Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Clarita, CA (LIVE 6 Apr 2018, 24 V2 + 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I've lived in s. Cal so long, I honestly don't know how else you would refer to the freeways? How do other people refer to them? Take 80 north to 15? Sounds odd...
It's not the absence of "The" that is colloquial, it is the addition of "The". "The 405" , "The 10" is the way we speak. This usage came from the freeways being most commonly referred to as names, as was always the case when I was a child. "The San Diego Freeway" was never known as the 5 or 405 until much later. What is odd to native Californians is the the use of "I" for Interstate. We say "Take THE 80 north to THE 5". We don't really say "Take the I-80..."

How do other people refer to them?

The article gives an example:
After all, a resident of the Bay Area enjoys coastal drives along "101" or takes "80 east" to Sacramento.

I've heard my family in Washington refer to the 5 as I-5...which makes me wonder if they call out routes too. Like how Waze refers to things like "state route 170 south"...seems overly verbose.

It's not the absence of "The" that is colloquial, it is the addition of "The". "The 405" , "The 10" is the way we speak. This usage came from the freeways being most commonly referred to as names, as was always the case when I was a child. "The San Diego Freeway" was never known as the 5 or 405 until much later. What is odd to native Californians is the the use of "I" for Interstate. We say "Take THE 80 north to THE 5". We don't really say "Take the I-80..."
I don't think anyone says both "the" and "I-." My understanding is that in SoCal, you would say "drive north on the 5" while everyone else would say "drive north on I-5," or if you wanted to be more formal, "drive north on Interstate 5." The reason for my original cringe was that the guy said "the I-5" which sounded weird by any standard. Had he just said "the 5," I would have ignored it as it is typical SoCal speak. I could be wrong though. Maybe people in SoCal really do refer to it as "the I-5" sometimes. I just don't recall hearing it that way on my many trips to the area.

The article gives an example:
After all, a resident of the Bay Area enjoys coastal drives along "101" or takes "80 east" to Sacramento.

I've heard my family in Washington refer to the 5 as I-5...which makes me wonder if they call out routes too. Like how Waze refers to things like "state route 170 south"...seems overly verbose.
People do say "SR 520" or "state route 520" if they are being more formal, but usually just 520 if they are talking to a Seattle area audience, because everyone would know what that means.

Up here in Northern California, we cringe with these "named freeways"... we like our numbers in many ways!

Gee, Owner!

I learned your Bay Area Freeways as the Nimitz and the Bayshore. :)

And, I too cringe at the reference to the Southern California freeways with "the." I liked the naming of the freeways--I guess it gave a more personal take on them. But I can see how some geograpically-impaired people would get confused if they were directed to take the Ventura Freeway to Burbank, or the Santa Ana Freeway to Los Angeles.

I think using "the 5" more or less coincided with referring to California as "Cali," which also makes me wince.

• Funny
Reactions: Owner
Gee, Owner!

I learned your Bay Area Freeways as the Nimitz and the Bayshore. :)

And, I too cringe at the reference to the Southern California freeways with "the." I liked the naming of the freeways--I guess it gave a more personal take on them. But I can see how some geograpically-impaired people would get confused if they were directed to take the Ventura Freeway to Burbank, or the Santa Ana Freeway to Los Angeles.

I think using "the 5" more or less coincided with referring to California as "Cali," which also makes me wince.
It's not so much for geographically impaired people, it's to make it easier for all people to navigate a city, even if they don't live there.

Maybe people in SoCal really do refer to it as "the I-5" sometimes. I just don't recall hearing it that way on my many trips to the area.

Native SoCalonian here. No one would say "the I-5" in real life, but I hear traffic reporters on the radio saying it. Traffic reporters straddle a line between formal and informal speech. They want to sound friendly and familiar, but have to maintain a precision. So maybe you call it "TV speak", "Media speak", or "Journalism speak", but it's certainly not native Angelenos.

Anyways, yeah for supercharger in Valencia!

I stopped at these EVgo CCS chargers on the way up to Oregon, and on the way back from Oregon in our Bolt EV. It is a bit of a walk to the good restaurants, but a short walk to the Walgreens. We felt very safe here. This will be a great spot to stop on the way up there in our Tesla, with our next stop at the new 40 stall supercharger in Kettleman City. After making the trip using CCS it should be a breeze with superchargers.

Not sure what exactly is going on. It's taking forever and it looks like something didn't go as planned.

It was returned to the applicant, and has a date of 11/22/2017 with the following comments:

"Plan Review Resubmittal Required".

I guess we won't have a Supercharger in Santa Clarita this year...

I live across the street. Yeay!? The newish section of the parking lot (where EVGo is) is not owned by Real Life Church. It’s owned by Bridgeport Marketplace and sort of donated that undeveloped area to the city. RLC outgrew their parking space and proposed that they develop it and make a little more than half of the area as parking space and the other half a park.

Here’s the story about it.
Valencia park, parking project takes step forward

I expect the parking around the superchargers to be packed during church service (weekend). Traffic will be affected during the start and end of “service” and probably special occasions too.

I live across the street. Yeay!? The newish section of the parking lot (where EVGo is) is not owned by Real Life Church. It’s owned by Bridgeport Marketplace and sort of donated that undeveloped area to the city. RLC outgrew their parking space and proposed that they develop it and make a little more than half of the area as parking space and the other half a park.

Here’s the story about it.
Valencia park, parking project takes step forward

I expect the parking around the superchargers to be packed during church service (weekend). Traffic will be affected during the start and end of “service” and probably special occasions too.

Thanks for the info! Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla chose another location for the Superchargers. Their Plan was sent back to Tesla anyways with the comments "Plan Review Resubmit Required". This may be a conspiracy theory but I wouldn't be surprised if this has something to do with the Church not wanting Superchargers there.

I wouldn't be surprised if this has something to do with the Church not wanting Superchargers there.

RLC is very influential and that is a certainly a possibility. There is also a chance that they might do it where the old Oak tree used to be. The one beside the ATM. This oak tree fell down sometime 2013. If you scale the parking spots beside it. You can easily fit 24.

Here’s the story on the tree

Attachments

• 7C05F1DB-4C1A-445A-A56E-3F93A0207A03.jpeg
    7C05F1DB-4C1A-445A-A56E-3F93A0207A03.jpeg
    491.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Helpful
Reactions: Parris
I Live across the street from the Bridgeport Marketplace also. It is a great area for Tesla Superchargers. Yes it is primarily in residential neighborhood. It is located between the 5 and the 14 freeways on Newhall Ranch Road. From the 5 freeway you can exit at Newhall Ranch Road and drive to the chargers in about 5 to 6 minutes. From the 14 Freeway you can exit on Golden Valley. Golden Valley then turns into Newhall Ranch Road. Speed limits on Newhall Ranch Road and Golden Valley is 45 to 50 miles per hour so traffic moves pretty well. I Bridgeport Marketplace 3 times a week. The area where existing non Tesla chargers are is never full. Sunday mornings and some holidays the church parking lit is full. The church does not own the lot where the chargers will be. Looking forward to the Tesla Supercharger install.

As someone who was born in the Bay Area, grew up in Southern California, and has now lived in the Bay Area for almost 20 years, I say...it doesn't matter and let's get back to talking about the upcoming Santa Clarita Supercharger, okay? :rolleyes:

Opposite situation - born in SoCal and always said "The 101", "The 405," etc. growing up. But I have lived in the Bay Area for 20 years now and I quickly learned that a vast majority of people here seem to really hate hearing "the". In any event, I am now ambidexterous - I can switch between using/not using "the" fluidly. Here in the Bay Area, I drop the "the". When I visit to SoCal (which I do often), I easily slip in the "the". Not a big deal. We should all just get along :). Agreed with @ecarfan - hopefully more discussion about this supercharger will overtake the debate about whether people say "the 405" or "I-405" :)