Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Fe, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tinm

2020 Model S LR+ Owner
May 3, 2015
New Mexico, USA
Tesla emailed me today to say that they are making progress on site locations for the remaining superchargers promised in New Mexico, particularly in the southern half of the state.

However, what surprised me was that they also indicated that things are moving fastest, I guess you could say, on a SANTA FE location, and in fact they are "awaiting permits" for construction.

No idea where this Santa Fe location will be, but if they still like outlet mall locations, there is a perfect one at the intersection of Interstate 25 and Cerrillos Rd. A big outlet mall there with tons of parking.

Creating this topic to track progress on construction.

That's funny. I received an email from PNM last week stating they're installing two more DC chadmeo/css fast chargers within the next couple of months as well.

They said the first one will be between ABQ and Santa Fe, and other within Santa Fe. They asked where I thought the one between the cities should be located, I said at the turnoff of NM 22 from I-25 where the Phillips 66 station is, would be the most ideal. That way i3s, Leaf's, ect. can "tank up" before hitting that last main climb before rolling into Santa Fe.

I wonder why they feel there needs to be a charger in Santa Fe? To access Taos, Red River, Angel Fire more easily?

Last edited:
Unfortunately I wonder if Tesla is just studying their car fleet data and noticing, "gee, everybody passing through New Mexico takes I-40 from the east or I-40 from the west, and I-25 from ABQ northwards, not much I-10 traffic east or west... so we should add something in Santa Fe".... to which, if accurate, I would respond, "the reason there's no car data showing a lot of Teslas passing through the southern half of New Mexico is because there are no superchargers there yet, duh" but I digress :)

Reactions: BerTX
CONFIRMED. The Supercharger is going in at the Fashion Outlets of Santa Fe mall on Cerrillos near I-25. Looks like there will be ten charger spots. It'll probably open this winter. Stay tuned!

map.jpg

CONFIRMED. The Supercharger is going in at the Fashion Outlets of Santa Fe mall on Cerrillos near I-25. Looks like there will be ten charger spots. It'll probably open this winter
Your source for that claim? The Tesla 2016 Supercharger map at Supercharger | Tesla does not show one in Santa Fe. And the Las Vegas and Albuquerque chargers are not far away.

I'm not saying a Santa Fe Supercharger won't happen at some point, I'm just surprised to see it this year. And I agree with @reddy, the I-10 corridor needs some locations, certainly before Santa Fe. The I-10 is supposed to be covered this year according to the map but it doesn't look like it is going to happen.

Hey, I am as surprised as anyone. And yes, I immediately questioned "why Santa Fe" and "it's not even on the map, what about the five unbuilt sites in the southern half of state that we've all been waiting for," etc. But hey, what I was told by two sources, one inside the company, and one familiar with the actual site and the plans for the site, is that the next supercharger in NM is in Santa Fe. And today I learned it's where I guessed it would be -- the outlet mall. I'm still awaiting word from a third source -- the City of Santa Fe Building Permits division. They may never reply to my inquiries, I don't know.

Not as nice a site as say Gilroy, CA, which has a big outlet mall across the street, but then in the same parking lot, an IN-N-OUT Burger. (Oh, if only New Mexico had 'em. Heck, I'd settle for a Chipotle in Santa Fe...)

There is one restaurant in the Santa Fe outlet mall, an authentic New Mexican cuisine place (I've never been). Plenty of other food nearby for long-distance travelers to pick up then charge, or stay in a nearby hotel and charge. Face it this Santa Fe site is, as someone else mentioned, a waypoint, not a destination.

Your source for that claim? The Tesla 2016 Supercharger map at Supercharger | Tesla does not show one in Santa Fe. And the Las Vegas and Albuquerque chargers are not far away.

I'm not saying a Santa Fe Supercharger won't happen at some point, I'm just surprised to see it this year. And I agree with @reddy, the I-10 corridor needs some locations, certainly before Santa Fe. The I-10 is supposed to be covered this year according to the map but it doesn't look like it is going to happen.

Certainly won't be the 1st time Tesla has opened a supercharger not listed on the 2016 map. Or skipped a much needed supercharger in favor of an infill site.

New Mexico has some of the most restrictive, protectionist laws in the country, preventing Tesla from opening *any* stores or service centers. The auto dealer lobby in this state is doing everything they can to keep it that way. Evidently the just poured a ton of money into legislator campaigns on both sides of the aisle. Plus, earlier this month they apparently sent a letter to every member of the legislature spewing all sorts of lies about Tesla and Tesla owners. Basically they are scared of the 21st century and they are desperately trying to hold on to an outdated business model that consumers hate.

All that said, I'm doubtful an off-the-beaten-track supercharger way down Cerrillos Rd near I-25 interchange will even get on the radar of any legislator. What would get on their radar is hearing from hundreds, preferably thousands, of Model 3 reservation holders wondering why the hell this state is blocking interstate commerce and widespread adoption of emissions-free vehicles and making itself the laughingstock of the nation by doing so.

Just new to the forum but a real fan, stockholder and Model S owner. Does anyone know someone in the Tesla organization I could talk to about service? I have some ideas that might help until NM get's it's act together. Trying to take care of such a huge area out of Denver is not going work with the Model III coming on line.

... what about the five unbuilt sites in the southern half of state that we've all been waiting for," etc...
I'd be interested to know more details about these southern SC sites. We're planning on driving to Los Lunas over Christmas and can depend on the SCs along the way up to Albuquerque but after that, there's nothing! We're staying at Isleta and they don't have destination charging. There are some chargers on plugshare.com but they're slow.

Ideas?

Tesla told me that they've made "significant progress in Las Cruces and Santa Fe." That was a response to one of my routine inquiries every few months this year to see about the five sites on Tesla's 2016 charger map that still have not been built.

So I wrote back asking for details on the meaning of "significant progress" (they must love me). Their reply:

"Significant progress means that we have scouted for locations, approached a variety of property owners, and are either in negotiation or are working on construction drawings for the site. In fact, in Santa Fe, we are now awaiting permits for construction.
Again, the maps on our website are not a guarantee. While we are aiming to open as many sites as possible in 2016, it’s possible some sites in New Mexico will not open until 2017."

So, I am encouraged that Las Cruces is going to have a Supercharger. In fact I'm going to go open a thread for Las Cruces and copy some of this info over there so folks interested in Las Cruces can start tracking that site separately.

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
I'd be interested to know more details about these southern SC sites. We're planning on driving to Los Lunas over Christmas and can depend on the SCs along the way up to Albuquerque but after that, there's nothing! We're staying at Isleta and they don't have destination charging. There are some chargers on plugshare.com but they're slow.

Ideas?
Use the slow charging? If you're staying overnight it's not a big deal. Heck even a wall outlet would work if you're staying a few days.

Politics? Isn't NM one of the states that limits Tesla stores? Could be that making it easy to get to and Supercharge in the state capital would help with the visibility of Tesla among lawmakers.

Just speculating...
I'm guessing that supercharger is there to boost up the car battery for those heading to the Taos ski area. The climb from Albuquerque into Santa Fe eats up around 20 kwh of battery at highway speeds. Boost up the battery, and you have plenty of margin to turn on the heaters and cruise at hw speeds into the Taos (or Red River, or Angel Fire) ski areas. Only reason that makes sense, since Las Vegas is pretty easy hw driving

Santa Fe, NM

Interstates: I-25
US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-85

I-25:
To: Las Vegas, NM - 71.9 miles
Diversion: 2 miles

From: Farmington, NM (US-64, NM-5500, US-550, I-25) - 200 miles
To: Santa Rosa, NM (I-25, US-285, I-40) - 114 miles