Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Cruz, CA - Soquel Avenue (LIVE 16 Jul 2020, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the consensus here is that there will be 16 pedestals, great news (my daughter lives in Santa Cruz and this will be so much more convenient for visits)! Supercharge.info has this as an 8-stall site, does anyone know how that information can be corrected?
Someone will have to take the initiative and post a message here saying there are a different number of chargers. Then wait for it to be noticed

This evening. Groundwork has been completed. No wires yet pulled to the stalls.
IMG_5733.jpg
IMG_5734.jpg

Attachments

• 9B1E3E81-5DAC-4FCC-86D0-06FDA5D029BC.jpeg
    9B1E3E81-5DAC-4FCC-86D0-06FDA5D029BC.jpeg
    533.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 1AB23C20-5181-4BF7-99C2-AAD2F64845FE.jpeg
    1AB23C20-5181-4BF7-99C2-AAD2F64845FE.jpeg
    437.6 KB · Views: 111
  • D4E3A532-0BB3-4D08-BF8C-131834CDD388.jpeg
    D4E3A532-0BB3-4D08-BF8C-131834CDD388.jpeg
    475.7 KB · Views: 100
This site is one of three under-construction Northern California Superchargers that seem to have recently shown up on the in car Nav display with the notation “temporary closure”. (The other two are El Cerrito and Modesto.)

This might be a sign of progress towards opening, although having Superchargers show up on the Nav and mobile app prior to opening is a fairly new development in my experience. For Oakland (Hegenberger Rd) it was a few weeks from this point to having cars actually charging there.

Bruce.

This site is one of three under-construction Northern California Superchargers that seem to have recently shown up on the in car Nav display with the notation “temporary closure”. (The other two are El Cerrito and Modesto.)

This might be a sign of progress towards opening, although having Superchargers show up on the Nav and mobile app prior to opening is a fairly new development in my experience. For Oakland (Hegenberger Rd) it was a few weeks from this point to having cars actually charging there.

Bruce.
It can also be used as a good guide for the reference as finalized naming convention.

• Helpful
Reactions: Chuq, Ulmo and bmah
30 years from now some kid will ask "why did they put the superchargers here, mommy?", and they'll never know it was because at the time I liked going to Whole Foods and they had an EVGO there I could use with my Chademo adapter, so I spiked the where-do-Teslas-go statistics for their charger siting location algorithms. The same thing happened at half a dozen other sites. I hope I was at least a bit representative of how people will want to use them.

Hopefully that will be a relatively safe place for area visitors to charge their car at V3 speeds while grabbing some food from Whole Foods. Another idea is drop a passenger off at Crepe Place to order, then pick them up when the take out is done. Also, Crepe Place has dine-in, now, so the dropped off passenger could get a seat, order, and then when you come park, you just sit down and eat.

Locals could use it for tight days when they have back-to-back appointments all over the region and just need a quick juice up. A convenient Whole Foods makes that a good use of that parking space. Going over Highway 17 will drain a Tesla at a rate faster than the "EPA" miles per Joule rating, and heating for Santa Cruz county and cooling for Silicon Valley will both take their toll all on the same day, so this jolt could often help.

It's not on any freeway, but it is on a major crossroads and very near to another major crossroads that does include the street portion of Highway 17. Most those roads used to be 2 lanes in each direction, but Santa Cruz has been infected with road diet, so now there's stop lights, swerves, and crap all over the place in the way of driving, and a lot of it has been converted to only one lane at most in each direction. Cutting through neighborhoods is often far faster.

30 years from now some kid will ask "why did they put the superchargers here, mommy?", and they'll never know it was because at the time I liked going to Whole Foods and they had an EVGO there I could use with my Chademo adapter, so I spiked the where-do-Teslas-go statistics for their charger siting location algorithms. The same thing happened at half a dozen other sites. I hope I was at least a bit representative of how people will want to use them.

Hopefully that will be a relatively safe place for area visitors to charge their car at V3 speeds while grabbing some food from Whole Foods. Another idea is drop a passenger off at Crepe Place to order, then pick them up when the take out is done. Also, Crepe Place has dine-in, now, so the dropped off passenger could get a seat, order, and then when you come park, you just sit down and eat.

Locals could use it for tight days when they have back-to-back appointments all over the region and just need a quick juice up. A convenient Whole Foods makes that a good use of that parking space. Going over Highway 17 will drain a Tesla at a rate faster than the "EPA" miles per Joule rating, and heating for Santa Cruz county and cooling for Silicon Valley will both take their toll all on the same day, so this jolt could often help.

It's not on any freeway, but it is on a major crossroads and very near to another major crossroads that does include the street portion of Highway 17. Most those roads used to be 2 lanes in each direction, but Santa Cruz has been infected with road diet, so now there's stop lights, swerves, and crap all over the place in the way of driving, and a lot of it has been converted to only one lane at most in each direction. Cutting through neighborhoods is often far faster.

I see the days coming that parking lots are color tagged and behave as wireless chargers for cars.

In desperation, Scott’s Valley V3’s are only ten minutes away.
And I love that they put them exactly where I suggested (in a discussion thread on this forum) would be the ideal spot for a Santa Cruz area supercharger. Probably a coincidence, but still cool.
Both SuperChargers have roughly similar kinds of food grocery stores nearby, and both are sort of a few major roads off of the freeway. They are almost, but not quite, interchangeable. Both neighborhoods will change with time, with both pushing to install huge no-yard mass-density apartment complexes and invite people from everywhere to move into them. Depending on who's apartment manager, you could have great or other neighbors.