Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Cruz, CA - Soquel Avenue (LIVE 16 Jul 2020, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If in Aptos, the two shopping areas would be those off "State Park Drive" and "Rio Del Mar Blvd". Either would be nice; the one by Rio Del Mar Blvd seems nicer. I don't like the Cabrillo College idea because there's no parking available during school days and there's nothing to do there.

BTW, I was thinking about the shopping plaza with the Chinese restaurant on the freeway side of things, where there's food, and potentially some empty land nearby to add parking spaces for it. Although the two shopping plazas you mention would be good locations in terms of services, I can't imagine being able to convince either of them to agree to lose twelve parking places; every time I've ever been to either of those plazas, I've had to spend several minutes waiting for a spot to park. :(

The alternative, of course, would be putting it out near the mall/Target, where there might be enough parking, and spending an extra ten minutes driving the three blocks from the highway to the supercharger.

There really aren't any great locations that I can think of in greater Aptos/Soquel/Capitola, IMO. It's just too dense, with too little parking. That's why I suggested Scotts Valley, which is significantly less busy.

A supercharger was just installed in Watsonville (near Santa Cruz), though it's not open for business just yet. It's in this other thread:
Supercharger - Watsonville, CA (Under construction, 10 May 2019, 14 Urban stalls)

Unfortunately, Watsonville is "near" Santa Cruz in approximately the same way as San Francisco is "near" San Jose. Watsonville is up to one hour and 20 minutes in traffic from downtown Santa Cruz, and it tends to be towards the upper half of that range more days than not.

By contrast, the (unfortunately urban) supercharger in Los Gatos is only 20–40 minutes away, and tends to be towards the lower end of that range more days than not. Sure, you lose some range because of the altitude going over the mountains, but a Watsonville supercharger is basically only useful for people in the Monterey-Watsonville-Salinas area. It's useless for Santa Cruz, because CA-1 is just too horrible too often.

Besides, the bulk of people who can afford Teslas in Santa Cruz commute to the South Bay, not towards Monterey. I really don't know what they were thinking when they put a supercharger in Watsonville before putting one in Santa Cruz. (I mean, if it were at least a full supercharger, I might stop there once in a while, but in practice, I'm pretty sure I'll always just go on to the real supercharger in Salinas or Gilroy.)

I did not intend to suggest it’s a substitution for Santa Cruz. It’s just that geographically it’s close, which makes it relevant to this thread. It could be a sign that a Santa Cruz charger will be coming “soon.”

It was coming by the end of 2017 in 2017, then by the end of 2018 in 2018. Now it's coming by the end of 2019. I'm not holding my breath. And even if they do, at this point, I would expect it to be a worthless urban supercharger like the one in Watsonville. :(

• Disagree
Reactions: Chuq
It was coming by the end of 2017 in 2017, then by the end of 2018 in 2018. Now it's coming by the end of 2019. I'm not holding my breath. And even if they do, at this point, I would expect it to be a worthless urban supercharger like the one in Watsonville. :(
Worthless urban supercharger?

People in North Dakota would take a few of those!

The sense of entitlement is truly stunning.

Reactions: Chuq
Worthless urban supercharger?

People in North Dakota would take a few of those!

The sense of entitlement is truly stunning.

For someone who has no food, a carton full of Twinkies is a godsend. That doesn't mean that eating them for every meal won't kill you pretty quickly, nor that anybody who had a choice between a box full of Twinkies or a couple of small cheeseburgers would choose the box of Twinkies, despite it ostensibly being more food.

The purpose of urban superchargers is to make the charging network more generally useful by getting locals to charge there instead of at the V2 superchargers. The problem is, it isn't working very well at all in the Bay Area, from what I've seen. Every time I look at the supercharger map, the urban superchargers at Santana Row are mostly empty, and the normal V2 superchargers just a couple of miles away in Cupertino are ~100% full, as are the superchargers just a couple of miles from there in Sunnyvale. What this means is that, with the possible exception of a few hours in the evening, nobody is using these things.

An urban supercharger in Santa Cruz would be even more useless for most Tesla owners, because approximately 100% of people who live in Santa Cruz who own or can afford to own Teslas work in the Silicon Valley. That means approximately 100% of them work within a ten-minute drive of a real supercharger. And it also means that approximately 100% of them have a commute that is anywhere from 1–2 hours each way.

Because Santa Cruz is separated from the Bay Area by mountains, a round trip from Santa Cruz to, for example, Google, requires a whopping 110 miles of range. A round trip to Apple is only shorter by about 4–10 miles, depending on route and on whether you're in Apple Park or in and around the IL campus. And Facebook is farther by probably about 10 miles. (About half of all South Bay tech jobs are at one of those three companies, so that's a really good approximation of a typical commute.)

To keep a sane cushion, you don't want to go below about 140–150 miles, or ~50% SOC. This makes that market very different from the South Bay. Santa Cruz Tesla drivers can't just charge once a week when they go out shopping. Rather, they typically need to supercharge their car either to 90% three times per week or to 50% five or six times per week.

So if you live in Santa Cruz and work in the Valley, your options are:
  • Charge to 90% 3x per week at an urban supercharger near your house (3 hours, 45 minutes total)
  • Charge to 50% 5x per week at an urban supercharger near your house (3 hours, 45 minutes total)
  • Charge to 90% 3x per week at a real supercharger near work (3 hours total)
  • Charge to 50% 5x per week at a real supercharger near work (2 hours, 30 minutes total)
Needless to say, I would not expect anyone to choose to spend half again longer just to charge closer to home. With that in mind, the only reason for putting an urban supercharger in Santa Cruz would be to have an emergency solution for Silicon Valley tourists who go down for the weekend, drive more than they planned, and run their batteries down. And they could serve that need just as easily with a CCS-to-Tesla adapter chained to the side of a few of the existing DC fast chargers in the area, for a lot less money. An urban supercharger certainly won't serve the needs of the locals very well at all, so they'll continue to charge over the hill at real superchargers if they can't charge at home.

With that in mind, if you're Tesla and you have a given number of dollars to spend on superchargers, do you put in one V2 supercharger that people will actually use or two urban chargers that people will ignore in favor of the real thing? If you're sane, you do the former. So I would argue that, at least in that region, an urban supercharger would be nearly worthless.

In fact, the Mountain View, Sunnyvale, and Cupertino superchargers all desperately need to be upgraded to V3 superchargers because they're so hopelessly short on capacity. When they do that, they'll have a giant pile of V2 supercharger equipment left over. Why not use that to add some limited V2 capacity in Los Gatos and Watsonville and to build out a full V2 supercharger in Santa Cruz?

Last edited:
I don't work for one of the 3 big tech companies mentioned above, but I was under the impression that they have a lot of free workplace charging stations. I would only expect people who live in the Santa Cruz area to use Superchargers regularly if they don't have workplace charging and don't have the ability to install home charging.

Reactions: RidingClean
So if you live in Santa Cruz and work in the Valley, your options are:
  • Charge to 90% 3x per week at an urban supercharger near your house (3 hours, 45 minutes total)
  • Charge to 50% 5x per week at an urban supercharger near your house (3 hours, 45 minutes total)
  • Charge to 90% 3x per week at a real supercharger near work (3 hours total)
  • Charge to 50% 5x per week at a real supercharger near work (2 hours, 30 minutes total)
Your numbers aren't that useful for 2 reasons. Firstly, they assume that the only charging being done is at a supercharger, which is unlikely for the population in question. They will also have access to home, work, and/or other public charging (L2) options. Secondly, because they don't account for getting the short end of the stick when forced to plug in second on a paired supercharger, which is something that will routinely happen when charging at busy superchargers on the way to or home from work or during lunch hours (i.e. when everyone else is trying to do the exact same thing).

I don't work for one of the 3 big tech companies mentioned above, but I was under the impression that they have a lot of free workplace charging stations.

If by "free", you mean no-cost, then you are correct. If by "free" you mean "available to use consistently," you would be wrong. Bear in mind that one round trip to Santa Cruz would require tying up a L2 charger (at ~14 miles per hour) for literally the entire day and then some.

L2 charging is nearly useless for people making that trip unless your employer has one charging stall per car that needs charging.

We actually had a thread at work where I did the math for folks with long-range commutes, and by my math, because the workplace charging is likely to happen at the bottom of the battery, it replaces the fastest part of your supercharging, which means that if it takes you ten minutes to walk down to the garage to plug in your car in the middle of the day, you have to charge for something like five or six hours before you make up that ten minutes at the end of the day in supercharger savings.

Basically, workplace L2 charging only works for locals, not long-range commuters. For long-range commuters, if you don't have a dedicated L2 charger that is yours and yours alone, you'll end up supercharging constantly.

Secondly, because they don't account for getting the short end of the stick when forced to plug in second on a paired supercharger, which is something that will routinely happen when charging at busy superchargers on the way to or home from work or during lunch hours (i.e. when everyone else is trying to do the exact same thing).

And this is why I've said many times (maybe even in this thread?) that the superchargers in question desperately need to be upgraded to V3, an upgrade that will make those 72kW chargers even less attractive by comparison. Instead of usually being a bit slower, they'll always be a lot slower.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
IMO, they'd be better off building one in Scotts Valley on either side of Mount Hermon Rd. near Nob Hill Foods, where there's ample parking, plus well over a dozen restaurants within easy walking distance (Starbucks, Peet's, Jamba Juice, Erik's DeliCafe, Thai Heart, Bruno's BBQ, Tony & Alba's Pizza, Taco Bell, Burger King, Subway, Otoro Sushi, Round Table Pizza, Kaosook Thai Cuisine, and several others slightly farther out). It's a better location in every possible way.

But they didn't ask me. :)

They may, however, have read this thread. :)

Supercharger? - Scotts Valley, CA (possibly under construction, no Tesla equipment onsite)

Last edited:
This evening at the Whole Foods Market in Santa Cruz, 911 Soquel Ave.

Permit is for EV chargers but does not mention Tesla. eTRAKiT

I asked inside and they said the construction is for "Tesla Chargers."

It definitely looks like Superchargers to me.

IMG_5641.jpg

IMG_5640.jpg

IMG_5642.jpg

Permit B19-0535 says
New parking stripping, signage, ada access features. Create 6 parking stalls. Install concrete equipment pads. New light poles, fixtures, and equipment enclosure.

Do L3 charging brands other than superchargers have enclosures? Sometimes people can confuse Tesla superchargers and generic EV chargers, but this seems pretty likely to be superchargers. There should be evidence at the site soon one way or the other.

EVgo has a charger there. Not a bad location (a little busy and distant from freeway), but several V3's there would help Santa Cruz.

For travelers or weekenders, would like to see a small Davenport location (on way up coast) and Moss Landing (although if you park next to a power plant, I hear you don't need a charger).

• Funny
Reactions: Russell
From what I’ve seen, V3 chargers use a cabinet that supports four chargers per cabinet. So, V3 installations would tend to be in multiples of four, I would think. Could be this is 4 X V3 + 2 X Level 2? Just speculating.

I don't believe Tesla is rolling out V2 any more. Could be wrong but I think it's either V3 or urban chargers now.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and israndy
I don't believe Tesla is rolling out V2 any more. Could be wrong but I think it's either V3 or urban chargers now.
There are still some old sites that are moving through the planning approvals stage slower than molasses in sub-zero temperature which will end up with traditional V2 stalls just because Tesla doesn't want to start all over again with an updated site plan. But those are few and far between now.

Reactions: Ulmo