Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Cruz, CA - Soquel Avenue (LIVE 16 Jul 2020, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like we will be seeing a Supercharger in downtown Santa Cruz by years end. It looks like it will be near Chestnut and Church street. I have not seen any construction. Placeholder thread for future updates.

Interesting! That would be a good location. City parking lot with a solar canopy. Quick walk downtown.

Do you have a source/ permit or is this speculation? (Note that the pins on tesla map just show the city not the actual location)

Chestnut and Church Street is where the pin points to, but the pins just point to the label of the city on the map and the supercharger could be anywhere in the city or even a neighboring city. You can search for permits in the city of Santa Cruz here. You can search by permit number - they are up to electrical permits beginning with E17-030. I haven't found anything yet.

Does anyone know anything more about this? I'm interested in it because my daughter lives in SC and it'd be good to go visit her when less than fully charged, and recharge there. If it's supposed to be done by the end of the year I would expect that the site would have been picked and construction would start Real Soon Now. I couldn't find anything (literally, anything) even using wildcards, on the permit site which looks like it's designed to look up the status of permits that you know the number of. I also searched the Santa Cruz Sentinel for mentions of Tesla in all of 2017 and found nothing -- except a generic AP article talking about how Tesla is building more superchargers.

Reactions: Robert831
Does anyone know anything more about this? I'm interested in it because my daughter lives in SC and it'd be good to go visit her when less than fully charged, and recharge there. If it's supposed to be done by the end of the year I would expect that the site would have been picked and construction would start Real Soon Now. I couldn't find anything (literally, anything) even using wildcards, on the permit site which looks like it's designed to look up the status of permits that you know the number of. I also searched the Santa Cruz Sentinel for mentions of Tesla in all of 2017 and found nothing -- except a generic AP article talking about how Tesla is building more superchargers.

Don't count on it for 2017. Tesla promised about 15 new bay area superchargers for 2017 and so far has started building 1.

Reactions: Robert831
Don't count on it for 2017. Tesla promised about 15 new bay area superchargers for 2017 and so far has started building 1.
If I had to speculate, which is kind of pointless but a fun exercise, here are a couple of possibilities for Santa Cruz:
1. The Costco parking lot.
2. The parking area by Wheel Works (Laurel and Front).
3. The Whole Foods parking lot (Soquel Ave. and Doyle).

I think they look for parking areas that are not in high demand and have good power lines nearby.

• Informative
Reactions: HillCountryFun

A relatively painless way to search for permits is to search by Permit Number which Contains E17-031. That brings up 2017 electrical permits. When they finish the 031s you can go on to the 032s etc. Most of the permits are residential, so you don't need to look at them in detail.

• Informative
Reactions: Robert831 and Ulmo
Is there any chance the permit was earlier than -032? Permit #E17-0267 for new 1200-amp service and transformer at 211 Fern ST. (a building adjacent to the CostCo parking lot, currently zoned/approved for auto repair) seems like it might be about the right size for up to a 10-spot supercharger station. The application was submitted on 9/5 of this year, but it is still under review.

What's the usual amps for a SuperCharger transformer?
Is there any chance the permit was earlier than -032? Permit #E17-0267 for new 1200-amp service and transformer at 211 Fern ST. (a building adjacent to the CostCo parking lot, currently zoned/approved for auto repair) seems like it might be about the right size for up to a 10-spot supercharger station. The application was submitted on 9/5 of this year, but it is still under review.
AHA! We may be onto something. Since it says "new 1200A service and transformer," that seems to imply it's not replacing an existing power feed.

Assuming the transformer is 480V 3-phase, which is common, then you get 997kW. I believe they allocate 145kW per pair of superchargers. This could power 6.8 pairs of superchargers. We may be looking at a future 12 or 14-stall lot!

The link to the land use data seems to have sketchy info. so I don't want to speculate too much. I don't know whether the plan is to tear down the existing building or chop down some trees. But I'll definitely do some stalking soon to see what's up.

I'm an electrical engineer.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Chuq and McManX
3-phase power, assuming a balanced load, is calculated like this:
Power = SQRT(3) * Voltage * Current
The voltage is always the phase-to-phase voltage, even if the device powered makes use of the neutral. When the load is balanced, the neutral current is zero and each hot leg has the same current. So it effectively becomes a delta circuit (no neutral).

• Informative
Reactions: Mrbrock and Ulmo
3-phase power, assuming a balanced load, is calculated like this:
Power = SQRT(3) * Voltage * Current
The voltage is always the phase-to-phase voltage, even if the device powered makes use of the neutral. When the load is balanced, the neutral current is zero and each hot leg has the same current. So it effectively becomes a delta circuit (no neutral).
I always use the L-N voltage to calculate the total kVA because it incorporates the SQRT(3) factor.
SQRT(3) * VLL * A = 3 * VLN * A = 3 * 277 * 1200 = 997.2kVA
The other way to know how many Supercharger cabinets a given amp rated transformer can support is to divide by 192A, the rated maximum draw of a Supercharger. 1200 / 192 = 6.25

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
I just visited the site in person. I can’t imagine that the tiny building there requires that much power. The area with the trees looks like it would be difficult to add a parking lot to. So I’m thinking they’re going to put the transformer by the building and run a conduit over to the Costco parking lot and put the superchargers there.

• Helpful
That makes sense.

My guess: Tesla tried to do a SuperCharger in that spot, but ran into political problems in Santa Cruz because Tesla is too right-wing and too conservative, and not liberal and green enough...
You may be right. I was starting to think Capitola and Scotts Valley might be reasonable alternatives.

But I think the goal is to serve the heavy traffic on highways 1, 9, and 17. So it's hard to imagine they would willingly locate the supercharger more than a couple of miles from where they all come together. If not Costco, maybe the parking lot at 36.983182, -122.028522.