Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Clarita, CA (LIVE 6 Apr 2018, 24 V2 + 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 251177
I received this tip from an architect friend that was at building and safety when the permit was pulled. I shared it with Supercharge.info last week. I can't believe the tread is so active already!
I work in SCV so I'll grab some snap shots as soon as it gets started. The church that own the lot has 3rd party EV charging currently. Great coffee shop near by. "Underground Coffee". Marston's and California Pizza Kitchen also in the same plaza.

Newhall Ranch road is often referred to as the "cross town connector" it connects I-5 with the 14 Freeway. It's 6 lanes wide with some lights. Getting to it from the I-5 is a breeze, coming from the 14 will take longer.
Thank you Carl for the additional information on the local tastes. Looking forward to seeing photos.

I hope that is NOT even close to the actual location. That is a very rough area of Palmdale.

The city has free chargers at the civic buildings right at that corner and I would only use those in full daylight with someone else with me. And only in an emergency.

I would rather see one in the Kohls/walmart/Sam's area off of 10th. Big parking lots for space, easy on/off and with some food nearby.

wow! that's fascinating and scary to me.
About 20 years ago I had a close friend who lived in that area, can't remember exactly where.
But it was quite and not even remotely scary any time of day.

Wouldn’t it be easier to charge up at her house overnight?

I can only trickle charge at her house. I only get about 30 miles.

The usual scenario is that I've driven to work, driven home, and then to Valencia. That's about 100 miles.

I keep threatening to install a 14-50 in her garage one day.

EDIT: Earlier I said Village Produce. It's actually called Valley Produce. Fantastic market.

I can only trickle charge at her house. I only get about 30 miles.

The usual scenario is that I've driven to work, driven home, and then to Valencia. That's about 100 miles.

I keep threatening to install a 14-50 in her garage one day.

EDIT: Earlier I said Village Produce. It's actually called Valley Produce. Fantastic market.

Yeah, in situations like this (10 hours of charging, only household outlets), I've been known to do either of two things. I built myself a "Quick 220" device (with relays, for shock prevention) to allow me to charge from two household sockets that are on different phases. That might just get 100 miles in 10 hours. Or, I always carry around with me my own 50A breaker that I can plop into a breaker panel, attached to a length of 50A SOOW cable ending in a NEMA 14-50 receptacle. Voila, instant and temporary 14-50. Of course, you do have to remove the panel face, and leave it off while charging, so don't do this with any small children around. But then again, I'm kinda extreme :)

• Love
Reactions: Dave EV and Acps110
Yeah, in situations like this (10 hours of charging, only household outlets), I've been known to do either of two things. I built myself a "Quick 220" device (with relays, for shock prevention) to allow me to charge from two household sockets that are on different phases. That might just get 100 miles in 10 hours. Or, I always carry around with me my own 50A breaker that I can plop into a breaker panel, attached to a length of 50A SOOW cable ending in a NEMA 14-50 receptacle. Voila, instant and temporary 14-50. Of course, you do have to remove the panel face, and leave it off while charging, so don't do this with any small children around. But then again, I'm kinda extreme :)
Impressive! I have some skills, but would never attempt this myself.
I frequent Newport Beach and have no access to charging there, except for the 110 outlet, and all close receptacles are on the same circuit. So, I am left with charging at 3 MPH. Once I am there, I try to drive very little over 24-48 hours, so I end of leaving with a full charge. I wish I could charge at FV for just 10 minutes to alleviate the work, but alas, too busy there, and I refuse to contribute to the issues they already have.

Would love to be a fly on the wall for this conversation...

Guest: Thanks for inviting me to stay at your place. This is gonna be awesome!

Host: Great! We look forward to seeing you.

Guest: Oh by the way, I drive this super cool electric car! I'm just gonna need access to your breaker panel to install a 50 amp breaker so I can plug it in and get a full charge while I stay at your place!

I hope that is NOT even close to the actual location. That is a very rough area of Palmdale.

The city has free chargers at the civic buildings right at that corner and I would only use those in full daylight with someone else with me. And only in an emergency.

I would rather see one in the Kohls/walmart/Sam's area off of 10th. Big parking lots for space, easy on/off and with some food nearby.
I agree 100%, we never go east of 14fwy. If the idea is to serve 138 E/W traffic as well as 14 N/S traffic, I understand why Palmdale Blvd but I would rather see it located west of the 14fwy at the AV Mall or as you suggested, 10th Street West shopping. This gives freeway travelers a SC option before Burbank/Santa Clarita going south and Mojave going north in a much safer area with more options (but only during business hours). Since we live in W. Palmdale, we would probably never use this SC since 95% of our annual electric is already being provided by solar panels.

wow! that's fascinating and scary to me.
About 20 years ago I had a close friend who lived in that area, can't remember exactly where.
But it was quite and not even remotely scary any time of day.

I agree 100%, we never go east of 14fwy

I play in the community orchestra and so am at the Playhouse a couple blocks away from Sierra Hwy weekly after dark as well as on Saturdays. The park behind the Playhouse regularly has all sorts of unsavory characters in it. One night last season we all came out of rehersal to cop cars galore after a drug deal gone bad ended in a shooting.

• Informative
Reactions: Owner
Impressive! I have some skills, but would never attempt this myself.
I frequent Newport Beach and have no access to charging there, except for the 110 outlet, and all close receptacles are on the same circuit. So, I am left with charging at 3 MPH. Once I am there, I try to drive very little over 24-48 hours, so I end of leaving with a full charge. I wish I could charge at FV for just 10 minutes to alleviate the work, but alas, too busy there, and I refuse to contribute to the issues they already have.

Are any of the 120v outlets protected by a 20A breaker? If so, you could be charging at 16A instead of 12A. It’s actually about 42% faster charging since the car computers use a constant amount of power while charging.

I will check the next time I am down there.

To charge at 16A, you'll need a Tesla NEMA 5-20 adapter. If the receptacle is actually a NEMA 5-20 (has a horizontal notch on the left vertical blade), then that's all you need. If the receptacle is a regular 15A NEMA 5-15, but still protected by a 20A breaker (which often happens, electricians are sometimes too lazy/cheap to use 20A receptacles), then you can still charge at 16A, but you'd need to use this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00439KIF6/ref=oh_details_o04_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you @Cosmacelf !! I will do my homework, and believe I already have a 5-20 adapter already that I got for a previous road trip.

Now, back to Santa Clarita. This is another one I will likely/hopefully never need, but I am thrilled to see it planned for the community as a whole. As I posted in another thread, I would have been much happier to see it a few miles further south, closer to the 5/14 interchange. That would have better served both routes.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: RubberToe
Would love to be a fly on the wall for this conversation...

Guest: Thanks for inviting me to stay at your place. This is gonna be awesome!

Host: Great! We look forward to seeing you.

Guest: Oh by the way, I drive this super cool electric car! I'm just gonna need access to your breaker panel to install a 50 amp breaker so I can plug it in and get a full charge while I stay at your place!
I had to wait 2 extra months for a followup date after a date once when I did that. I decided never to do that again. Needless to say, I'm awesome at gauging charging needs now.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Cosmacelf
This is great news! Super close to my house, yay!

For those that don't know much about this location, it's about 5 minutes from I5 but if you decide to take SR14 you can exit at newhall ranch road hit the city streets and just follow railroad up to newhall ranch road. Once you cross the bridge it's only about a 3 minute drive. I think the location is great. Yes, you need to exit the I5 if you want to stop here but it's in a nice neighborhood with close access to almost anything.

Now my Noveber delivery can't come soon enough :)