohls/walmart/Sam's area off of 10th. Big parking lots for space, easy on/off and with some food nearby.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo and LJ32
Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 1.03.06 PM.png

I received this tip from an architect friend that was at building and safety when the permit was pulled. I shared it with Supercharge.info last week. I can't believe the tread is so active already!
I work in SCV so I'll grab some snap shots as soon as it gets started. The church that own the lot has 3rd party EV charging currently. Great coffee shop near by. "Underground Coffee". Marston's and California Pizza Kitchen also in the same plaza.

Newhall Ranch road is often referred to as the "cross town connector" it connects I-5 with the 14 Freeway. It's 6 lanes wide with some lights. Getting to it from the I-5 is a breeze, coming from the 14 will take longer.

Last edited:
The positioning of this one seems odd to me.
The two CCS and CHAdeMO stalls in that lot get a fair amount of usage. I figured that the church pulled in EVgo to install them there. I'm surprised to see a Supercharger site not immediately off the 5. Maybe the church somehow did the same with Tesla and encouraged them to pick the same location? (This is pure speculation on my part.)

• Informative
Reactions: pkodali
View attachment 251185 Map of restaurants in the same parking lot.

I'm STOKED! My mother-in-law's house is visible at the top of that picture overlooking Marston's! We regularly stay the night at her house. When we leave LA for a long weekend, we often drive to her place after work on Thursday or Friday and then leave in the morning. Now it will be trivial to top off the battery before leaving! I'll never stop at Tejon again!

Btw, Village Produce, in that shopping area, is fantastic! Forget about the CPK or whatever, hit the deli counter at Village Produce!

I'm STOKED! My mother-in-law's house is visible at the top of that picture overlooking Marston's! We regularly stay the night at her house. When we leave LA for a long weekend, we often drive to her place after work on Thursday or Friday and then leave in the morning. Now it will be trivial to top off the battery before leaving! I'll never stop at Tejon again!

Btw, Village Produce, in that shopping area, is fantastic! Forget about the CPK or whatever, hit the deli counter at Village Produce!

Wouldn’t it be easier to charge up at her house overnight?