Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Monica, CA (LIVE 18 Feb 2022, 62 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe Tesla should ask for volunteers to help out here. I love me some good demolition!

RT

The son of a late former client of mine works explosives and demolition in the Tahoe area. Winters he is up on ski slopes and canyons to detonate explosives to reduce the chances of avalanche. Summers he is blowing up granite, trees, and whatever else to maintain safe roads, highways, trails, and anything else that needs clearing.

You think you might be interested in a job? I think I still have his number somewhere . . .

The big site in Kettleman City was announced or discovered around July of last year, and opened in November. So roughly 4 months. That site was in the middle of nowhere essentially so getting it permitted and built out probably didn't have too much red tape. This site is far more urban, so I'd expect it to take slightly longer to get going.

Reactions: rrosenbl
Not much of an update but it seems that the status of the permit has changed. The demolition of the existing small building at the proposed site is now *in review*.

Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 12.44.45 AM.png

Note the recently-opened Phoenix East thread for a picture of canopied urban chargers - it’s a pretty compact footprint.

This Santa Monica location may get 16 pedestals only because they may want additional spaces for ICEs. If they keep it Tesla only, which I would think might be a challenge *unless* they get creative with real clear signage and limited access - (note Kettleman which worked out fine), then certainly there would be room for 24 or more pedestals.

There’s an EBJ (El Burrito Jr.) in Redondo that’s about the size of a large bathroom that cranks out a *lot* of food quickly. The original Standing Room is another tiny joint that does large volume. When you think about it, they don’t need any more space than what a food truck would require.

Can’t wait to see the plans. If they can make this work in Santa Monica with the insane cost of land there, then all of California is fair game for a chain of these - as is every freeway and tollway travel plaza on the continent, but I digress.

No harm in renting out the real estate pending permit approval and construction commencement. Besides, we don't know if Tesla has closed on the sale or not--the escrow period might be lengthy and dependent upon other factors beyond Tesla's control. For all we know, Tesla still is not the fee simple owner of this parcel.

I've been keeping an eye on this site. It's become a holding pen for honey wagons and film production vehicles, plus the pesky rent sign. Supercharger, burger poodle skirt delay? abandonment?

That is how this lot has been used for the last couple of couple of years (rented parking for special occasion / events). I imagine that won't change until Tesla is ready and able to start construction as it is basically free money for them to collect.

Good thing is idling fees will cause a pretty fast turnaround.

I’d like to see a pilot program for higher idle fees and can think of no better location at which to launch said pilot than this roller skate drive-in SC location.

How much higher? Keep the $24/hr current level until an owner exceeds 60 minutes of idle time. Then step up idle fees for all of that owner’s vehicles to $60/hr until 120 minutes of idle time accrues - then bump it to $5/minute from that $1/minute and the current $0.40/minute rates.

ICEing by our own aside, neverminding for a moment that this very malaise is the #1 challenge for SC optimization, my question is this:

How does Tesla keep ICEs out of the drive-in restaurant SC stalls 24/7? Tesla is going to have to step up its signage and stall painting games in a big way. Or perhaps they add an access gate, the code for which will be included in the Nav pop-up for this location. Or a combination of all 3 (signage including municipal no parking signs, and tow company signs, along with a whole bunch of green paint and the physical barrier) *plus* on site security similar to what’s at the SpaceX SC.

It’s a bit of a challenge since you want the restaurant to do as well as possible - especially given the Santa Monica rent and taxes, but can’t ICE the stalls either.

Last edited: