Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Maria, CA (LIVE 18 May 2022, 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Couple quotes from the article.

Charging a Tesla vehicle at a Supercharger delivers a consistent, nearly 72-kilowatts stream of power that charges the vehicle in about an hour.”

So it will be urban chargers maybe?

”Using the charging station would come at no cost to the public.”

This must mean the L2 stations. Never seen a free supercharger unless the rent Tesla is paying covers electrical cost the city is paying but very doubtful this is the situation.

”Using the charging station would come at no cost to the public.”

This must mean the L2 stations. Never seen a free supercharger unless the rent Tesla is paying covers electrical cost the city is paying but very doubtful this is the situation.
Lol. I'm positive that's a misunderstanding of what was discussed at the meeting. For sure they are talking about costs to the city, i.e. public government. Meaning Tesla is going to pay 100% of the the construction and operation costs, including all the costs for any capital improvements to the site needed to make the charging station possible. The city just has to agree to lease them the space, and Tesla does absolutely everything else. Using the superchargers will still cost money to anyone charging who's car doesn't have free supercharging. Using the L2 stations will likely be free, at least until Tesla fully deploys their paying option for HPWCs when Tesla will/may have an option to start charging for using them if they so desire (unless this is prohibited by the terms of the lease agreement).

Reactions: Chuq
Santa Maria, CA

Along Primary Interstates: None
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-101
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None
Along State Routes: CA-166

US-101

To: Pismo Beach, CA - 19.5 miles
Diversion: 2.2 miles
To: San Luis Obispo - Los Osos Valley Rd, CA - 30.6 miles

More US-101 Supercharging. Also on CA-166, for anybody who needs or wants to take that route. There's always one.

EDIT: Oh crap, I hope this isn't just urban. I exclude urban.

Charging a Tesla vehicle at a Supercharger delivers a consistent, nearly 72-kilowatts stream of power that charges the vehicle in about an hour.”

Does Tesla even install the 72kW "urban" chargers any more? It seems that since the advent of version 3 that all new construction has been 250kW, with maybe a handful of previously-permitted version 2 150kW stations.

But I do not keenly follow all new locations across the US of A.

In my area Tesla has built out Supercharger locations and included at least two ChargePoint L2 chargers (four stalls). They pay for all the construction as I understand. The ChargePoints are operated by ChargePoint and people pay CP for electricity used. I have heard of Tesla doing leases, think it use to be 10 years with increase after certain period and option for Tesla to extend the lease but that was years ago.

Haven’t been down that way since before Covid but spent quite a bit of time in Santa Maria and area. As I recall the Mall garage I’m thinking about is at the North end of town off 101. Remember stopping in the mall and parking in that garage, if same, and at night thought it was a higher crime area and the mall wasn’t all that great. The article had recent photos of the mall so maybe it’s changed.

I kind of thought the Cinema shopping area along 101 or the big shopping center at Betteravia exit would be better suited but maybe this location would be less expensive leasing and something easier to get City and local merchant approval and therefore quicker install.

We’ve taken a number of trips to this area over the years and once we got our Teslas always hoped there would be a Supercharger location down here. It was get a boost charge near SLO and wait until Santa Ynez/Solvang otherwise if you were staying down in between and wanted range. Otherwise there were a few destination chargers at wineries (highly recommend Presqu’ile Winery in Santa Maria high on the hill off the Clark exit—hopefully outdoor concerts will happen again) but they general were listed for customer use. Now Teslas have Pismo SCs south of SLO, but that can still be inconvenient if staying in Nipomo or Santa Maria or heading over to see a SpaceX launch at Vandenberg. So a good move in any event adding them to Santa Maria.

Have to say I never saw many Teslas down in this area but hope that’s changing and really would be helped along if they add a service center too.

Lol. I'm positive that's a misunderstanding of what was discussed at the meeting. For sure they are talking about costs to the city, i.e. public government. Meaning Tesla is going to pay 100% of the the construction and operation costs, including all the costs for any capital improvements to the site needed to make the charging station possible. The city just has to agree to lease them the space, and Tesla does absolutely everything else. Using the superchargers will still cost money to anyone charging who's car doesn't have free supercharging. Using the L2 stations will likely be free, at least until Tesla fully deploys their paying option for HPWCs when Tesla will/may have an option to start charging for using them if they so desire (unless this is prohibited by the terms of the lease agreement).

After carefully reading the article, and who knows what final agreement might be reached, it sounded to me that Tesla would pay for the install of the “public” L2s but no mention of who foots the bill for the electricity. I’m going to guess maybe a compromise between the City and the shopping mall to foot “public” charging like in other cities. Tesla’s contribution to bring charging to SM already sounds like quite a bit. I did not read the article to indicate these would be HPWCs. Still think they will be ChargePoints and likely maintenance would be ChargePoints responsibility.

After carefully reading the article, and who knows what final agreement might be reached, it sounded to me that Tesla would pay for the install of the “public” L2s but no mention of who foots the bill for the electricity. I’m going to guess maybe a compromise between the City and the shopping mall to foot “public” charging like in other cities. Tesla’s contribution to bring charging to SM already sounds like quite a bit. I did not read the article to indicate these would be HPWCs. Still think they will be ChargePoints and likely maintenance would be ChargePoints responsibility.
That's an interesting thought about electric costs. I've been to other superchargers that had ChargePoint L2 chargers installed by Tesla, but I never thought to see if there was a separate meter for the L2 equipment that could be billed separately from the supercharger's usage by the utility.

Generally ChargePoint charges are set by agreement between CP and the land owner/operator, so in this case it might be the mall operator. I've seen many cities that offer free CP charging, but not many commercial parking places, like a mall or movie theater.

I was at Salem OR, last week and there are ChargePoint chargers there in the Target lot next to the very-new superchargers. On PlugShare these are listed as "first 2 hours free, $2/hr thereafter". To fill up with, say 60kWh, would be about the same cost on the supercharger (28 cents/kWh for those who pay) but obviously take much longer (camp overnight?). A smaller charge would be cheaper if you have the time, plus there's no idle fees from ChargePoint. I doubt security would blink an eye seeing a Tesla parked by the superchargers in the middle of the night with someone sleeping inside.

Same trip I was in Gilroy CA at the Outlets, paying 16 cents per kWh to supercharge but the ChargePoint chargers are listed as 40 cents per kWh. I guess the mall operator there didn't want to subsidize anything there.

So who owns/operates the mall in Santa Maria?

One of the convenient things about the Mall location on Main St. however worth point out before you pass by it is that if you take Main St (Rt 166) west until you hit Rt 1 (Cabrillo Hwy), turn north on Rt 1 and then west on Oso Flaco Lake Rd at Stop Sign, continue on until you reach the Guadalupe-Nipomo Dunes parking lot, you’ll be treated to the dunes and Pacific Ocean. It’s about 15 miles to the parking lot from the Mall. It’s a fabulous walk west from the parking lot past Oso Flaco Lake and it’s habitat (most via boardwalk) until you start to hear the ocean waves and climb over the dune crest to see the Pacific Ocean. Fun to walk the beach, grab some rays (sun) and look for shells and sand dollars.

Also worth mentioning — On route to the dunes you’ll drive right past the Dunes Visitor Center in the small town of Guadalupe. About 9 miles from the Mall. It’s a nature center and also features photos and some of the actual display props/artifacts from the 1923 Cecil B. deMille silent movie The Ten Commandments which was buried in the dunes out there decades ago instead of carting back to Hollywood. The dune location became the City of the Pharaoh in the movie. The set was 12-story high and 800 feet wide. DeMille probably smiled at the thought his Pharaoh’s city was meant to be buried by the sands like in Egypt with the real cities and tombs. There’s a short film you can watch of the movie set’s recovery from the sands that took place back in 2012. Check hours though if you want to visit.

Last edited:
Here's a bit more in the way of links if you want to visit the Dunes near Santa Maria. Will be so convenient to the Superchargers when they go in. BTW pre-covid, the lodging situation in this part of Central Coastal California got super hard to find during the summer. People book early.

KSBY had this news story on the proposed Tesla Supercharger location in Santa Maria. The article indicates that the City will vote on it on Tuesday, April 6, so hopefully we'll know more after that vote.

at least interview someone who can home charge instead of a supercharger leech. Makes it seem like he had to charge in Pismo exclusively and is certainly a turn off to the brand if you know nothing about them

Here's the Agenda Report on Tesla's proposal for the Tuesday, 4/6, meeting. Includes proposed agreement and diagrams. This is Item 3H on the agenda that night (87 - 104) under Recreation and Parks. The Regular Meeting starts at 5:30pm.

From a cursory reading of the agreement Tesla is agreeing to install and maintain the L2 chargers btw. The agreement stipulates the 12 L2 stations installed by Tesla are free of charge for the public use and no cost to the City. Tesla pays for all utility charges including the L2s. The City is referred to as "City in its role as property owner and separately from its role as a permitting body"

How to observe the Meeting:

To maximize public safety while still maintaining transparency and public access, members of the public can observe the meeting on Comcast Channel 23* or by visiting the Live Stream page on the City’s meeting portal /Portal/CitizenEngagement.aspx. You may also Live Stream the meeting from the City’s You Tube Channel https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLN7bMlSUIgZeGyM57KCt4RkzjEFZuGi78.
Live stream links are typically available on the City's portal page within 30 minutes of the start of the meeting. You may also go to the City's YouTube page, click on the 3-lines at the top left side (next to the YouTube logo) to select the drop-down box and click LIVE to find the meeting on YouTube's live page.

*assume this is just for Santa Maria Comcast subscribers btw

This was kind of interesting upon reading:
on Tesla having the option to terminate the Agreement prior to Possession Date in the event that...
"(c) Tesla determines it will not be feasible to operate the Supercharger Station due to restraints related to the Normal Business Hours (as defined in Section 9.B)" Now not listed as 9B but 10: "...Tesla is authorized to operate and collect payment for use of the Supercharger Station year-round, including holidays and weekends subject to the Normal Business Hours that the Property is accessible to the public. Normal Business Hours” shall mean 6 A.M. to 1 A.M., or subject to Laws (as defined below), or such other hours as may be agreed upon in writing by City and Tesla, in good faith." That's kind of weird wording to me. I know a parking garage adjacent to a Target in Philadelphia has a gate and it closes after a certain hour but don't believe this is the situation in Santa Maria at this mall.

Last edited:
Reactions: mociaf9
at least interview someone who can home charge instead of a supercharger leech. Makes it seem like he had to charge in Pismo exclusively and is certainly a turn off to the brand if you know nothing about them

There are a lot of apartment dwellers in Santa Maria with no charging ability at home. Not everyone is a home owner. Maybe Supercharging is his only option. Lots of apartment and condo owners in same situation and reliant upon other charging options, free public or pay-per-charge. I'm guessing the majority of Tesla owners do not get free Supercharging, so they are paying but just not through at home electricty.

Last edited:
Reactions: bmah
There are a lot of apartment dwellers in Santa Maria with no charging ability at home. Not everyone is a home owner. Maybe Supercharging is his only option. Lots of apartment and condo owners in same situation and reliant upon other charging options, free public or pay-per-charge. I'm guessing the majority of Tesla owners do not get free Supercharging, so they are paying but just not through at home electricty.
I have been a resident of Santa Maria quite recently 2018-2019. Just saying in particular, if you bought a Tesla in SM and couldnt charge at home it was a terrible decision because there was nothing available anywhere prior to the Lowe’s L2 set up and it would have been miserable. Just annoyed at the framing of it

I have been a resident of Santa Maria quite recently 2018-2019. Just saying in particular, if you bought a Tesla in SM and couldnt charge at home it was a terrible decision because there was nothing available anywhere prior to the Lowe’s L2 set up and it would have been miserable. Just annoyed at the framing of it
That's really a sad statement about the City of Santa Maria. San Luis Obispo has had free J1772 chargers in City owned and other public lots for at least 8-10 years. In fact, I bought my RAV4 EV in Oxnard and drove it home to Los Altos in 2013. I stayed overnight at one of the hotels across the street from the SLO Promenade shopping center, which hosted free Clipper Creek charging stations so that I could charge overnight to make it home.

That's really a sad statement about the City of Santa Maria. San Luis Obispo has had free J1772 chargers in City owned and other public lots for at least 8-10 years. In fact, I bought my RAV4 EV in Oxnard and drove it home to Los Altos in 2013. I stayed overnight at one of the hotels across the street from the SLO Promenade shopping center, which hosted free Clipper Creek charging stations so that I could charge overnight to make it home.
Yes I spend lots of time in SLO still to this day and it’s much much better. SM has never even come close to matching what SLO has for L2

The Resolution to adopt the proposal of Tesla's Supercharger and other L2 charging stations at the Mall Parking Garage was approved as recommended under the roll call vote. No discussion on it so unclear about a time table. I heard one member of the public from the Las Padres Sierra Club speak on behalf of the proposal and comment that he hoped the City would enforce appropriate "charging only" usage with regard to the charging spaces. One of the council members assured him that this would be handled by Tesla and the City.

One other thing I came away with from the meeting was that Electrify America will be putting in charging stalls at the Target on Betteravia. This kind of surprised me as Tesla has worked with Target for placing their stations in the Target lot. I remember someone posting a list of Tesla Target locations and wonder if Santa Maria was on it. Santa Maria does appear on Electrify America's website at this location as "coming soon". Guess for Supercharging a covered open air garage area might be more efficient when it's hot outside.

In any event this looks to now be Tesla SC site we can list (unless either party backs out prior to commencement date). Given how Tesla tried to negotiate something with the City last spring, I'm sure Tesla would like to get this completed as soon as possible and before Summer what with California opening up soon and more cars hitting the road.

I think it's safe to change the thread title to something like -- 20 Teslas Superchargers, 12 L2 Chargers, Town Center East Garage, East Main Street.

Last edited: